What's new

How did you do your shaving brush research?

I had a Boar Brush from a Shaving mug and Brush kit I got from Sears one Christmas in HS. I got a fake hair one from the Body Shop and my last one was a Badger from Twezzerman off Amazon. Looking at the Antique stores for a used Simpson ext that I can score for cheap. If not I will bit the bullett for this summer. :thumbup:

I read the reports here, did my research, and - perhaps more importantly - waited.

Sometimes there are "fads" here at B&B, on the latest new brush or whatever, soon forgotten. Others are regarded as classics.

Another thing I did: ask. Make sure to know whether you are a soap or a cream guy, a bowl or a face latherer, whether you like a bit of "exfoliation" or want something super-soft, and you'll get excellent advice. Playing around with cheap brushes (for instance, the Tweezerman and Shea Moisture) will help you.

That's how I found my Rooney and I'm very happy with it. I would not recommend it for everyone, but there is no brush that will satisfy everyone. That's the beauty of SBAD :thumbup1:

Very carefully!:001_smile

I had done some internet research and found most everyone agreed that getting a good badger brush was the way to go. I thought I wanted a big brush, but I wasn't sure why. I was impressed by the Rooney selection of various grades of silvertip badger, but there were just so many to choose from. I started lurking around B&B in February, and found a post where a guy had just switched to a Rooney 3/1. I had no idea what knot sizes and loft really affected your shaving, so I bought a Rooney 1/1, because I thought it looked cooler. I face-lathered for my first dozen shaves, and the 1/1 proved to be the perfect brush for the task.

Simply put, I ordered one that looked cool, and was a small, silvertip brush in my price range, and then I lucked out.

I have since purchased an Omega Pro boar brush and the Rooney 3/1. I gave the Omega to my wife for leg shaving, and the 3/1 is my bowl/scuttle lathering tool. I couldn't be happier with my brushes, but I'll probably order the 2/1 so I have the collection of small Rooneys, then I'll move on to Simpson.

First brush was an unexpected item from the Muhle webshop.

Did all the research (a lot on B&B!) and decided for a Muhle as my first DE razor.

Initially decided to keep using the old L'Oreal gel.
Then, in the shop I found a gift box with a Proraso starter pack.
Had to buy it.

Then found out about the Muhle custom brushes, and fell for a Olivewood (I had just returned from a trip to Umbria) handle with a silvertip knot.

So, I had the razor, the (pre shave) cream and the brush in one buy.

Quite unexpected, but I still do love these items.
So, I guess it was a lucky first pick :)

Wim

The first one I remember was an Ever Ready 750 purchased in 1963, followed by a couple more Evereadys, a 40N and 40R over the years. No special research, except that I knew I wanted 100% Badger (not Badger "Cased") Since finding B&B I've added a Muhle Travel and a Simspson Col 2XL and soon (I hope) a B&B Butterscotch.

I started again wet shaving with a Vergulde Hand barbers boar brush I still had lying around (for the Dutch: that one is made by VERO). I got me a Semogue 2009 LE and some Jaguar boar brushes, then I discovered horse and switched to horse. I have some Turkish horse brushes now: medium and large. They work like a charm. Some from India in order, will let you know how they are. Sofar no Spanish ones.

Either I have done too much research, or exactly the right amount. I enjoy every brush that I own, and they are all very different beasts. The only brush I have let go was a Tweezerman, and even it was serviceable - it wasn't a shedder, and it made good lather, but it wasn't going to get much use once I had the Penworks STR1-22 and Omega 10049.

Now that I face-lather it's the Penworks that doesn't get much use, mostly in favor my shortest-lofted brushes: a Rooney 3/1 and an Omega 81052.

Speaking of short lofts... there was a CH-1 on my doorstep this afternoon (thanks Phil!). But who knows? Maybe this will be the first brush that I don't like.

Bought my first brush ( VDH) because I could get it locally. Still researching what type of badger brush I want. May end up with 2.. one cheapo off Ebay and another Thater to see if there is really a big difference in the knots.

JKH, alot of brushes have past by these parts. But I before I bought an Emillion from Vintage Blades, I recall many, many back and forth posts with YoMuppet who was incredibly informative and helpful. Where is YO these days anyway?

Nice on Jeremy..

Good question Dar....

Best,

Julian

Top Bottom