What's new

How Did the Three Pass Shave Originate? One or Two Passes Were Standard Historically.

I remember watching my grandfather (SR) and uncles (DE) shave: one pass. Period! (My dad used electrics only.)

I added a second, then a third pass after joining B&B! For me, three passes results in a better shave!!
For those who understand how shaving with a DE works, three passes is the correct way to shave (if one has the time for it). I get that a quick one pass was the way back in the old days where dad was in a rush to get to the office and look presentable but today? Guys in a rush have most likely moved to carts or a rechargeable electric and shave sitting in traffic...

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
My Gem Jr. Bar's original instruction pamphlet says to shave one pass WTG. If that's not sufficient then a second WTG pass is recommended. The user is cautioned not to shave against the grain.

Thinking about the cultural and social context of the artifact...ahem...sorry. When that razor was new people lived differently. The whole "you can shave yourself" trend was really about keeping the whiskers trimmed back during the week. In the cities many men still went to a professional barber once a week for a haircut and shave.

Up this thread are some vintage instructions for professional barbers. It was in the interest of the barbers to preserve their traditional role.

Having done a single pass shave with a devette or shavette, I can say it at least cleans up the look from a distance. There's always a little left, though. I would probably shift to every day shaving if I were going to use a devette most of the time. The shave's a lot faster because only one pass. Even shaving twice as often in a week there would still be a time saving.

But I've got a number of razors that deliver some version of Really Good Shave. I like using them.

O.H.

Curious as to the origination of today's recommended three pass DE shave with, across and against the grain? Is anyone familiar with the basis for this? My attempt to research the topic hasn't found any historical basis for this beyond the more recent posts and videos from DE shavers who recommend the approach. Details of my experience and research on the topic are as follows:

I started DE shaving during my college days (After 5 years I went electric returning after decades to DE three years ago) and don't recall any instructions regarding this approach for shaving back then. Basically applied canned foam, shaved and did some touch up for a DFS. Today I achieve a BBS shave with two passes and some touch up. No need for a full third pass.

Research of historical commercial shaving directions hasn't surfaced anything on the three pass shave though there was some discussion of a two passes if an extra close shave was desired. Way back in 1905 a pamphlet on straight razor shaving (link below) stated " If you desire a really clean shave, you must go over the face the second time......In shaving over the face the second time, some reverse the stroke. That is, they shave upward against the growth of the beard, instead of downward, as during the first time over." basically suggesting an optional two pass shave with the first pass with the grain and the second against.

More recent DE shaving instructions from the mid-20th century either recommend one pass with the grain with some against the grain touch up (1961 Gillette Directions link below) or, similar to 1905 a single with the grain pass with an optional " if necessary" second against the grain pass (1963 Gillette British Directions link below). The 1958 directions (link below) only mention a single pass with long diagonal strokes that appear to be a trademark of many Gillette shaving instructions from those days. More recent Gillette instructions from the 1970s & 80s only focus on operation of the razor.

Found an old 2014 thread on B&B (2nd to last link below) where the posts also affirm that a one or two pass shave was pretty standard at the time these instructions were distributed.

I did find one possible source for the three pass shave in an open source professional barbering textbook (last link below) that talks about a three pass shave though interestingly it notes that the third pass is almost never done. The specific text instructions are"

"There are three main types of shaves traditionally practiced in barbershops:
  • The first time over: The standard shave service performed in barbershops today. It is performed using a lather on the beard and by shaving in the direction of the grain. This shave removes all visible hair growth and leaves the skin smooth and without irritation.
  • The second time over: This shave is performed immediately after the first time over to create a closer shave by removing any remaining hair. The second time over shave is generally performed on dampened skin with no lather, while working with or across the grain.
  • The close shave: A shave that is typically not practiced, unless the client has a particularly challenging beard or growth pattern, in which the first time over and second time over shaves were not enough to adequately remove all of the hair. This shave is performed against the grain, therefore it is not commonly performed as it is more likely to cause irritation, ingrown hairs, and the possibility of infection.
Source: Barbering Techniques for Hairstylists by Arden Magtiza and Gary Franceschini

In the detailed instruction section the text notes that "The Second Time Over" shave is only done where needed. It is not a full second pass. So really the recommended professional barber shave is a single pass with touch up.

Back to the original question. Is anyone familiar with how the three pass shave became the recommended approach for DE shavers today? Wondering if there is any real basis for it or if in reality, as noted in the text above, we just need to determine what works best for us given our unique beard characteristics and YMMV.

Post with links to 1905 shaving pamphlet

1958 Gillette U.S. Razor Directions:
https://mr-razor.com/Anleitungen/1958 TV Super-Speed.jpg

1961 Gillette U.S. Razor Directions

1963 Gillette British Shaving Directions

The History of Multiple Pass Shaving - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/the-history-of-multiple-pass-shaving.436596/

Barbering Textbook Link
The internet says so. , so people believe it and must do it. Before shave forums it was unheard of

I started shaving in 1956 and first learned by watching my father shave. He did a one-pass shave and didn't care if stubble showed. For him, it was get the job done as quickly as possible.

