What's new

How Did the Three Pass Shave Originate? One or Two Passes Were Standard Historically.

I am only asking a follow up question to your statement on the 3 pass shave being the (correct) way to shave. Now if you mean for the hobby part of it I understand completely.
No, you want to have a debate. It's not college and I've already lost interest. You get it or you don't. No matter to me.

Who decided what the (proper) way to shave is for everyone?
I believe I am in agreement with CCS, but will also certainly cede your point, that being, BBS and frequently DFS is not for everyone.

There are things that some may do as a matter of self-discipline, personal pride and/or respect for their professional office that others may not do. In reference to the traditional (and this is a "traditional" site, in that we are using vintage-style tools, rather than electric or depilatory chemicals) interpretation, "proper" is that which is neat, clean-cut, and professional in appearance. Some may achieve this in two passes, most will not.

I have generally done a 3 pass since high school, using a TracII, then onward with my journey into vintage & modern razors. 2 pass only when rushed. I will defer shaving rather than do one.

I believe I am in agreement with CCS, but will also certainly cede your point, that being, BBS and frequently DFS is not for everyone.

There are things that some may do as a matter of self-discipline, personal pride and/or respect for their professional office that others may not do. In reference to the traditional (and this is a "traditional" site, in that we are using vintage-style tools, rather than electric or depilatory chemicals) interpretation, "proper" is that which is neat, clean-cut, and professional in appearance. Some may achieve this in two passes, most will not.

I have generally done a 3 pass since high school, using a TracII, then onward with my journey into vintage & modern razors. 2 pass only when rushed. I will defer shaving rather than do one.
Agreed, a true bbs will need more than 2 passes

In other words, a proper shave... ;0
Agreed, to reach the results you want more than 2 would be required, all I meant was that when I started shaving there were only de, straights and electrics. I was taught one pass then feel around for strays, my father did it with a de and my grandfather did it the same way with a straight so that’s my story

I also have no way of knowing the origin.
But I believe that youtuber prefers to maintain a certain length of video time for video bonuses, so many new wet shavers think that Three Passes are necessary.

The shaving process in the second half of the Billy Hukin documentary.
We can see how simple and pure his shave is.
Grinding, Setting In and Whetting of Open Razors and Using a Razor - Billy Hukin (1966 & 1993)

While I enjoy the hobby, I do feel that many of the techniques and procedures being preached today are overkill.
Once again the internet says 3 passes so it must be gospel also the Billy Hukin video is fantastic, one pass and some touch up, bar soap and all, I tried to straight shave that fast and can’t beat his time

I remember seeing my father shave, one WTG followed by an ATG pass.

This ATG pass was a mix of atg/touch ups and some strokes at the same spot. Not that Gillette tv ad one long pass kind of thing.

my kids are 13 and 18 maybe once they are both gone time will be more on my side ? But as of now would not trade that time with them for anything
kinda one of those know my limits of my hobbies and time it takes
I think then I could see maybe trying it :) have thought about a good Feather straight I can just pop a blade into just to see and get the hang of it some ? Post on that was mixed to do it and not do that :) hahahaah but like all things here so personal
I think you will enjoy the feather artist club ss or one of the other ones, I started straight shaving in the mid 1980’s however a young daughter and two jobs put a damper on it fast forward to 2020 I love the feather artist club ss, good luck and enjoy

I think you will enjoy the feather artist club ss or one of the other ones, I started straight shaving in the mid 1980’s however a young daughter and two jobs put a damper on it fast forward to 2020 I love the feather artist club ss, good luck and enjoy
Yeah doing a bit more research no hurry but want to get some info ahead :)
also looking at the Kai Kasho Captain

read quite a bit on the various feathers also

Think of it in the British tradition; it's the proper way to shave. Most people don't do many things properly and the internet is the place to talk about it! ;)
Three passes is not a British tradition "proper" way to shave, not sure where you got that from. @VBH37118 is correct that it is just the proper way for anyone who prefers and chooses it. All the historic shaving instructions that I recently posted, including some British instructions, described a one or two pass shave (the second being optional). Recall some B&Ber posts regarding visits to the classic British shaving houses where the shaving ritual only included a single pass with touch up.

