What's new

How did you discover DE shaving?

I became tired when once in a month my canned cream, which I was using along with mach3 was completely out when I least expected it. So I decided to buy some cream in a tube and a shaving brush and have them as a backup, in case the can is once again empty and I don't have another one. I don't know why I didn't just buy another can, I think my subconscious was up to something :). On the local market I bought the cream fairly easy, it was "arko moist", but I couldn't get a decent brush. Enlightenment came after I googled "shaving brush". I'm 30 years old now, and It's more than a year that I'm enjoying everyday DE shave with shaving soap and brush.

I was deployed to Afghanistan and one morning in the head/latrine/Bathroom/den, there was an Army Captain finishing up his shave using the Alum block. Noticed he had quite the set up. Asked a few questions. Left it alone for about 4 months until I returned and was talking with my wife when she encouraged me to switch. So when I deployed in December I took the plunge and found out how shaving can be fun and not a drag. Won't go into how much I have spent but I will be set for quite some time.

I just like being different, and well... I read some blogs. I was stumbling along on a website when I came across a book titled "Make Her Chase You" written from a character from the book 'The Game'. I downloaded it and it made many references to his blog 'Betterthanyourboyfriend.com'. It was an interesting site with outlandish stuff like pimping out a bus, giving away all his personal belongings to live in an RV and spend a lot of time traveling. Since he became a 'nomad' he posted what he keeps with him in a 20L backpack and it was then in his 2009 post that he posted his Merkur so it had me curious. He also got me into minimalist running and a photography blog resulted in me getting a Mac.

Every time I walk into Walgreens, Costco, or Walmart, I end up in the razor isle. My wife says I spend at least 15 minutes there just staring at the all the razor refills for my Gillette Fuzion, but each time I walk away empty handed. I just couldn't stomach the prices for the multi blade refills. $25 or more for only 5 blades. No way.

At home I use a Braun Electric which is nice but boring. Then one day I saw that Walmart still sells DE refill blades and I remembered back when my father used a heavy safety razor. I still remember holding this hunk of metal in my hand and thought it was cool. So I looked around walmart to see if they sold a DE razor. I didn't even know what they were called. I couldn't find one. I got home and I googled old school razors and discovered the Merkur and Edwin Jagger safety razors. I ordered a Merkur 34C with Feather blades and never loooked back.

Top Bottom