What's new

How clean gold etch on an antique SR blade?

I often pick up straight razors at antique shops. Most are in good condition, but sometimes (okay...often) they do need a bit of TLC on the blades. If there was no gold on the blade I would just go through my usual restoring and polishing routine. Sometimes however, I find a nice razor and it will have gold etching on the blade. In so far as it is possible I don't want to disturb the gold on the blades. I would like your thoughts on how you would approach this problem. :pipe:
Here is an example of a recent Boker find:
Boker.jpg

Your best bet will be to mask off the gold plated sections and stay well away from them with any kind of powered buffing or sanding equipment. The gold plating is very thin and very soft, so it's going to pretty much disappear if you touch it with anything more than metal polish. If you need to use any kind of abrasive other than that tread lightly! You should be able to gently use something like Flitz metal polish or Mother's Mag & Aluminum polish on the gold as long as you don't do it repeatedly.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Gold electroplate. Using any abrasive (even the mildest) cleaner/polish risks ruining the gold plate. I'd try some lemon juice on a soft cloth to gently clean and see how that effects the tarnish then a soap and water rinse. Other than that, I'd leave it alone. Patina has its place IMO.

I'd say you will be between a rock and a hard place with those points of rust blooming under the gold. Trying to remove that without hurting the gold will be a bear. If you have any other razors with similar damage that aren't in very good shape, you might try using some Bar Keeper's Friend powder made into a paste and applied to the blade. The oxalic acid may remove at least some of the rust without removing the gold, but it's iffy. If the gold was attached to the steel that has turned to rust it may loosen and fall off if the rust underneath is dissolved away.

ANYTHING you use on gold will be wiped away. The WD 40 trick I haven't tried BUT I do know WD is a cleaner so on my next gold restore I will try it. I trust Doc and his expertise.

Larry

Thanks everyone for the advice. I have tempered my expectations...if I can clean it up a bit and keep a bit of the gold etch then I will be pleased. I have restored enough of antique store razors to know that sometimes it works and other times it doesn't. Just depends on the condition of the blade. I ask the "gold etch" question every year or so hoping someone will impart some new great pearl of wisdom. @Doc226 advice is the best so far. Much appreciated. :pipe:

Top Bottom