What's new

How can you tell the difference between...

a NEW Standard and a Chippendale?

I picked up a razor at an antique shop and it looks just like the picture of the Chippendale at mr-razor.com, but on the other hand I think the NEW Standard looks almost exactly the same.

Razor experts, help me out. It looks to be solid brass. I shined it up last night and it's definitely more "gold" than "silver" in color. It has diamond-shaped stippling on the handle in a pattern just like the Chippendale picture on mr-razor's site.

Any ideas of how to identify it would be appreciated. Also, what is it worth?

These are all New Improved razors that are identicle except for the box that they came in. A New Standard is the same as a Bostonian that is the same as a Richwood, etc. Some came in gold and silver versions.

These are all New Improved razors that are identicle except for the box that they came in. A New Standard is the same as a Bostonian that is the same as a Richwood, etc. Some came in gold and silver versions.

+1

... but the Chippendale is engraved under the head. The case and the blade box are engraved too.

proxy.php

Last edited:
Thanks Achim! That does make that razor unique. What about the Algonquin? Does that have any razor distinct markings?

My razor looks like that one. But it doesn't have a box.

So I think what you're saying is that without the box there's no way to tell the difference? Or is it that without the box there actually IS no difference?

In any case, is this a valuable razor?

Thanks for your help.

Based on Achim's post the Chippendale is different in that it has engraved designs that match the box. The razors I previously mentioned are all the same except for the box. Hope I haven't confused you totally.

So I think what you're saying is that without the box there's no way to tell the difference? Or is it that without the box there actually IS no difference?

Thanks for your help.

The difference to the "normal" New Improved like New Standard, Richwood, Traveler or Bostonian is the engraved base plate.

Thanks Achim! That does make that razor unique. What about the Algonquin? Does that have any razor distinct markings?

Yes, the Algonquin is a engraved New Improved too. He has no SN, the Gillette Logo and "Made in USA" are inside the head and the cap is engraved too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom