What's new

how did you get into pens?

for a long time i struggled with hand writing. i was never good at it and people always said i should become a doctor. i finally decided to work on my writing, and did some reading. several articles mentioned fountain pens, i became intrigued. i did some more reading and got shocked by the prices on some pens. however, i visited my local staples, and found my first fountain pen; the franklin-covey freemont. the pen became my first love, for a pen. the rest is history haha. i love fountain pens but i still carry a good ball point; mostly due to the incompatibility of my works paper work.

I have been a pen slut my whole life. Now that I want to better my handwriting I trying to commit. Monogamous pen usage might not last but I like the feel of my current pen.

I credit this forum. Many years ago I was gifted a Montblanc Meisterstück ballpoint and rollerball. After visiting "The Nib" I was motivated to complete the set. I was amazed at the cost of Montblanc fountain pens but managed to find a used 146 on the bay. The rest is history. My handwriting is still terrible but I try to write with all my pens as much as I can and the whole experience has caused me to restart my daily journal. There's something calming and old school about the entire process that I love.

I always liked pens, even when that meant ballpoints to me. I would get refillable ones a little nicer than the average, and take care of them. Eventually I discovered rollerballs, which just glided across the paper and had richer looking ink. Until a few years ago, although I'd heard of fountain pens, I simply thought of them as "old fashioned pens", and they seemed so expensive, even the "cheap" ones. At some point, though, I started reading about their advantages and thought that this might be a good way to continue the progression. It turned out well, as far as the quality of writing instruments goes. It may have led to a bit more expenditure that I'd anticipated at first.

It was never about trying for better handwriting, just a better writing experience.

Inherited a half dozen of dad's old pens. Originally I was going to sell them but this place, along with a few other influences, got me thinking otherwise. I sent 3 off for restoration and am now using 5 of the 6 along with a Metropolitan I picked up.

I joined the 2015 annual shave purchase sabbatical, and stumbled onto the Nib while looking for other things to spend money on. Clearly, the sabbatical hasn't saved me any money over the last eight months with everything going toward pens, inks, and paper!

It was this sub forum for me, coupled with the fact that I was going back to school at the time. It was a great choice - each day is made a tiny bit better when using a nice pen and an ink that isn't the standard black.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I went over to visit someone that lives close to my work during my lunch break. He has all his soaps and creams and blades laid out on his countertop for me to see, sniff and generally play with. He even made me a coffee. It was great! Then I went back to work and he showed up later with two cheapie FPs for me to take home and play with.

That was the baited hook. I bit hard, was fully caught, and now carry a Stewie badge in The Nib. :syn:

Oh wait, that wasn't me.... but it is a true story! :tongue_sm

I'm a financial advisor. ..early in my career a mentor told me to use a pen that looks like I "write big business. "

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I purchased a nice Parker 40 years ago and somehow it found it's way to the back of a drawer. Then I decided I had too much money so I found this forum. While my wallet is exceedingly lighter, I am delighted every day that I joined the Nib ranks.

Primary (grade) school, 1971. Fountain pens were mandatory in 3rd year. My first pen was a lever-filler Platignum. Though, of course, i used a lot of ballpens, roller-balls, gel pens, etc, i have always used fountain pens intermitently till last August/September. Haven't looked back since.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
When I was in grade school , I used a dip pen.

Then I got a fountain pen and bought ordinary blue and peacock blue ink. It was Skripp ink, and it cost only 19 cents . Then ball point pens came in, and that was the end of the fountain pen.

Not long ago some one named Teppanyaki got me interested in the fountain pen. So I bought some, for about 30 dollars, and borrowed some from my sister, a guy named Early , and another guy named Lloyd.

I spent that money, and then I liked the ball writer also.

This is my little story.

This reeks of a custom title.

Somehow the term slut came up at lunch the other day. I pointed out my pen sluttiness and it was quickly pointed out that I was in fact a Pen John. I freely give myself to any fancy pen that I can, but I do in fact pay for the pens. So, I have to amend my statement. I am a pen John. I will quickly drop money for the pleasure of some ink depositing hotness.

I'm so ashamed.

I bought my first fountain pen as a kid (in high school) from a jewelry store closing out sale.
I still have it. It's a Cross.

Used it in HS then University. Kinda forgot about pens for a while then my dad gave me a Montblanc rollerball for my birthday.
I used that for a long time then again, kind of forgot about pens.

The nib ramped up my interest again.

That's the long story. The short version is one word: Brianw

I had "always" like ball point pens i.e. Parker Jotter, Cross, BICs, Pilot etc and the writing that resulted in notes, letters and memos and I felt I had very good handwriting. This was a result of my school Palmer Method training, many, many years ago.

Then a combination of deteriorating handwriting (I couldn't read my own notes!) over the years resulting from year & years of computer usage that had me frustrated. Combined with a BB Sabbatical for an entire year & wandering over to The Nib for a "harmless" look / see and the rest is history :thumbup:

Gene

Top Bottom