What's new

How did men choose DE razors in the Golden Age?

This forum is filled with scholarly analyses of the various classic razors-the blade angle, the weight of the handle/head, the geometry of the head, etc. etc. As far as I can tell this information was not provided by Gillette (et al). Before this information was available, and before written/online reviews how did a man select a razor given the fairly significant differences between them? Did they just try one?-that could have gotten expensive given the inflation adjusted prices, rely on friends, etc. Any ideas?

This forum is filled with scholarly analyses of the various classic razors-the blade angle, the weight of the handle/head, the geometry of the head, etc. etc. As far as I can tell this information was not provided by Gillette (et al). Before this information was available, and before written/online reviews how did a man select a razor given the fairly significant differences between them? Did they just try one?-that could have gotten expensive given the inflation adjusted prices, rely on friends, etc. Any ideas?

I think we need to refine the terms a bit, before our economic historians can dive in. There's a big difference between, say, the 1890s and the 1950s. From what I understand, DE razors were not always very affordable to the average person, and personal ownership of any kind of razor, rather than the occasional trip to the barbershop, was a mark of socioeconomic standing. This changed over time, so that by the 1950s – and someone please correct if I'm wrong! – it was far more affordable and normal for even relatively poor people to own some kind of razor.

Point being, the expense of buying and trying a few different razors in the early years of DE shaving might have been a minor concern, since the target market was likely men with a relatively high degree of disposable income anyway.

I'll be interested to see what more learned parties in these matters have to add.

How did I choose my first razor? My Father bought it for me. My Father bought his first razor from the drugstore in town.

As much as we relish our vintage razor hobby, and greatly enjoy better shaves as a result, I'm afraid our forebears were driven by the marketing of the day, just as our "unenlightened" brethren of today are.

Prior to WWI, daily shaving was not the norm, and safety razor use was minimal. Gillette's offerings were not inexpensive by the standard of the day. After "The Great War" many men came home with both the razor issued to them and the daily shaving habit.

With the introduction of the "New Improved" razors in the early 1920s, Gillette did continue to offer the "Old Type" (Pocket Edition style) razor for a much lower price than the deluxe razors. They were able to target razors to both ends of the economic spectrum.

Along came the Great Depression, and the introduction of the "NEW" Gillette razor and blades. With the poor economic times, Gillette offered the Goodwill razor "free" with the purchase of blades, and started a whole new method of marketing. World War II further cemented the American male's use and dependence on Gillette products by way of razors and blades issued to soldiers. For civilians, the war's rationing and consumer goods shortages only fueled the demand later once the war was over and production returned to normal.

Gillette's mid-century marketing and advertising efforts were tied in to professional sports . . . one of those "well, duh . . ." situations that still exists today!

Gillette offered premium razors (Sheraton, Senator, Aristocrat, President, and all the adjustables) for upscale customers and gift-giving opportunities . . . but "Joe Average" bought Techs and Super Speeds by the bazillions for daily use.

The Trac II, Atra, Sensor, Mach 3, and Proglide were just the evolutionary result of marketing and patent protection. Most guys still, as always, just buy what Gillette offers . . . believing it is "The Best a Man Can Get" . . .

While others (GEM, EverReady, Schick, Wilkinson) tried for market share, it was Gillette's "Big Giant Gorilla" marketing that continues to drive the selection of what men shave with.

Last edited:
A razor used to be a tool to remove whiskers, not a highly collectible vintage item. There was no analysis of geometry and weight and handling, that's all modern internet-driven froofrah. You'd pick one out of the selection of whatever your local store carried, you'd get one as a gift or you'd buy one from a catalog.
Either way, you got one and just lived with it.

A razor used to be a tool to remove whiskers, not a highly collectible vintage item.
You'd pick one out of the selection of whatever your local store carried, you'd get one as a gift or you'd buy one from a catalog.
Either way, you got one and just lived with it.

That is it exactly. My father started out with a Gillette DE and used it until the 50's when he bought a Schick J type injector because it was smaller and easier to travel with. He bought me my first razor.

I think we need to refine the terms a bit, before our economic historians can dive in. There's a big difference between, say, the 1890s and the 1950s. From what I understand, DE razors were not always very affordable to the average person, and personal ownership of any kind of razor, rather than the occasional trip to the barbershop, was a mark of socioeconomic standing. This changed over time, so that by the 1950s – and someone please correct if I'm wrong! – it was far more affordable and normal for even relatively poor people to own some kind of razor.

