What's new

How Disappointing To You Is A Soap You're Not Happy With The Scent of?

Thanks
I remember seeing a bottle of the after shave my dad had when I was young so like 50+ years ago ?
Was at razor emporium and sniffed it :) It did remind me of my youth and smelling grown up things :) ahhaahha

Reckon will try to know :) and I hear folks like the soap maybe if I do try the after shave

I actually liked the soap but bought the a/s and then ended up giving that away. Too GIRLY for me as a fragrance to wear.

While initially disappointed, I try to give an iffy at least a couple tries. I've had a few that I hated initially, like B+M Leviathan, and then something just clicked into place in my nose and it's one of my favorites now. Giving up right away, I would have missed out.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I'm not a picky eater, and I love Tabac, Arko, Williams, Cella, whatever as long as it's a good shave. Bet there's a connection.

Will Rogers said "I never met a man I didn't like".
I'm not so forgiving. But "I never met a potato I didn't like" is mine.
I've been waiting for someone to start linking peer reviewed academic journal articles around here. Classes up the place a bit, gives it a little gravitas. Can we infer from this article that Arko in fact tastes more than smells like a urinal cake?

I still want to try tabac but might skip ?
some of the stories are good humor though and makes me think twice :) hahahaha
It’s a crying shame Fine switched from using the tabac base. it was awesome, especially FAB, but so is a Bunch of others that don’t stink. Use what you like, theres to good of a selection not to.

Went to razor emporium today fun to have a actual store to go to
I did come home with a new semogue brush and some cella aftershave that I liked

so after smelling tabac in the store today :) I decided no tabac for me ? Was not bad its just not me🥺
I had thought of those grandma handbag comments hahahahahah
maybe more my aunt who had the hard ribbon candies all stuck together in the dish on the table Anyway kinda reminded me of what her “Powder room” smelled like 50 years ago flashed in my head and was always confused at that smell as a child so pass for me ;)

also got to smell arko saw it on the bottom shelf and thought OH FINALLY !
Can see where the cleaning product comments come from but was not as rough as I thought it was going to be

So many things I can smell once and say thats nice I might not bother with the ones I have to keep smelling and think do I like this hahhahaha

I'm a Lather Bros fan and ordered a few soaps recently. From what I can tell, the new Bro soap is just relabeled Irish Cubano, a soap I never liked. Disappointing purchase. Goes to show, sample first.

Just one tossed ( actually donated to my son). Sterling Sheep tallow ( unscented) smelled like a very bad barnyard experience. Shame because it was slick. Baaaaaa!

Just one tossed ( actually donated to my son). Sterling Sheep tallow ( unscented) smelled like a very bad barnyard experience. Shame because it was slick. Baaaaaa!

You could try Stirling Unscented with Beeswax, if you want an unscented Stirling that doesn't smell like barnyard. I can attest to the fact that Beeswax performs quite well. Pity they haven't made any more of the Beeswax line beyond the unscented.

You could try Stirling Unscented with Beeswax, if you want an unscented Stirling that doesn't smell like barnyard. I can attest to the fact that Beeswax performs quite well. Pity they haven't made any more of the Beeswax line beyond the unscented.

I have it and like it a lot :straight:

I gave away my tub of RR P160, didn't care for the smell, if that's Marzipan, I'm also never buying/trying Cella. Wasn't thrilled with Mudder Focker either, smelled like mud to my nose, and the performance just didn't justify the smell.

Derby is another one, which I gather smells like Arko? - Not my favorite smelling soap, and the stick included with the Rex I won, has finally stopped smelling up the drawer I keep them in. In this case though, Derby produces one heck of a lather, and yields a pretty good shave. Now that the heavy smell has dissipated, it isn't too bad, and I have it in a travel holder I 3D-Printed, so it might be my travel soap.

I tend to really like and enjoy most Stirling soaps, although it took some time for me to get used to the citronella scent in Electric Sheep, which also thankfully faded over time, lots of time. Now, after 2 years or so, it has more of a lemon like scent than citronella, and I'll use it in the spring/summer....bonus, it should keep bugs at bay.

Well, until some time I would have said that I do not care about the scent but only about performance. Then, out of curiosity, I bought a Monsavon bol à raser in France. Lathered fine, lather is good - smell is, at least for me, quite disgusting. It rests somewhere after its one and only use. Thinking of it I will search and dump it.

So, yes, scent matters. It's not most important but it is important.

After reading about the exemplary performance of Tabac and also the polarizing scent, curiosity about performance got the best of me so I ordered some. When I opened the tub my first reaction was that it wasn't THAT bad, something I could live with if the performance was what I'd read about, and it was. This stuff lathers like crazy, is as slick as anything I've tried and leaves my face feeling wonderful. Yeah, I can live with the scent, or so I thought.
I really wanted to like the stuff but one afternoon at work I began to smell a strange odor, realizing it was me and that I hadn't noticed the smell before Tabac well, you can guess how this story will end. About eighteen hours after shaving the aroma that my nose was picking up was that of an ashtray, and I'm not a smoker. I could've lived with the grandma's handbag scent, that calms down but this...
Goodbye Tabac...
Tabac is a polarizing soap due to it's scent but I wanted to try it. I bought the shave stick so if I hated it I wouldn't feel bad about tossing it. My wife likes the scent and I like the performance so it stays in my rotation. I usually follow up a Tabac shave with a healthy splash of Pinaud Clubman though lol.

More of a performance guy over scent, hence my daily driver being Arko. If I hate a smell I just deal with it, and really that’s only been Stirling British Leather so far.

If it seems ok off the puck then it gets a quick test lather from a tiny, almost undetectable, scrape/scoop.
If it's still just ok, it goes while it still retains its value.
If it's terrible off the puck, it goes right away.

I've actually posted soaps for sale, on the same day it was delivered.

No problem. You have to try things and sometimes they don't work out. I save it for a PIF.
You nailed it. I'm a Proraso Red fan but I was really curious to try TOBS Sandalwood. I purchased in gel format both the cream and aftershave. I enjoyed the lather but it has an overpowering scent that my wife absolutely can't stand so that can't stand. Just this week I tried Captain's Choice sandalwood and that one is a definite winner!

Top Bottom