What's new

How do I actually get a wolfman

The title petty much says it. Aside from paying some crazy ebay price how do you actually get a new one? I heard the store just randomly opens with no warning or announcement. The waitlist has been cancelled right?

With 85 DE and SE razors in my drawer, many of whom are outstanding performers, why do I need a Wolfman? Gimme 3 reasons, please. And 2 of the 3 reasons would have to be reasons my longsuffering wife would buy into.

Furthermore, the last New Years resolution I made was, "Never ever stand in line to spend my hard earned money."

Furthermore, the last New Years resolution I made was, "Never ever stand in line to spend my hard earned money."

So glad I'm not the only one, though I apply this to everything, not just razors.

If I have to spend both my time and money - then that's not the product I'm interested in, as amazing as it might be - life's too short for this. :D :D

You have to join or follow (not sure the term as I have neither) him on FB or Instagram. He mentions when he will release razors. Then get on his site and hopefully buy one once they are available.

I'm fully convinced the Wolfman is pretty much a mix of hype & mystery because of its exclusiveness. If it were more readily available people would probably hardly bring it up.

Remember how hot the Rockwell 6s, Timeless or Karve Razors initially were? Imagine the production had remained scarce. That's Wolfman. Probably a really good razor. But definitely overhyped a overpriced.

Don't lose sleep over it.

I'm fully convinced the Wolfman is pretty much a mix of hype & mystery because of its exclusiveness. If it were more readily available people would probably hardly bring it up.

Remember how hot the Rockwell 6s, Timeless or Karve Razors initially were? Imagine the production had remained scarce. That's Wolfman. Probably a really good razor. But definitely overhyped a overpriced.

Don't lose sleep over it.

I have owned both Wolfman and BBS-1 razors, and I would agree that they’re overhyped. They are great razors in that James does an excellent job machining them with tight tolerances. They are also beautiful. For some people I imagine they do shave just right. However, there are other well made razors with tight tolerances and that are beautiful. I have not seen a razor as highly polished as a Wolfman, but otherwise there are razors as nice.

The true determining factor for me is the razor design and the shaves it delivers. In this category while I found the Wolfman and BBS-1 good, they were beat out by the ATT S1 and the Timeless 0.68. However, both of those razors are easily obtainable. There is no thrill of the hunt and no one cares if you bought one, so other shavers won’t post envious comments about how lucky you are to have one.

This phenomenon is rife throughout this hobby. Another good example is Wiborg shaving brushes. Go back and find posts when the brushes were more available. Some shavers really liked them, and some liked other brushes better. Now that you can’t get one, nothing is so exalted as a Wiborg.

None of this is to knock anyone who wants to seek out a Wolfman, a Wiborg, or any other piece of unobtanium. I’ve hunted down my fair share of stuff and along the way figured out what I like. Maybe the thing you like and hunt down will be worth it, or maybe you’ll find you really like some mundane shaving item anyone can get that happens to give you amazing shaves. Either way, have fun on the journey.

Last edited:
"In Transylvania, Wolfman gets you."

This phenomenon is rife throughout this hobby. Another good example is Wiborg shaving brushes. Go back and find posts when the brushes were more available. Some shavers really liked them, and some liked other brushes better. Now that you can’t get one, nothing is so exalted as a Wiborg.
Sounds almost like the Slashdot Effect.

Ditto that.

Don't get me wrong, from what I've seen they are beautiful works of art but spending money on this sort of thing shouldn't be an exercise in aggravation (hint hint Italian Barber, you have a LOT of items out of stock at the moment). And yes, there is a certain cool factor that he's in my backyard and buying local would be great. But there are all sorts of other nice razors to acquire.

I have owned both Wolfman and BBS-1 razors, and I would agree that they’re overhyped. They are great razors in that James does an excellent job machining them with tight tolerances. They are also beautiful. For some people I imagine they do shave just right. However, there are other well made razors with tight tolerances and that are beautiful. I have not seen a razor as highly polished as a Wolfman, but otherwise there are razors as nice.

The true determining factor for me is the razor design and the shaves it delivers. In this category while I found the Wolfman and BBS-1 good, they were beat out by the ATT S1 and the Timeless 0.68. However, both of those razors are easily obtainable. There is no thrill of the hunt and no one cares if you bought one, so other shavers won’t post envious comments about how lucky you are to have one.

None of this is to knock anyone who wants to seek out a Wolfman, a Wiborg, or any other piece of unobtanium. I’ve hunted down my fair share of stuff and along the way figured out what I like. Maybe the thing you like and hunt down will be worth it, or maybe you’ll find you really like some mundane shaving item anyone can get that happens to give you amazing shaves. Either way, have fun on the journey.
This. You hit bullseye, now expect a train to head your way full speed - horns blaring !

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

I have been trying for a little over 3 years now. Was on the first wait list and my name got dropped. Then the wait for the second, had a number that did make the list but I was changed to a worthless number. Tried the Facebook to no avail. Finally bit the bullet and bought one second hand.

So was it worth it? IMO yes and no. The razor for me is great. I do not need any other. As for the disappointment on the wait, I wish I had one years ago. Wasted so much money on other razors. Personally I think James should be more fair and honest. There are many shavers trying like me while others write they have numerous razors. Does one really need 4 or more Wolfman razors?

My advice to you is no advice. I have tried everything except writing James, did that when I got dropped the first time and will never write him again. Blaming a computer glitch is not an answer IMO. Two people have told me that if you have one James allows you to order additional ones. Don’t know if true but these individuals always have multiple Wolfman.

Best I can say is good luck.

I have a WR1with 0.61mm gap and a BBS-1. They cost me no more than their retail price.

They're worth it. Having tried too many razors, modern and vintage, these two are something else.

Would I ever pay ridiculous prices to get them? Certainly no.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
A subtitle to this thread might be how do i find a unicorn? Or why do i want to.
like others here (i appreciate the no waiting in line motto) i gave up looking at that site. They are never available and thats true even with some recent "news" that they moved to a larger machine shop hired someone made shipping arrangements bla bla bla
it almost seems like a scam. a web site with no products.

I find more excitement in buying what I can afford. I got a Gillette Aristocrat with its box and most of its plating for $23.00. That to me is the thrill of the hunt. Would I like a Wolfman more than that? I just don't think I would, honestly! Personally, I do not find them artistic or worthy of hunting down. I would probably spend the money, use it once, then feel guilty that I spent it on something that delivers a similar shave or barely better at more than ten times the price. Maybe I could make some profit on ebay, but then again, my time could be better spent doing something else.

Is it a status symbol? Is it an investment? Does anyone out there really care one way or the other? Where exactly is the appeal, here? I can't see why any razor is worth that kind of money when shaving is for my own personal enjoyment.

What does the flippin thing do for that kind of money?

Top Bottom