What's new

How can one tell solid handle open comb Gillettes apart?

This is a response to "All open combs kinda look alike, HOW CAN I TELL THEM APART?" b/c I actually find this even more confusing.

By solid handle, you mean the three peice style right? Like ball end olds, tuckaway new improved, and the various NEWs.
Handles are the same, ball end for OLDs, New Improved and NEWs, just the head is different. OLD head like in the other thread (razor A), New Improved for the tuckaway (razor C) and the two types of NEW heads (razor D & E) which come with that solid straight one peice handle, or a ball end handle

The differences are exactly the same as the other thread, they just had the ball end handle across all three models, and the longer teeth and solidstraight one peice 'common bar' handle for the new as well as the ball end.

Last edited:
The ball end is completely different to the ball end tech too.
Ball end open comb razors have a thick hollow handle, with the ball end pressed in at the bottom and the threaded neck pressed into the top. They often crack on the handle as the hollow metal handle is weak too.

The ball end techs do not have an open comb version, they are a solid blade guard only.
They have a thinner, solid one piece handle with a very small ball lathed on the end.

By solid handle, you mean the three peice style right? Like ball end olds, tuckaway new improved, and the various NEWs.
Handles are the same, ball end for OLDs, New Improved and NEWs, just the head is different. OLD head like in the other thread (razor A), New Improved for the tuckaway (razor C) and the two types of NEW heads (razor D & E) which come with that solid straight one peice handle, or a ball end handle

The differences are exactly the same as the other thread, they just had the ball end handle across all three models, and the longer teeth and solidstraight one peice 'common bar' handle for the new as well as the ball end.

The handles for New Improved are very different than the Olds and News. The Old, New and Tech handles fit on a New Improved "Tuckaway", but not the normal long razors.

I have been told that Old and NEW handles are different but look the same (ball ends).

I think Goodwills used the Old handle.

Yes, That's what I said. Only the tuckaway new improved. Ball end new improved (which is the tuckaway).
That's why I said three piece style, and only the tuckaway applies for a new improved head

Yes, That's what I said. Only the tuckaway new improved. Ball end new improved (which is the tuckaway).
That's why I said three piece style, and only the tuckaway applies for a new improved head

I must have misunderstood you then.
Sorry.

No worries, I forgot about the goodwill razor though, so thanks for bringing that up. :thumbup:
The thread that the OP was talking about already had the other new improved handled razors that weren't a tuckaway.

edit:By his statement saying he had already seen that thread, and was asking about solid handle types, I took it to mean he was asking just about razors where the guard isn't fixed to the handle for the OLD, New Improved and NEW and the common bar NEW, so any New Improved that meets that criteria will be the Tuckaway.

Last edited:
No worries, I forgot about the goodwill razor though, so thanks for bringing that up. :thumbup:
The thread that the OP was talking about already had the other new improved handled razors that weren't a tuckaway.

edit:By his statement saying he had already seen that thread, and was asking about solid handle types, I took it to mean he was asking just about razors where the guard isn't fixed to the handle for the OLD, New Improved and NEW and the common bar NEW, so any New Improved that meets that criteria will be the Tuckaway.

Gotcha, now it makes sense. I had forgotten the context of your response.

They are both NEWs. It's the head design that makes them a NEW (the slot going across the razor instead of studs).
One of them is a 3 piece ball end. No ball end handles had the comb/guard attached to the handle when dis-assembled. If it's a ball end, it's a 3 piece style that doesn't have the guard attached to the handle. It doesn't matter if it's an old, a NEW improved or a NEW, they all come apart the same way as that razor and have the same handle and only the head is different. They are "ball end X" where 'x' = OLD, New improved or NEW depending on the razor head design.

The other one is a deluxe, because it had the guard remain attached to the handle (like some OLDs and most New Improved), and had a similar style to the NEW improved handles.

So does that mean that all non-ball end open combs have the handle attached to the comb?

Also, are the non-ball end open combs always heavier and better balanced?

So does that mean that all non-ball end open combs have the handle attached to the comb?
I'd have to say no here, mainly the common bar NEW is a very common razor that was brought out after they stopped making the ball ends that is 3 piece, also I've got a few british non ball end combs that are normal 3 peice style and they are New Improved or NEW types.
Also, are the non-ball end open combs always heavier and better balanced?
No, the handles are hollow for both types, balance is about the same generally. But with the NEW Improved range, most razors were longer and heavier than OLDs and NEWs. The New Improved was mainly fancy razors in huge sets. Then they decided to make cheaper andd simpler NEWs for the common man, and Goodwill razors with left over parts. So for heavy big razors, the New Improved was the hey day of open comb razors as far as range of larger and heavier razors.

Last edited:
Top Bottom