What's new

How can I put this soap into another container?

I thought it depends on the soap content tho. If it's tallow-based, then you shouldn't melt it. Use the grater method.

That's what my research has led to as well. As long as it is glycerine-based with no tallow or lanolin, I think it's fine to melt.

+1 on this.
Do not melt if its not glycerine based - if it contains tallow or lanolin do NOT melt it. I have never tried this, however i have heard many that have tried this on tallow/lanolin soaps that say it ruins the soap. Technically it may melt, that i don't know, but from what i know many say it ruins the consistency of the soap, it wont be the same. Although tallow/lanolin soaps were once 'runny' or made from 'wet ingredients' once they set, that is it. Not the case with glycerine based soaps though - if its a basic glycerine ingredient base, (like Col Conk - works great), then melt slowly in the microwave. A few seconds at a time.

As stated, if the maker said don't melt it. Then don't melt it :thumbup1:

You can get a cheese grater at the dollar tree, homie. Lol.

Before I saw this message today, I bought a grater at the 99¢ Store because it was closer

If the maker said not to melt it, that would be good enough for me.

I looked back at the original message that I sent her asking about melting it, and she didn't actually say not to melt it, just that doing so was messy.

Well I don't RECOMMEND melting it. I've been making soaps for a while. A lot of soaps can be remelted and people do it. But it depends on what the oils that make it up are. Sometimes the lye will separate. I still recommend a spoon or butter knife. Then grate it. Take everyone's else advice, I was just making a point.

Thanks for clarifying that anyway.

It took me a couple of days, but today I finally bought a cheese grater because I forgot to buy one yesterday at Walmart. I grated the soap and re-formed it into the wooden bowl. The plastic of the original black container was easy enough to cut off with a kitchen knife. I put the little piece that I couldn't grate into a glass and heated it in the microwave to heat it and now I can say that it definitely does not melt; it only bubbled and re-solidified into a more ugly-looking substance (bottom pic) that I had to scrub really hard to get off. My microwave just had a knob to adjust the timer, nothing for the temp, but I don't know if that would have made a difference. I guess this was one of those things that I had to try for myself. Now I know so I won't have to go through the hassle again. Thanks for all help, people...

$IMAG1320_1.jpg
$IMAG1319_1.jpg

Top Bottom