What's new

How difficult is restoration?

Hi Nils,

You could definitely do it. Some things make it a bit easier, IMO, like having a table mounted vise to hold the handle while you drill it out. Also, forstner bits work well in conjunction with regular bits for your drilling. That's a nice handle you want to rework. You may want to try an acquire a "nice so nice" one to practice your technique with. I also use RTV silicone to set the knot. Not hard to do with a little care and attention as you go along. Some guys have posted some progress pics. I hope to do the same on future projects. Good luck.

It's pretty easy. To put thing in perspective, I am envious of the posters here who turn their own handles. This is far beyond anything I have the skills or equipment to do or have ever done.
It does take time and also a good eye for what would restore well, though. The brush you have chosen for your first restore should turn out beautifully. Take your time and be careful not to damage the brush.
Try it and post if you run into any problems. Good luck!

With regards to setting the knot, what have all the veteran restorers found to be the best adhesive? Will a simple 2-part epoxy work or is there something better? Obviously it needs to be waterproof, but other than that I don't know what the desirable characteristics are.

Also, how much does the loft height change the brush characteristics? I'm curious if it is better to buy a taller knot and set it deeper within the handle, or buy something closer to the desired end height? Which will result in more backbone?

Hopefully I'm not derailing the thread too much with these questions.

Knot replacement isn't actually that difficult - it's the waiting that is the hardest part:
1. waiting for the handle to come in, waiting til the knot is removed to measure the opening
2. waiting as you do your reasearch on which type / grade / supplier for the knot
3. waiting for it to arrive in the post, waiting as you can't find that syringe of 2 part epoxy you KNOW you had 4 years ago you bought for that other project
4. waiting as you sit there and second-guess if the handle and knot combo 'really works
5. waiting as the epoxy sets up so you can let go the knot
6. waiting as the epoxy cures the minimum amount of time
7. wait for that first lather to build
8. wait for the new brush to dry and bloom
9. waiting for it to de-funkify and stop smelling like a wet dog
10. and finally waiting to be able use it in your regular lineup.

If you can bear all the waiting, have a good sharp knife and a big flat headed screwdriver, you can reknot a brush, no sweat. Good luck

Last edited:
If you can find a set of metric forstner bits, you will be doing a restore-a-day. Just have the following on hand and you will be all set: Forstner bits (metric w/b ideal), a varible speed drill (I use a cordless handheld), Mother's Plastic Polish (Pep Boy's carries it), any good two-part epoxy and the the knot of your choice.

Add'l items that you may want to consider: some small washers or small fishing weights to add handle heft. a wine bottle cork to help rebuild a shelf / adjust knot height and some blue painters tape to mask the edges when drilling out the old knot

Honestly, the biggest challenge I found when redoing the handles I have is figuring what I want the loft to be on the restored brush. It is something I struggle with each time - trying to find the "perfect" height-to-width ratio; balancing aesthetics and functionality. I like the look of the longer loft, but I dislike a floppy brush.

Forstner bits are no problem, and we're metric anyway. I'll have to find a German/European equivalent for those American polishes, but that shouldn't be too difficult.

How difficult IS it? Well... It seems most of B&B make it look easy. ;) So I'm working on my first 2 now. Guess we'll see just how easy it really is, lol.

Top Bottom