What's new

How did you come here?

These posts come up from time to time. I like reading everyone's stories. For me it was a couple of things, I was interested in learning about traditional shaving especially straight razor shaving and wanting to see what it is I kept reading about being "manly". I stumbled upon this site in my searches and found out a lot about traditional shaving. And a bit about being "manly". The latter of which is a bit out of my means and to be honest if not for the pif's and giving people here shaving would have been a long time in coming.

I first visited the site and did a lot of reading. I eventually joined and interacted a little bit, my searching on forums and the internet is terrible at best. I stayed because of the great community that has built up here. I have had some stints away due to personal issues but every time I get back the people here are always gracious. People tend to come here for some information but stay for the great community.

I hated shaving and was doing it as little as I could get away with (three times a week for most of my adult life). An internet search on how to reduce irritation on my neck led me here. I found a lot of the advice very useful (taking proper care of my skin, doing a little beard prep, using much less pressure and letting the razor do the work, etc.). My shaves improved dramatically even though I was still using carts/disposables and canned goo...but it was inevitable that reading posts on this site would lead me to try DE shaving and proper soaps.

I now look forward to shaving, and do it seven days a week with no irritation.

--Lee

I was looking for a better shaving cream. I had been using Edge and Gillette shave gels but knew that there had to be something better out there.

I bought Cremo Cream at Wal-Mart (I hate that place) but decided that I didn't really like it. Later that week Brett McKay on "The Art of Manliness" did an interview with Mantic59 on his podcast. My interest was piqued! Some google-fu and BOOM! here I am creeping on B&B, learning about the world of traditional shaving.

I was searching for information on a Gillette 109 i found. And now I am stuck looking for a super adjustable with my birth year....do i need it? No but w/e lol.

I got some nice tips on how to polish the 109 and it looks so good.

I googled for a Gillette toggle after my friend showed me his and ended up here. now about a month later i have become addicted to de razors (i usually shaved with a straight razor and only used a de when in a hurry) . Now i have 14 Gillette razors and some odd se razors. I also started shaving 7 days / week instead of three just so i get time to try all the new razors. where will it end ? ;)

I read about traditional shaving from art of manliness which directly referenced B&B. Also googling reviews for various products often lead me back here. And why I found that article was from reading other stuff at art of manliness. I had always been trying different shaving products I found in local stores because I wanted a better shaving experience. I didn't realize people still used the old school razors and brushes, it was great to save money on blades instead of cartridges. And it looks cool on my sink and is a conversation piece when women visit since I have a lot of nice smelling stuff and more grooming products than most other guys.

And then once I came here, I found out about all kinds of great stuff I didn't know about before but now need to try.

I came across this site while researching my late father-en-law's old Gillette Tech Ball. I have learned much from the many great members of this forum!!

For me I actually googled Dollar shave club vs Harry's and read an article talking about how switching to traditional wet shaving was better than both. So then I started googling what stuff to get (which I completely didn't listen too because I just walked into Walgreens and bought a MTO and vanderhagen bowl,soap and brush) then once I started with all that stuff I googled this and that and the top hits were always here so finally I signed up and Bam I was hooked. Then life got busy, I was set with a good shave, got busy with my other hobbies ( cars, computers, oh and what ever my kids are into at the time) and stopped coming. Then the other day I looked at my MTO and said I miss using a TTO razor so I loaded it up instead of the 3 piece I have been using for almost a year and said hey I want a vintage Gillette like I had been saying I wanted. I got on eBay and won a 59 Fatboy and the excitement brought me back because none of my in person friends or family would have cared that I got a good condition fat boy for less than $20. Then the bug bit me and I have been buying several more vintage Gillettes and participating in here some more.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

How did I find B&B? I was trying to find out if my Gillette Super was worth any money. I kept seeing it on the bay for a crazy range of prices. I found this place called Badger & Blade that had lengthy conversations about this very razor (it was bought new when I was a kid and I still use it). I kept reading more, finding out more information and was finally hooked. I never sold my Super (nor will I), and I have spent way to much on shaving gear since then, but I've never enjoyed shaving as much as I do now.

Hmm. Found B and B when researching boar brushes. But it was a long time before I actually joined. Busy with working, and all that. And then I retired. Now, everyday is a Saturday. And I do not play golf. So, here I am. LOL.

I too wish I had found this place years ago. I got tired of spending $$ on cartridges. Though the cartridges were cheaper. :a25:

The razor i had been using for many years broke. searched all local stores for a new one with no results. while looking on line for new razor I found B&B and after shaving with 1 razor, blade, soap and brush. the collecting began.

After I had my first hot towel shave and was researching straight razors. Then I saw an article about how a DE razor can give a similar shave with less maintenance and for less initial cost. After googling DE razors I ended up here

Ad Astra

The Instigator
There is a massive weight of knowledge here; much like a black hole, one is inexplicably drawn to its center ...

Arriving at B&B is exactly like the ending scene of "2001: A Space Odyssey." Colors, shapes; err rather, colognes, soaps, razors flash by ... in the end you are brought to confront yourself in a shaving mirror – as an old dude needing a shave to a BBS ...

AA

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I actually came here by passing through the "Nib" sub-forum. I was directed there from a Fountain Pen forum to answer some questions and only much later started reading in the the shaving areas.

Many people sought wetshaving as an alternative to reduce the cost of typical can shaving, but it is definitely the opposite. After lurking, its became an AD.

There was an article I found online, I believe through Art of Manliness, where a guy went and bought about a half dozen drug store aftershaves and reviewed them. It was a very good article and renewed my interest in those products. I believe it linked to B&B. The rest is history!

Top Bottom