What's new

How did you come here?

I was searching the internet for where to pick up a bespoke handle for my Fusion(!) - in order to somehow accessorize my beloved wet shaving ritual. I honestly did not know that DE was such a 'thing'.

Got tired of substandard shave from an electric razor; hated shaving in general.

Read the oft quoted Art of Manliness article and got bit hard. Never looked back.

Back in the early days of the interwebs, There was an MSN shaving forum- no pics but some good info overall. I had come to the end of my rope w/ ingrowns, razor rash, neck irritation, and overall displeasure w/ shaving. That site was going down after 2 years but some of the members mentioned B&B.

I started visiting both sites through the end of 2005 and signed up in March of 2006. Been here ever since and my shaves are absolutely great now. most people think I'm about 20 years younger than my actual age!

marty

Basenotes was the first forum I found online. Someone mentioned B&B in a thread about skincare. After browsing for a few minutes, I joined. Now this is my favourite online destination.

Hi,

I had to live in two places 2011-13. The farm here in NC and an apartment in TX. I wanted to leave my stuff in NC, and have stuff in TX, and just fly only myself back and forth.

What I had at home at the time: Old Type, Red Tip SuperSpeed, Early Tech. I had an extra mug of soap and an extra brush, so that part was easy. For an apt razor, I dug into a drawer and pulled out a Fusion Gillette had thoughtfully put into my mailbox some years earlier.

Well, for an always-used-a-DE-or-Straight guy, the Fusion wasn't all the commercials said it was. So, off to eBay! This can be easily fixed. I will just buy another set of what I have at home! Except, maybe I will go back to a New Long Comb instead of a Red Tip. I had one once, but had given it away.

So, I find a seller with nice replated ones. But....there is something different with this New. Hmmm. Says Made in England on it. Hmmmm. Google search time. Found this place and found out just what was different. Raised Flat Bottom.

Now, I didn't join up until two years later. I didn't even lurk much before I joined up. It wasn't until I found a thread on Slants that I joined. Those were something I had never heard of before, and that was that.

Stan

I like this story, Stan. Much more organic and natural than my story of 40 years with carts, and then an abrupt shift based on a TV ad...

Didn't come here much in the first six months but knew of the forum. My wife got me a brush for Christmas, so I started researching how to lather using a brush and soap then got hooked on reading the forum. I was a lurker for awhile and finally signed up couple months ago.

I was looking for a travel case using an altoid tin and the Google led me here. Found far more things than I was actually looking for so decided to join up.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I had already been recently messing around with vintage Gillettes and Merkur as a hobby (DE shaving since 1970) and had gotten a Schick adjustable I didn't like and sold it on eBay. The auction went pretty high and I was searching around for a reason why and stumbled upon B&B. That was 2009 and when I found out about new soaps to try. Had no idea on the variety of soaps and brushes beforehand.

Those shaving club/subscription ads kept appearing on my FB feeds and in the comments of them all were people raving about DE shaving saying how cheap it is and provides the best shaves. Then followed the obligatory google search of this new fangled DE shaving thing and alas here I am.

Well I haven only been here since last January. I was getting really tired of shaving with carts and I was avoiding shaving for as long as possible due to irritation etc etc. I was just thinking that there had to be a better way. My dad suggested electric razors so I tried it but something just seemed off.
I then did some internet research thinking that there had to be a different way and I found B&B. I read a thread about the history of the Schick Krona and that sold me. I signed up and bought myself a Krona off the bay it turns out my grandfather used a Krona many years ago. Unfortunately it was lost when he passed.
This forum was a great tool for me while I learned the art of DE shaving and since I have found "The Veg", converted a friend to DE shaving and found out Old Spice was not owned by P&G many years ago (I was born in the 90's cut me some slack :) )

All in all joining B&B has been a great experience.

I was searching for information on hats, found the Art of Manliness site.
There I read the "shave like your grandpa" article, and was lead here.

I joined a head shaving forum and learned quite a bit there, but every time someone brought up DE shaving, B&B was referenced. I stopped in for a look and got hooked. I don't check in there very much anymore.

When I moved from NJ to FL I had a nice supply of soaps and creams. My oldest son still lived in NYC so he would gift me a soap and cream each Christmas. One of the creams he gave me, T&H Ultimate Comfort, was running low and in 2010 I wanted to replace it. I did an Internet search and came across B&B. I was amazed that a forum like B&B existed and I began reading all of the subforums. A day later I joined. My supply of two DE razors multiplied and soon included SE and injector razors. Similarly, my brushes, soaps, and creams multiplied.

After visiting my barber for a haircut I decided that there must be a better way to shave than using once (and throwing out) cheap disposable razors or paying a fortune for cartridges which only clog and are a nightmare to shave with.

After weighing up the pros and cons of straight edge vs Shavette vs DE (thanks to Tips in B&B forums) I decided that for me (and my requirements) DE was the way to go. Bought a "beginner" DE (thanks again to other's posts on B&B) Merkur 33C from my barber with free Astra SP's. Some proraso croap.. And had the smoothest, most effortless shave ever.

Then spent the next couple of weeks pouring over the B&B forums so thought I'd better join. I've learnt a lot from the wisdom, knowledge and experience of others on the forum and spent a lot more in the last 12 months than I've ever spent on shaving In my life.

Ordering, cold, a Merkur long handle from Amazon...disappointed with the results and immediately ordering a Merkur slant figuring this would rectify the raw hamburger effects. In the meantime I did some research (hello, Google) and discovered the raw hamburger effects were due to the bottom plate on the long handle was upside down.
I was informed of this fact thanks to visiting Badger and Blade. Worked out so much better than the next site on the google search, dumbsob's.com!

Top Bottom