What's new

How did the Japanese strop, old school?

Well it's titled "te ire" which means "to maintain", so I assume it's a normal everyday stropping.

Te means hand but I'm not sure about the verb. Te ire can also refer to repair but regardless the fact remains it is a feasible technique.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
手入れ usually means to clean/maintain, I heard it a lot when referred to skin care, 肌の手入れ. Sorry about the Japanese lesson, but the guy could be definitely referring to maintaining/repair as far as honing/burr removal, or maintanance from the standpoint of daily stropping...*shrug

手入れ usually means to clean/maintain, I heard it a lot when referred to skin care, 肌の手入れ. Sorry about the Japanese lesson, but the guy could be definitely referring to maintaining/repair as far as honing/burr removal, or maintanance from the standpoint of daily stropping...*shrug

Doesn't your universal translator tell you, doc?

Thanx for the Japanese lesson. There is always more than one meaning & I'm always happy to learn :001_smile

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
It was confiscated back on Star Base 9 along with a case of Romulan Ale . I'm relying on my high school education now...I guess it could mean "care" like skin care too, since that what google told me :lol:

Last edited:

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Well took some time to read the page, the guy runs a barbershop, and offers shaves with western and Japanese razors.

I don't think that in the olden days of Japan they had very many cows or horses to make long leather strops out of. They may have had smaller strops but my impression is that before the Meiji Restoration of 1857 most likely palm stroping was the common way.

A couple of months ago while passing through San Francisco airport they put me in full body scanner, and guess what set off the red light, my left palm. I am a habitual palm stroper and the scanner picked this up as a possible suspicious powder. They called me to the side and took a swab of my hand, inserted into a chemical analyzer. No nitrates so they let me pass. Alx

I don't think that in the olden days of Japan they had very many cows or horses to make long leather strops out of. They may have had smaller strops but my impression is that before the Meiji Restoration of 1857 most likely palm stroping was the common way.

A couple of months ago while passing through San Francisco airport they put me in full body scanner, and guess what set off the red light, my left palm. I am a habitual palm stroper and the scanner picked this up as a possible suspicious powder. They called me to the side and took a swab of my hand, inserted into a chemical analyzer. No nitrates so they let me pass. Alx
That's a cool story!

And it makes perfect sense. Our skin is basically leather that hasn't dried yet.
And as long as you are careful, you really can't injure yourself either.

Top Bottom