What's new

How can i get closer shave on my chin without going against the grain

I've been using a straight razor (not exclusively) for more than 6 months now. I'm not afraid of it anymore. I also feel I can get a really good shave with it.

However, I'm still having problems getting a close shave under my chin. Even going four passes, I always feel like i'm missing something? Am I not stretching enough? Am I not stretching properly?

I don't really want to go against the grain, because I believe it causes ingrown hairs.

I appreciate any help.

thanks

I had a similar issue once. While I now go against the grain under and on my chin, having a sharper edge, steepening the shaving angle, and even pinching instead of stretching the skin helped. Pinching bulges the skin out, stretching it in a different way. Lots to experiment with.

Do you hone your own razors? Or did they get honed by someone who uses a straight on a regular basis? (One must shave with a straight in order to know what an edge must have)
I have sensitive skin and wiry beard, always got ingrown hairs from my electric shavers. But once I got honing down to my needs, I also stopped getting ingrown hairs, even when going ATG with the SR. That was a first experience for me, that it can actually be comfortable to go ATG. Not a must, but definitely a "WOW" experience.

The chin can be problematic with coarse beard growing in different directions and will take careful planning depending on which direction the beard grows. I usually grab the chin with my thumb and index finger and stretch the skin in both directions, that exposes the hair more for me. Just be careful not to cut your fingers.

All single edged blade will cut the beard flush to the skin, it cant lift and cut like disposable multiblade systems. It is therefore nearly impossible to get ingrowns as the hairs are above the surface of the skin, even with ATG passes.

The chin is particularly difficult to shave close, but with a keen edge and good technique ATG passes should be effort less and close.

Shaves should be comfortable and irritation free, BBS will follow once good technique and sharp edge becomes the norm.

ATG passes takes time to master, I only started doing ATG passes 8 months into SR shaving. I have fine, blond and curly hair. The last time I suffered with ingrowns was back in the day with disposables and electric shavers, since then NOTHING!

Do you hone your own razors? Or did they get honed by someone who uses a straight on a regular basis? (One must shave with a straight in order to know what an edge must have)
I have sensitive skin and wiry beard, always got ingrown hairs from my electric shavers. But once I got honing down to my needs, I also stopped getting ingrown hairs, even when going ATG with the SR. That was a first experience for me, that it can actually be comfortable to go ATG. Not a must, but definitely a "WOW" experience.

The chin can be problematic with coarse beard growing in different directions and will take careful planning depending on which direction the beard grows. I usually grab the chin with my thumb and index finger and stretch the skin in both directions, that exposes the hair more for me. Just be careful not to cut your fingers.
I had a wet shaver who supposedly had a good reputation for honing, hone my razors for me. I can tell you they came back very sharp.

All single edged blade will cut the beard flush to the skin, it cant lift and cut like disposable multiblade systems. It is therefore nearly impossible to get ingrowns as the hairs are above the surface of the skin, even with ATG passes.

The chin is particularly difficult to shave close, but with a keen edge and good technique ATG passes should be effort less and close.

Shaves should be comfortable and irritation free, BBS will follow once good technique and sharp edge becomes the norm.

ATG passes takes time to master, I only started doing ATG passes 8 months into SR shaving. I have fine, blond and curly hair. The last time I suffered with ingrowns was back in the day with disposables and electric shavers, since then NOTHING!
I went ATG today on andn under the chin. no muss no fuss. I also went at a steeper angle with the grain on ny chin its getting better. Practice makes perfect.

How about when you stretch your skin? Once you release, the hair will be below skin level.

I had a similar issue once. While I now go against the grain under and on my chin, having a sharper edge, steepening the shaving angle, and even pinching instead of stretching the skin helped. Pinching bulges the skin out, stretching it in a different way. Lots to experiment with.

Steepening angle was a great tip for me, thanks. Shallow angle first then steeper. This gave me a good result only going WTG.

I also find it helpful to also use a shavette mostly to have known sharp edge for comparison.

Using an alunblock to improve friction when streetching helps alot.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Actually I think that if you pull the skin uphill, toward the hair root, it does expose a bit more of the whisker, as well as stand it up a little straighter. The effect is of course very small but I do believe it is there. If you shave one cheek with the skin pulled with the grain and the other cheek with the skin pulled against the grain, you will see a difference.

As with @MO1, I get better results on my trouble spots by spreading the skin rather than stretching it. Pulling outward from the spot in opposing directions, rather than pulling from one direction. This seems to better press the flesh against my bone, bringing the whiskers (or hairs) proud of the surface a bit more. Whatever it does, it allows for me, a closer shave to the areas of concerns.

Experiment and it will work itself out in time.

Top Bottom