What's new

How did you end up straight shavin?

Got tired of rebuying electric shavers as they broke or stopped working. Never paid much attention to get a close shave, always left some small stubble on my neck because I didn't really care, that and I got alot of ingrown hairs.
If I had something to just swipe the whiskers to get a socially acceptable shave and just maintain it with a strop sounded very tempting.
I didn't know that it would make me a stoneoholic and an edge snob. I've been SR shaving for little more than a year, been a rough journey with a few cuts (mostly fingers when honing) but once you get the handling down to muscle memory that dissapeared too. Now, best shaves I've ever had.

12 years ago I stopped shaving due to severe irritation and ingrown hairs cause by disposable razor.s I switched to electric shavers but promptly abandoned shaving totally, it was not fun and my skin suffered.

I have light, dense, thin but curly hair with a sensitive skin. I kept my beard short with clippers during this time and always had a scruffy look. Soon afterwards I started collecting knifes and swords and ended up honing knifes part time. The honing and appreciation for quality blade led me to reading about straight razors and why they are the best shaving method available.

The rest is history as they say and I am well down the hole with soft, healthy and smooth shin everyday. I will keep wetshaving until I am unable to do so safely. It’s been a wonderful journey and one I am happy to be on.

This forum and its members enabled me to enjoy my skin and shaving.

Several years ago my wife remarked in Costco how expensive the Mach10's or whatever were getting. That comment stuck in my brain and I started to research straights.
I had the stones already that I needed (carpenter/woodworker) and finally bought a dovo 5/8 off amazon I think.
Since then its been quite the journey, but at this point I dont think its been cheaper (buying nice straights and all of the nice accompanying items).
However, don't tell the wife that.

I will preface my response by saying I haven't even tried my first shave with a straight yet, but I got my first straight razor in the mail yesterday - I plan on shaving with it for the first time over the weekend when I have more time to dedicate to it.

I first considered a straight razor around 6 years ago. At the time I was reading about mindfulness, and wanted to incorporate practices into my life that fostered mindfulness. Unfortunately, I knew that just over a year later I'd be deploying on a ship, and the thought of SR shaving on a rocking ship was horrifying. So instead of picking up a straight that I'd have to abandon I started with a DE razor. The DE shave is great for mindfulness, but I still wanted to transition to SR shaving at some point. In the ensuing years I continued to casually shop around for the right razor, but two maritime deployments and life with children got in the way.

Fast forward to two weeks ago, my cigar club had a straight razor among the items up for raffle. Luckily I didn't win it - it was an unbranded blade of Chinese origin. But that very night I saw that WCS had a sale for 40% off of WCS branded products, and on impulse bought their straight razor and a strop. Since that night I'd say I've spent 3-6 hrs a day reading about razors, technique and products. I'm ready to dive in...

It all started out of curiosity and a 5 dollar clauss razor. Then RAD set in and now I have quite a few. I love the weekends because it’s when I have the time to devote to a straight shave. I like the quiet time where it’s just me using one of my blades alone in the bathroom.

Larry

For me, I was going thru some of my dads things and I found a pair of razors and being a gun and knife guy I liked what I saw haha. I asked him about them and they were his mothers fathers straights so my great grandfather (and no one has used them since him). And these are the razors and thus my addiction started and I can’t believe It took me this long to realize how sweet it is. I went from dreading shaving to wishing I could use more than one razor a day.
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom