What's new

How do I adjust a Vision?

I just got my brand new Merkur Vision in the mail today, and am looking forward to tomorrow morning's shave--however, I'm not sure how to adjust the blade opening. As a first timer, what's better--a closed or open setting?

I visually adjust my Vision. Not all razors are aligned correctly. If you view the razor head sideways and start turning the adjustment you will see what I mean. A closed setting is a safer shave. Enjoy.

Austin said:
I visually adjust my Vision. Not all razors are aligned correctly. If you view the razor head sideways and start turning the adjustment you will see what I mean. A closed setting is a safer shave. Enjoy.

That's what I wanted to know! I have Visions--no pun intended!--of a scene from Carrie in my shower tomorrow morning as I experiment on my face with this monster--thanks!

Good idea to visually verify the opening.. Assuming that your razor is least aggressive (Least Blade Exposure) with the "N" under the Mercury Head and most aggressive with the "V" under Mercury's Head, a setting of "O" or "N" for the first shave or two will give you an unthreatening opportunity to get used to the heft and balance of this great shaving machine. Enjoy, relax, and let the weight of the razor do the work.. Try not to choke up too much on the handle as it is a formula for nicks and cuts. Make your strokes S-L-O-W-L-Y and be prepared for a great shave.

guenron said:
Good idea to visually verify the opening.. Assuming that your razor is least aggressive (Least Blade Exposure) with the "N" under the Mercury Head and most aggressive with the "V" under Mercury's Head, a setting of "O" or "N" for the first shave or two will give you an unthreatening opportunity to get used to the heft and balance of this great shaving machine. Enjoy, relax, and let the weight of the razor do the work.. Try not to choke up too much on the handle as it is a formula for nicks and cuts. Make your strokes S-L-O-W-L-Y and be prepared for a great shave.

Thanks for the advice--this gives me a sense of what to do with the razor--which is a pretty threatening piece of machinery as it sits, gleaming in its box. I have to say I'm a bit intimidated, but also looking forward to the experience.

mrob,

Yes it is an intimidating weapon indeed..Take it slow, keep the setting less agressive and work your way up. No need to start out too bold..Find your comfort area with the blade, take it nice and slow and let it do all the work.

Remember, it doesn't need any of your help to cut your hairs. Just guide it, much like a pet badger on a leash...just follow it. :001_rolle

Well, I had my inaugural shave with the Vision this AM, and I'm not sure what to think. I was so nervous about gouging myself that I may have used too LITTLE pressure, so the shave was not as close as I've been used to getting--a fair amount of stubble. However, I only did 2 passes, both with the grain, and refrained from a sideways pass on #2 for fear of irritation.

I'm thinking of trying 2 passes tomorrow AM, with #2 being sideways, and see if that improves the closeness of the shave--any ideas? I'm figuring its better to start with less aggression and work my way up?

mrob said:
Well, I had my inaugural shave with the Vision this AM, and I'm not sure what to think. I was so nervous about gouging myself that I may have used too LITTLE pressure, so the shave was not as close as I've been used to getting--a fair amount of stubble. However, I only did 2 passes, both with the grain, and refrained from a sideways pass on #2 for fear of irritation.

I'm thinking of trying 2 passes tomorrow AM, with #2 being sideways, and see if that improves the closeness of the shave--any ideas? I'm figuring its better to start with less aggression and work my way up?

I sounds like you got off to a good start. Better to err on the side of caution. Try a #3 setting tomorrow. If you want to go east to west, dial it down to #2. Adjust your setting daily until you find the right one for you. Good luck.

mrob,

trust me when i tell you that you've done yourself a favor by going easy. If you read the reviews on the review section, you'll see that everyone says it has a learning curve, it does. So just go easy, get a feel for it and let your face adjust.

Better safe than sorry, eh? Although I am eager to find out what this thing can do. . .

Well, if you wanna see what she'll do, open it up as far as it will allow and go to town.

Remember, curiosity killed the cat. :001_rolle

Top Bottom