What's new

How Clean is Your pocket Knife?

I have had pocket knives for years. It never occurred to me to clean them.
My wife would complain that they were dirty. I would use them for opening letters, opening boxes and cutting things. When I went away on vacation I got some really nice pocket knives that I do keep clean. By clean, I mean I could eat with them.

I also understand that many times you need to use a knife to cut things and open things, and the knife gets dirty. I guess real men do not care how dirty their knife is.

So, are your knives dirty or clean?

the cleanest my knives get is running them under water for a little and wipe them down with a rag. i kind of like it if my knife looks used. i have some knives i never use and are pretty much collectors and those i keep clean and shiny.

Mine stay mostly clean. I don't clean them every time I use them but if they start looking bad or get harder to open I will spray them with Gunscrubber. That stuff will clean anything.

My pocket knives are pretty clean as I often use them for food prep and eating while at the office. So I give them either a good rinse or wash before and after food handling.

...I also understand that many times you need to use a knife to cut things and open things, and the knife gets dirty. I guess real men do not care how dirty their knife is.

So, are your knives dirty or clean?

Actually real men (whatever that may or may not imply :biggrin:) probably do care how clean their knives are. Knives are tools and most guys I know subscribe to the adage...take good care of your tools and they will take care of you.

Real men take care of their tools. There were certainly times that I couldn't afford to replace them because of my own laziness. When my knife is dirty, I clean it. After I shoot, my guns are on the bench within a day.

I keep mine acceptable. I wouldnt eat with it unless I was in dire need to. I usually have some pocket lint in it, but other than that i guess they are mostly clean, just not sanitary.

I keep mine acceptable. I wouldnt eat with it unless I was in dire need to. I usually have some pocket lint in it, but other than that i guess they are mostly clean, just not sanitary.

Apparently my standard for eating with it is lower than yours. I wipe off dirt. Or rinse off it needed. Never really do any other cleaning. But I also frequently eat with it.....

The biggest "gunk" I get in mine generally, is a wad of lint in the lockback mechanism. I especially see it in BM Axis locks, a very superior locking mechanism.

I'll clean it if it gets especially dirty (gets sap on it or something gooey, dropped in mud, used for food, etc.) Most of the time it's a quick wipe with some paper towel or a leaf or something, though.

Top Bottom