As an example I've pasted the Taylor of Old Bond Street current "How to Shave" from their web site. It only includes a one pass shave with touch up. It does describe a highly ritualized process with, I suspect, the goal of encouraging purchase of a wide range of their shaving tools and products.

Bottom line there is no "proper" way to shave other than what works best for each of us.

How to shave from Taylor of Old Bond Street:
How to ... Shave! - https://www.tayloroldbondst.co.uk/blogs/homepage-blog-entries/1-education-how-to-shave

"With over 150 years of heritage at Taylor of Old Bond Street, the question most asked by our customers remains ‘how to shave’. Whilst everyone will have their own specific routine, we would like to share the Taylor approach which will deliver a close shave with minimum irritation.

To start, wash your face with warm water and a clean flannel or face towel. To help protect the skin whilst softening and stimulating the hair, apply pre shave oil or gel. Using an oil or gel is ideal for men with sensitive skin to protect the skin from razor burn. With the pre-shave oil or gel applied, lather up the shaving cream into a rich, creamy consistency ideally using a badger shaving brush dipped in warm water or use our shaving soap, and apply a light covering to the face using circular motions. Badger shaving brushes are ideal for lathering as the hairs generate a rich consistency whilst opening the pores and stimulating the skin, to give you a close shave.

Take your razor and rinse it in warm water to help deliver a smooth motion. Keeping the skin taut, apply the blade and move it down the cheek and up the neck. For moustache areas, move the blade downwards and across away from the centre. For the chin area, tighten the skin by biting gently on the bottom lip and use small strokes in an downward movement.

Rinse your face with a wet warm flannel and with your hand feel around the face, lightly going over any missed areas. Finally, apply a cold flannel to your face to close the pores. With your shave complete, finish with a moisturiser or aftershave depending on your choice. Some of our customers also like to use an alum block which has been used for many decades as a natural astringent whilst also soothing any irritation."

User error is usually the reason for my second pass. And my other second passes. This week involves two intentional passes, so passes three and four and more will be user error.

That’s most of my razors, but my hands bring negative consequences to that ability. Very surprised the RazoRock “German” 37 is capable of one pass + touch ups BBS shaves as it’s nothing like a Yaqi Agamemnon.
9AD02A9C-03DE-4919-A51B-21001DCD6886.jpeg

Hi,

Map your face, meaning know which way the hairs grow. Then one pass against the grain. Done. ;)

And a Pass is defined, here on B&B, as relathering and starting over. Not relathering and just pulling in another direction with what slick is left over from the original lather is known as a Touch Up. It was that way back when I joined up in 2011 and hasn't changed....

Stan

I think, if our grandfathers and great grandfathers and so forth had had internet with easy access to groups like this, more of them would have spent an hour in the bathroom shaving each day with as many passes as they could.

Hi,

Map your face, meaning know which way the hairs grow. Then one pass against the grain. Done. ;)

And a Pass is defined, here on B&B, as relathering and starting over. Not relathering and just pulling in another direction with what slick is left over from the original lather is known as a Touch Up. It was that way back when I joined up in 2011 and hasn't changed....

Stan
My hair grows in so many random directions, it's faster and easier to just do 3 - 4 passes.

I think, if our grandfathers and great grandfathers and so forth had had internet with easy access to groups like this, more of them would have spent an hour in the bathroom shaving each day with as many passes as they could.
My grandfather and great grandfather both shaved with straights, one bathroom lots of kids I doubt they had the time for any hobby let alone shaving. JMO

Agreed. With all our modern conveniences we have a fair amount of extra free time they just didn't have. I doubt gramps would spend any extra time in front of a mirror with the long day of hard work ahead of him. A pipe and a wee dram at the end of the day would have been his "hobby".

The internet says so., so people believe it and must do it. Before shave forums it was unheard of.

I completely agree with that.
And a Pass is defined, here on B&B, as relathering and starting over.

My definition as well.

Not relathering and just pulling in another direction with what slick is left over from the original lather is known as a Touch Up.

Also my definition.

One pass, touch-up and done. While razors and blades might be part of the "hobby" aspect. Spending time in front of a mirror shaving is definitely not a hobby of mine.

Another aspect is the term "wet shaving". What an oxymoron! It used to simply be referred to as "shaving". Except with electric razors, all shaving was wet shaving.

As such, I shave...

Top Bottom