What's new

How Disappointing To You Is A Soap You're Not Happy With The Scent of?

I sometimes buy shave soaps blind as far as the scent because it's not a cologne or A/S so as long as it doesn't turn out absolutely nauseating, I can live with it. Having said that, I sometimes get rid of a soap that's not totally used up if I'm not happy with the scent. If it's a cologne or a/s I ALWAYS get a sample first - learned my lesson with THAT a long time ago.

How do you guys react to a soap or cream that you bought unsampled and you're not crazy about the scent? Do you have more or less patience with it than me?

It has to be insanely bad for me to get rid of it. For instance, I am not fond of A&E's Asian Plum (I'm probably the only person). I have debated on selling it since I've only used it twice, but just can't seem to pull the trigger. I keep thinking it may start to win me over, but alas, it hasn't yet. I'm also like that with Southern Witchcraft's Autumn Ash. Again, I've barely used it, although that scent isn't as repugnant to me as Asian Plum. Perhaps, it's the quality shave I seem to get with them that keeps me from just getting rid of them.

I love dr Harris’s soaps. They lather amazing and provide me with my best shaves.
That being said I bought the almond one years ago and was instantly let down by the scent. I can count on one hand the amount of times I’ve used it in the past almost 10 years just because I hate the scent.

Eben Stone

Staff member
I have a few soaps that have both awesome performance and scent. I like experimenting and trying new soaps, but I can't see any point in keeping anything that is sub par in either performance or scent. I'll give a new soap a few tries, if I don't like the scent I'll give it away or sell it.

I do not mind trying like OP said it goes away so no biggy
also I think it might give me a idea if the company has cologne or afterhave that might be with me a while

I like if you can get samples like some companies wish more would do samples :) or make a all our stuff sample kit !

Got about 6 from stirling one was ben franklin and yeah I guess I know what his boots smelled like after a day of walking and he then tried to cover the smell :) well that is my take on it but bought it cause some folks liked it !

I sometimes buy shave soaps blind as far as the scent because it's not a cologne or A/S so as long as it doesn't turn out absolutely nauseating, I can live with it. Having said that, I sometimes get rid of a soap that's not totally used up if I'm not happy with the scent. If it's a cologne or a/s I ALWAYS get a sample first - learned my lesson with THAT a long time ago.

How do you guys react to a soap or cream that you bought unsampled and you're not crazy about the scent? Do you have more or less patience with it than me?
ZERO patience! I don't care how wonderful a soap performs, if I don't like the scent, it's gone immediately ;)

After reading about the exemplary performance of Tabac and also the polarizing scent, curiosity about performance got the best of me so I ordered some. When I opened the tub my first reaction was that it wasn't THAT bad, something I could live with if the performance was what I'd read about, and it was. This stuff lathers like crazy, is as slick as anything I've tried and leaves my face feeling wonderful. Yeah, I can live with the scent, or so I thought.
I really wanted to like the stuff but one afternoon at work I began to smell a strange odor, realizing it was me and that I hadn't noticed the smell before Tabac well, you can guess how this story will end. About eighteen hours after shaving the aroma that my nose was picking up was that of an ashtray, and I'm not a smoker. I could've lived with the grandma's handbag scent, that calms down but this...
Goodbye Tabac...

Last edited:
I love dr Harris’s soaps. They lather amazing and provide me with my best shaves.
That being said I bought the almond one years ago and was instantly let down by the scent. I can count on one hand the amount of times I’ve used it in the past almost 10 years just because I hate the scent.
I've been told that the DRH soap has a different almond scent to the cream. Is this why you disliked it? or is it still a medicinal 'off-marzipan' scent.

I'm in the same boat. I hate the taste/smell of marzipan so was not going to buy Cella even though it was commonly spoken about in glowing terms. Fortunately I got onto a PIF and boy was that a game changer. You get to sample some big brands and others you have never heard of. Like this, buy it, hate this, forget it. Cella is in the forget it bin, despite its great performance.

Top Bottom