What's new

How close of a shave is too close?

To close for me is when I get irritation the next day or so after. I guess there are levels, I imagine you would know that you messed up if your face feels raw soon after.

So I guess what your saying is that when I was learning to shave around 1970 or so, when my dad said to me my goal was to shave my face to what he said should be equivalent to a babies smooth bottom end without any irritation he was just blowin' smoke up my backside? :facep:

Did he ask if you were happy with CCS and wanted to jump up to DFS? Or did he just say to shave yourself smooth?
The answer is in the post previously. Like him, I'm just the same as in if I had to accept a CCS or DFS shave I would grow a beard and never shave again!! It's BBS or don't even bother shaving at all...

To close for me is when I get irritation the next day or so after. I guess there are levels, I imagine you would know that you messed up if your face feels raw soon after.
At age 76 and with an average beard I shave every four days and always have mild to significant razor burn lasting up to 24 hours. Ironically, when I hold up a magnifying mirror to my skin in bright light there is NO redness or signs of irritation-it must just be my sensitive skin.

At age 76 and with an average beard I shave every four days and always have mild to significant razor burn lasting up to 24 hours. Ironically, when I hold up a magnifying mirror to my skin in bright light there is NO redness or signs of irritation-it must just be my sensitive skin.
I'm just a couple years behind you and shave twice a week.
#1 don't do any touch ups without lather.

Try some Thayers Facial Toner Rose Petal afterwards. Really puts out any heat, been a miracle cure for me.

For me is when my stubble grows back and I rub my face from washing it and it feels my stubble is poking me. It’s sort of a stinging feeling. This happens if I go ATG, especially on my neck. I normally can only go ATG on my cheeks.

3 things for me

1.) no irritation
2.) minimal facial feel after the shave
3.) no ingrown hairs within 24 hours

Any of the above and I likely was too aggressive.

IMO, if an alcohol-based splash stings all over when you apply it, you shaved too close.

If you do it just right, you can get the stubble off but the aftershave doesn't burn at all.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
As long as I do my part, I get 12 hour shaves from all the razors I use routinely. I use prescription Metro Gel as part of my post shave and I dampen my face before applying. It goes on smooth and tells me if I’ve missed any whiskers.

I do use alum (I use the large Lea deodorant alum) after every shave and it always stings slightly. It’s pretty easy to tell if I’ve over shaved my problem areas. I will never have a “BBS” shave. I’m a few weeks away from 70. My skin will never feel that soft, but I get it smooth. <eg>

At 76 I am not trying to look good, or be a fashion model.

I shave daily, because it’s what I did forever, and I mean daily.

Don’t spend a great deal of time trying to get a perfect shave.

Don’t do no pre shave fancy routing, lather up, brush teeth, then shave with two or three passes. Hit shower next, and use baby shampoo on heat and face.

Try to use sharp blade, don’t shave with dull blades. Blade are cheap.

Most of shave soap I use is on sale, or Barbasl I bought at 99 cent store two for 99 cents.

Shave brush is old, on life support.

Next purchase when I find deal.

Think my last bottle of after shave was Polo by Ralph Lauren. Think it went dry from not being used. Stuff had alcohol, caused stinging. So after shave of chive is Witch Hazel on head & face post baby shampoo.

For me, an ATG-supplied BBS is usually too much.

Feels great at the time but almost always leads to ingrowns or similar issues due to the nature of my whiskers and how they grow.

Those exact issues are what I originally sought to eliminate when I switched from carts to DE almost twenty years ago.

Therefore, I satisfy myself with WTG or XTG passes only...leaving the BBS dragon for others to chase. ;)

I shave daily, but never more than two passes plus touch-ups. For me, there is no correlation between irritation and weepers on the one hand and the closeness of the shave on the other. On those rare days where I get any of those unwanted outcomes, it is due to a some unidentified gremlin(s). I would swear that nothing is different about my preparation, equipment or technique, but every once in a while something does not go quite right. Hence - gremlins.

When you shave. And afterwards your face is sore/ hurts or you see blood or weepers. That was my experience in the USN and the reason I used electric for the remainder of the 6 yrs. Now it’s DE and every 1-2 pass every 3 days. “Work” clean shaven requirement.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
When you shave. And afterwards your face is sore/ hurts or you see blood or weepers. That was my experience in the USN and the reason I used electric for the remainder of the 6 yrs. Now it’s DE and every 1-2 pass every 3 days. “Work” clean shaven requirement.
My recollection of shipboard shaving was that the quarters were so tight the chances of getting your elbow jostled while you had a blade on your face were pretty high. Plus the laundry sent everything but blues back so starched you'd get neck irritation even if you had a perfect shave!

Top Bottom