What's new

How clean are your dentist's or dental hygienist's gloved hands?

Was at the dentist last week for the biannual cleaning, poking and polishing and I was thinking about their hands. Yes they have (hopefully) sterilized tools and wear gloves but they also spend a fair bit of time touching other surfaces like a keyboard, the overhead light and other equipment that isn't sterilized between patients.

How is that not a risk for cross contamination?

A few years ago my dentist started telling me about the previous patient whom he was treating for an antibiotic-resistant bacterial infection. He'd washed his hands and changed gloves, but it made me nervous.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I hunt, process the harvest, washup, bbq, turn tortillas by hand , and eat using my hands. No gloves.
I figure my dentist’s office is cleaner than me!!
Hopefully

My dentist has every tool sterilised between uses, and every surface (lamps, keyboard, etc.) is either covered in fresh plastic wrap before every patient or she changed gloves after touching them.

Dentist?

What is the “dentist” of which you speak?
Is a fun place. You get there before your appointment but because its so fun they like to keep up the anticipation and make you wait. When they do take you into one of the treatment rooms you're surrounded by decor that would look at home in a Manhattan loft reminding you that dentists are highly trained professionals skilled at extractions from your insurance company and your wallet. When its finally showtime some bubbly airhead has you sit in the funny chair that before you know it you're supine and your head is below your feet. Now that you're feeling helpless and trapped the airhead starts scraping away at your teeth and poking at your gums with needle sharp probes all the while clucking under her mask and admonishing you for not flossing enough. Once and a while if you're not already uncomfortable enough she'll spray some water that so cold it must have come straight from a glacier on the most sensitive teeth.

At some point during your visit the dentist makes a brief appearance, the airhead genuflects and steps back letting the dentist in for a view of your mouth. He doesn't say much, just an odd sort of code language to the airhead about occlusal this, mesial that and 33, 21, 8. Sound like he's calling a football play.

But he leaves and now its time for the airhead to polish your teeth and she gives you a choice of flavors like mint, pina colada, bubblegum or root beer. But the gritty goop never tastes like mint, pina colada, bubblegum or root beer. No, instead it tastes like toilet bowl cleaner smells.

Once this is all done you're taken back to reception where an overly cheery middle aged lady with gigantic hair starts to wrestle you for your wallet. Since all you want to do at this point is leave you just start throwing money and credit cards just so you can distract her and make a break for the door. Just as you're at the threshold the cheery lady with the big hair yells out "see you in six months".

My dentist has every tool sterilised between uses, and every surface (lamps, keyboard, etc.) is either covered in fresh plastic wrap before every patient or she changed gloves after touching them.
I'm confident the tools are fine but no sign of any sort of plastic wrapping. Need to see if the Canadian Dental Association has any sort of guidelines published.

Is a fun place. You get there before your appointment but because its so fun they like to keep up the anticipation and make you wait. When they do take you into one of the treatment rooms you're surrounded by decor that would look at home in a Manhattan loft reminding you that dentists are highly trained professionals skilled at extractions from your insurance company and your wallet. When its finally showtime some bubbly airhead has you sit in the funny chair that before you know it you're supine and your head is below your feet. Now that you're feeling helpless and trapped the airhead starts scraping away at your teeth and poking at your gums with needle sharp probes all the while clucking under her mask and admonishing you for not flossing enough. Once and a while if you're not already uncomfortable enough she'll spray some water that so cold it must have come straight from a glacier on the most sensitive teeth.

At some point during your visit the dentist makes a brief appearance, the airhead genuflects and steps back letting the dentist in for a view of your mouth. He doesn't say much, just an odd sort of code language to the airhead about occlusal this, mesial that and 33, 21, 8. Sound like he's calling a football play.

But he leaves and now its time for the airhead to polish your teeth and she gives you a choice of flavors like mint, pina colada, bubblegum or root beer. But the gritty goop never tastes like mint, pina colada, bubblegum or root beer. No, instead it tastes like toilet bowl cleaner smells.

Once this is all done you're taken back to reception where an overly cheery middle aged lady with gigantic hair starts to wrestle you for your wallet. Since all you want to do at this point is leave you just start throwing money and credit cards just so you can distract her and make a break for the door. Just as you're at the threshold the cheery lady with the big hair yells out "see you in six months".

I'm confident the tools are fine but no sign of any sort of plastic wrapping. Need to see if the Canadian Dental Association has any sort of guidelines published.

Bravo!!!

It always comes back to Arko...
dave

Was at the dentist last week for the biannual cleaning, poking and polishing and I was thinking about their hands. Yes they have (hopefully) sterilized tools and wear gloves but they also spend a fair bit of time touching other surfaces like a keyboard, the overhead light and other equipment that isn't sterilized between patients.

How is that not a risk for cross contamination?

Probably cleaner than my mouth, and that's before I use swear words.

The dental office I go to had an issue with their autoclave or the procedure on sterilizing instruments.

They had to call about 200 people in and explain they were at a risk for hepatitis. Now they don’t unwrap anything so the patient can see the indicator tape and strips in the instrument package.

LMAO. You forgot to mention the small "gift" they give you of a toothbrush, a small tube of toothpaste, and dental floss all enclosed in a plastic case.

I think the gloves are more for their protection than for the patient’s, truth be told. Same with the mask. Anyway that’s the impression I always get.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

That is pretty funny. Another group that is right up there with hygienists is Physical Torturers, I mean Therapists.

LMAO. You forgot to mention the small "gift" they give you of a toothbrush, a small tube of toothpaste, and dental floss all enclosed in a plastic case.
LOL....hell's bells I didn't even get my "free" toothbrush from the last visit

That is pretty funny. Another group that is right up there with hygienists is Physical Torturers, I mean Therapists.
I've had a few PT's over the years who have seemed to genuinely enjoy themselves to see their patients in agony. They must make interesting lovers :117:

I think the gloves are more for their protection than for the patient’s, truth be told. Same with the mask. Anyway that’s the impression I always get.

:thumbsup:

When they are scraping your teeth, and especially if it's an ultrasonic scaler, whatever bacteria are in your mouth are getting sprayed everywhere.

Top Bottom