What's new

How Did the Three Pass Shave Originate? One or Two Passes Were Standard Historically.

Very interesting indeed. I only heard of the three pass shave on the internet. I just assumed it would logically provide the closest shave with the least amount of irritation. I have done 3 in the past but generally only do 2 passes: with and against. When I started shaving, before the internet was invented, I only did one. You appear to have a clean shave, but it doesn't feel that close. As long as you appeared to have shaved the military was satisfied. I remember having to dry shave in the field. It was pretty terrible. Luckily, my beard wasn't as thick then as it is now.
It’s funny. Complete opposite for me. I had never heard about doing less than three passes before the internet. All my life before then it simply hadn’t occurred to me that I could omit shaving against-the-grain.

I suppose people have always shaved differently - some with three passes and some with less. The internet has just exposed us to viewpoints that differ from whatever we were taught to do, but all these different methods always existed.

I've been doing two passes before I even knew what a "pass" was since I was teenager in the mid-90's with a Trac II. My thick beard growth in certain areas, along with fair skin and dark hair, made me realize a second XTG or ATG was needed without even really thinking about. I think before "the internet" it was just something some guys did, and some guys didn't if it wasn't needed. Though I can recall the directions on some canned shaving creams stating "for a closer shave re-lather and shave again," so it's definitely not a new phenomenon.

I have three different growth directions on the front of my chin and two directions of growth beneath my chin towards my throat. So if I want to shave ATG (and I do) I'm doing more than two passes there.
Go for it

Even with multiple grown directions, you don't "need" 3-4 passes. You shave the direction of growth, stop, adjust for next direction and repeat.

You are free to do 12 passes, it doesn't affect me.

I guess I don't follow. If I shave right to left under my chin/on my throat, then shave south to north over the same area, I'm calling that two passes. Maybe we're defining things differently?
Somewhat

I consider 1 stroke or the removal of the shave cream, in any given area, as 1 pass. So if your neck has multi directions and you move your razor N to S in one area and L to R in the next area, until all the neck is done once, it is 1 pass.

What you described above is 2 passes. All I am saying is, I feel 2 passes should be enough for anyone.

If facial grows in crazy directional patterns, it can still be done WTG on the first pass. It just takes some stopping, readjusting, going in a different direction (which may appear to be ATG on others faces). Follow that will an opposite stroke on all areas, ATG and it would be 2 passes.

Don't believe the hype.

1-2 passes is all that is ever needed. Any more is by choice to enjoy the shaving experience or user error on the first 2 passes
Wrong. If one assumes one's beard grows in only two directions, maybe, but I'd guess the lion's share of men have beard bristles growing every which way and if one desires a true BBS shave, it's going to take 3+ passes (which would include touch ups). My beard has at least five directions of growth. Stopping and adjusting to each of these directions might be your way but you do you.

Somewhat

I consider 1 stroke or the removal of the shave cream, in any given area, as 1 pass. So if your neck has multi directions and you move your razor N to S in one area and L to R in the next area, until all the neck is done once, it is 1 pass.

What you described above is 2 passes. All I am saying is, I feel 2 passes should be enough for anyone.

If facial grows in crazy directional patterns, it can still be done WTG on the first pass. It just takes some stopping, readjusting, going in a different direction (which may appear to be ATG on others faces). Follow that will an opposite stroke on all areas, ATG and it would be 2 passes.
Gotcha, and completely agree. The misunderstanding here is that on my chin and throat the growth patterns overlap. So there's a subset of whiskers under my chin (say 40%) growing north to south and the remainder growing right to left. In the same patch of real estate. The ratios reverse on the front of my chin, with a small number growing right to left on the left side too.

On the rest of my face I could absolutely do two passes and be done by carefully following the growth pattern. But with a straight I find it easier just to do 3 passes rather than fiddle with the angles.

Wr ong. If one assumes one's beard grows in only two directions, maybe, but I'd guess the lion's share of men have beard bristles growing every which way and if one desires a true BBS shave, it's going to take 3+ passes (which would include touch ups). My beard has at least five directions of growth. Stopping and adjusting to each of these directions might be your way but you do you.
Wrong? It's my opinion, how can it be wrong?

Many areas that are multi-directional grown, can take XTG on the first pass, so you don't need to adjust for every change or pattern.

But what do I know. :letterk1:

It depends on your shaving philosophy. Some folks believe in beard reduction and that way they do more passes, but perform less strokes in order to avoid nicks, cuts and irritation. Others believe in beard removal, which can either lead to both more strokes and more passes or less passes and more strokes. In either way, it's all about what works for you and there's no universal way of shaving that would work on absolutely everyone.

Last edited:

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Any more is by choice to enjoy the shaving experience or user error on the first 2 passes

User error is usually the reason for my second pass. And my other second passes. This week involves two intentional passes, so passes three and four and more will be user error.

Some of my razors are perfectly capable of BBS plus some touch ups in one pass.

That’s most of my razors, but my hands bring negative consequences to that ability. Very surprised the RazoRock “German” 37 is capable of one pass + touch ups BBS shaves as it’s nothing like a Yaqi Agamemnon.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Ive been using straight razors going on five years now and only do two passes. The first pass gets the job done and the second is more of a touch up in case I've missed anything. I rarely take more than five minutes shaving. I still have the same attitude I had when I first started shaving 55 years ago - just get it done and get along with life and never thought of shaving as some kind of hobby although I do enjoy it. I don't feel clean if I haven't shaved.

For those who understand how shaving with a DE works, three passes is the correct way to shave (if one has the time for it). I get that a quick one pass was the way back in the old days where dad was in a rush to get to the office and look presentable but today? Guys in a rush have most likely moved to carts or a rechargeable electric and shave sitting in traffic...
I understand how a de razor works and how to shave with it, where is it written that 3 passes is the correct way to shave?

Think of it in the British tradition; it's the proper way to shave. Most people don't do many things properly and the internet is the place to talk about it! ;)
Think of it in the British tradition; it's the proper way to shave. Most people don't do many things properly and the internet is the place to talk about it! ;)
Who decided what the (proper) way to shave is for everyone?

Top Bottom