I learned by finer points of shaving from my barber. He told me to do a N to S pass followed by a S to N pass. Since my beard changes direction so frequently neither of these passes are strictly WTG or ATG. Later I added a third pass and then touched up where needed. And that was before the Internet. Some time ago I added a fourth pass so now I go N to S, S to N, W to E and E to W and have no need to do any touch ups.

I started shaving in 1956 and first learned by watching my father shave. He did a one-pass shave and didn't care if stubble showed. For him, it was get the job done as quickly as possible.

I learned by finer points of shaving from my barber. He told me to do a N to S pass followed by a S to N pass. Since my beard changes direction so frequently neither of these passes are strictly WTG or ATG. Later I added a third pass and then touched up where needed. And that was before the Internet. Some time ago I added a fourth pass so now I go N to S, S to N, W to E and E to W and have no need to do any touch ups.
Great example of how the correct way to shave is based on what works best for you. YMMV!

I don't know the origin or the "norm" back then, but I can't imagine stopping at one pass. That leaves too much stubble with my mild razors. My minimum would be two, with touchup, for DFS or SAS. Three with touchup for near BBS.

I said earlier in the thread that it was probably 15-20 years ago that I started to do more passes. As I think about it, I think it was longer ago than that because I don't recall shaving forums. Someone mentioned his barber gave him some tips and as soon as I read that, it sounded like a familiar story. Anyway, doesn't really matter but I have not stopped at one or two passes for as long as I can remember.

I do a 3 pass, with the safety razor it is the only way I can knock it all down. it still requires some light touch ups with my straight at that. the 3rd against the grain is the game changer. I like a BBS shave but that is just me, I accept no substitutes. it is also useful at work. say I am on nights. I can shave my first day w/ a straight and have some just barely visible stubble going in the next day, it doesn't really become visible until midnight, at which point, I am not worried about those who would complain noticing. I prefer to shave for work daily but sometimes I just do not have the time. once I get a day and a half of stubble I get antsy. 48 hrs is usually my max. i rarely ever go 3 days anymore, even on days off... the straight is coming out!

I said earlier in the thread that it was probably 15-20 years ago that I started to do more passes. As I think about it, I think it was longer ago than that because I don't recall shaving forums. Someone mentioned his barber gave him some tips and as soon as I read that, it sounded like a familiar story. Anyway, doesn't really matter but I have not stopped at one or two passes for as long as I can remember.
Everyone is 100 % right when it’s their shave, like I said the internet and vendors play a big part. I started shaving in 1971, one pass then feel around for strays. Going to a barber in the mid 1970’s it was one pass across the grain nice close comfortable shave, fast forward to the internet and cool aid and that’s how I remember it.

I don't know how it could have originated, I feel like part of the reason why I do more passes is because these concentrated soaps easily make enough for 3 passes, so I consistently do them for that reason maybe? I don't think I was influenced by YouTube since the primary channel that I watch has always been Kensurfs, that was my intro to wet shaving and he does two passes usually if I'm not mistaken. So, I think it's just something I've naturally gravitated towards. I tried to go more towards 2 passes, but 4-5 shaves per week at 3 passes works well for me so I just went back to it.

I think the reason for the difference between then and now, though, is obvious. Back then they were shaving in the morning before work, they were trying to get it done quickly and they had one soap/cream that they used and one razor they used. We shave for pleasure, we like taking our time with it because it's a hobby. That's what makes the most sense to me.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
This might sound dumb but I wonder if anyone on B&B does more than 4 passes?
Considering that some chase a perfect BBS, maybe somebody goes beyond 4 passes!
I did a 7 pass shave a few days ago. Why? Not because I had to but because I could. A few months ago I did an 8 pass shave. I think it was to celebrate my 800th SR shave.

The 7 pass shave was 4 x WTG + 3 x XTG for my normal DFS+ result. I can get the same result with three passes (WTG + 2 x XTG) but that isn't as much enjoyment.

I did a 7 pass shave a few days ago. Why? Not because I had to but because I could. A few months ago I did an 8 pass shave. I think it was to celebrate my 800th SR shave.

The 7 pass shave was 4 x WTG + 3 x XTG for my normal DFS+ result. I can get the same result with three passes (WTG + 2 x XTG) but that isn't as much enjoyment.
8 Passes, Wow!
That's the most I've read about.
Now I'm curious if someone exceeds that, LOL!!

lasta

Blade Biter

8 passes?!
1665467895641.png

Very interesting indeed. I only heard of the three pass shave on the internet. I just assumed it would logically provide the closest shave with the least amount of irritation. I have done 3 in the past but generally only do 2 passes: with and against. When I started shaving, before the internet was invented, I only did one. You appear to have a clean shave, but it doesn't feel that close. As long as you appeared to have shaved the military was satisfied. I remember having to dry shave in the field. It was pretty terrible. Luckily, my beard wasn't as thick then as it is now.

I get a bit bored after 2 and some buffing...couldn't imagine 5 or 8 passes.

The only thing I knew when I started was shaving with the grain and against the grain. No one ever told me anything about face mapping or whatever. For better or worse, I'm doing my usual 3 + pass shave, which is basically 1 WTG pass and while doing the first XTG pass, I shave my whole neck ATG and then I do another XTG pass from the opposite direction with another ATG on my neck at the same time and after that if needed, a little touch up on my moustache area, chin and neck.

Top Bottom