Point being, the expense of buying and trying a few different razors in the early years of DE shaving might have been a minor concern, since the target market was likely men with a relatively high degree of disposable income anyway.

I'll be interested to see what more learned parties in these matters have to add.

You posted while I was composing my long-winded verbosity . . . but yep, I think you're right on the money for the early days, at least!

The you tube Mantic show and tell stuff along with this site and vendors and B/S/T and ebay give us the ability to understand wet shaving on a level I cannot imagine ever having achieved in the absence of the digital world.

Without that world I wouldn't have ventured into wet shaving to begin with, as I did at the age of 60.

Last edited:
My first razor ( a Gillette SS) purchased around 1963 was the current version of what my father was using. I think most of my friends used the same razor. At that time using a Gillette was pretty much like owning a Chevrolet - might not have been the 'top of the line' but it got the job done and could do it day after day forever. We had a different view of life then - hard to explain but in so many ways, life was just simpler then - not near so driven by Capitalism.

I used to wonder why men in the civil war hardly looked like they shaved...I read an interesting article that said there were so many more environmental variables during those years that would kill you than shaving with a straight razor..:)

Toulouse, lots of men and young men around me were wet shaving when I started around that same time. It happens that my father, the only other male in the household, used an electric. With no one to teach me, and no ability to do it myself, I crashed and burned after a couple of wet shaving attempts. I went electric and stayed there. I recall a lot of Gillettes around at the time, including adjustables. Gillettes are the only razors I can recall as I think back.

I don't think the vast majority of folks (apart from everyone here) put much thought into their razor today...you buy the one that's on sale at the store, then you just buy carts for it.

I used my dad's superspeed when I started to shave in the mid 70s . As I got older and started to work I bought my first razor, a Schick injector with racing stripes. I bought it because I knew my sisters wouldn't take it to shave with. I remember one year getting a hot lather machine for Christmas, I thought it was the best gift,as our house was always cold in the morning and this was a great way to wake up. As I got older I switched to electric to save time.

Shaving was looked upon as a necessary evil and not something you looked forward to doing. I wold venture to say the majority of the males in our family started to shave with electric razors in the 60s and 70s. The majority of my relatives with the exception of my sons and I still do.

I don't think the vast majority of folks (apart from everyone here) put much thought into their razor today...you buy the one that's on sale at the store, then you just buy carts for it.

+1

And it was the same in the past. To most men (today, and in the past) shaving was just shaving: a tedious chore to be completed, and completed as quickly as possible.

Men of the past likely owned a single razor (whatever they could find locally, and at the best price), and owned until it wore out, or until the marketing of the day enticed them to try something new.

Owning multiple razors is a phenomena unique to the shaving community. Most men of today (like most men of the past) own a single razor, and don't spend much time thinking about shaving.

+1

And it was the same in the past. To most men (today, and in the past) shaving was just shaving: a tedious chore to be completed, and completed as quickly as possible.

Men of the past likely owned a single razor (whatever they could find locally, and at the best price), and owned until it wore out, or until the marketing of the day enticed them to try something new.

Owning multiple razors is a phenomena unique to the shaving community. Most men of today (like most men of the past) own a single razor, and don't spend much time thinking about shaving.

My Grandfather owned a single straight razor which is now in my possession. He shaved with it daily until his palsy got so bad that he couldn't hold it any more. He used to strop it and take it to the local barber to get it honed.

+1

Totally agree with you John. I started out with my dads Trac-II and used it through high school, then Uncle Sam sent me an Atra that I used from 1983 to 1997 when I switched to the Mach-3. I've still got the Atra, and the Mach-3, don't know what happened to the Trac-II.

Clayton

My father used a gold Gillette and I bought one also with money I earned cutting lawns. Since I tore myself to shreds with that razor my father suggested an adjustable which I did get. When I went into the Navy I got another in the exchange that "looked nice" but did not cost much, not very scientific. Kinda' funny but when I was small, I use to sneak a shave and cut my little peach fuzz and never ever cut myself. Only got caught because I didn't clean the razor, or didn't put it back in the right spot in the medicine chest. When I could "legally" shave, I had a heck of a time with cuts,

Last edited:
+1

+1 Even today other than enthusiast's of shaving like us people don't care about shaving that much. For them it is one chore in the morning just like brushing teeth. Do you guys care that much about from what you are brushing , and that kind of attention is given to shaving by the general public irrespective of times (Luckily I haven't heard about brushing communities up to now :lol: )

Like tooth brushes they buy what ever available at the drug store or super market.

Top Bottom