What's new

How can you color epoxy?

Can you buy colored epoxy? If not how can you add color (specifically green)?.....Any help would be appreciated gents.

I've seen it in white and gray. I would mix up a sample batch and add green food coloring. Then I would mix another sample and color it with green cloth die. After doing this I would test both batches for strength and integrity. If they are both strong, I would choose the one that most closely matches the shade of green I was trying to achieve.

I would not recommend food coloring. It is water based, which may affect your epoxy in a bad way.

If you can get some chromium oxide abrasive powder, you will have the best colorant available. Lots of members here use CrOx powder to polish the edges on straight razors. It's main use in industry is as a dye. It is the green commonly found in cosmetics.

Having used epoxy for boat repairs the est way to color it is to use the colorant for that is for fiberglas. One thing to keep in mind is that epoxy generally has a yellowish or greyish cast when set so getting it to the exact shade you want can be tough. Most any marine/boat supply store should have what you need.

Just be sure to mix it into the base BEFORE you add the hardener/catalyst.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I use Testor's Model paint to color epoxy when I need it. Have used it many times for pens, it works fine.

Yes you can buy colored epoxy. It is used for furniture and woodworking among other things. Several companies see a variety of colors.

I have used Testers paints many times to color epoxy. Never had a problem. For years my hobby has been to build scale models.

They sell color kits at many store and marine suply stores (as mentioned earlier)

Universal paint pigments are compatable with most types of epoxies and polyester resins, you can get some from the store if you ask nicely. Probably have to buy a container so they can ring out a transaction, and transport it home.

Powder tempra paint, dust from sanding, or other fine inert powder works well.

Best of luck!

Phil

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Practically any dry powder coloring will work. Just don't use anything liquid. Tempura paint powder, RIT powdered dye, whatever. The tinting agents sold by marine supply houses for coloring epoxy or polyester resin will work very very well but it isn't cheap.

Always do a test batch first, before the actual application! Measure carefully. Test for hardness and complete cure. Too much of another ingredient in your epoxy mix can weaken the finished product, so use what you need and not more.

Top Bottom