What's new

How do Astras compare to Red Packs?

Do they feel as smooth if not smoother? I'm just hoping they dont tug as much as Derbies do and dont scrape as badly as Feathers do

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
First answer, YMMV :biggrin:

Now, some find the red pack smoother, other don't. I do find Astra better than Personna because I get more shaves out of them. They feel sharper than Derby or Personna to me. They are very close to Feather but not quite.

Lately, I tried Kai and that blade is pretty sharp and smooth!!

In my experience, I get closer shaves with less irritation with the Astra. They are one of the top three blades in my rotation. On the other hand, I have piffed off all my red personnas

Yeah, Astras are by far my favorite blade. Much smoother than feathers, but comparable in sharpness (except ever so slightly less sharp). Also much sharper than Red Ps, but just as smooth.

I can only compare them to my favorite blade, the red Personna. They are sharper but to me not quite as smooth. In all a very good blade.

Len

I can only compare them to my favorite blade, the red Personna. They are sharper but to me not quite as smooth. In all a very good blade.

Len

Well, I like the red Personnas. Don't know if better than the Astras, I like them too, but for the price I like the reds better. They work at a good price.

I consider both to be smooth but I find the Red IP's to be more so than Astra Superior Platinum.

Personally I have not been impressed with the RPs, I love the Astras with the 7 o'clock yellow packs a very close second.

The astra SP are a bit sharper, but the RP have more longevity and smoothness. Pricewise the Astras are a few dollars more per 100 but can be the same if you buy them in bulk of 1000 blades.

I shaved with my first Astra a few days ago and it was great. smooth and sharp.

i shaved with my first red persona today and :eek:

it was awful . . . reminded me of my first awful de shave with a parker 22 and the crap 7 a.m. blades it came with.

Astra's are my second favorite blade after feathers.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
From the sampler pack I had I liked Astras the best but I got a good deal on Derbys and difference for me was very small . . . quality wise . . . so I went with the Derbys

The Astra Superior Platinum are slightly better IMO. The Astra superior Stainless are also good blades.

having had and shaved with both for a long time, the Red packs are much smoother while the ASP is sharper. In fact, I have moved the Red Packs to my third favorite blade behind Feathers and Gillette SharpEdge 7'O Clocks. price wise, they are first.

Now I just have to find the razor that that works best w the Gillettes.

marty

Top Bottom