What's new

How can I compress remaining fragments of shaving soap in a shaving mug?

IMG_20181108_163243.jpg

Those fragments rotate when I load my shaving brush.

I'd like to compress those fragments into a thin plate. How can I do that?

The inner diameter of that mug is 4 inches wide.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
You could always store them away and when you have enough slivers of soap you can compress them all into one puck and have a frankensoap. Many do that here. I have a few put away and am waiting for enough to make my first frankensoap.

You could always store them away and when you have enough slivers of soap you can compress them all into one puck and have a frankensoap. Many do that here. I have a few put away and am waiting for enough to make my first frankensoap.
^^^This^^^ Some call it their "Clown Puke" Soap because of the different colors it can have from different remnants.

You can also combine leftover pieces and grate them into a stick. A penny saved is a penny earned Momma used to say.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
You can always use Williams and it will never occur to you to try to save remanents. Buck a puck. Nothing lost right?

As some others have said above, I save my odds and ends pieces of soap and eventually grate them into a Frankensoap. The last time I did that I made a soap from Cella, Tabac, D.R. Harris Sandalwood, and Williams.

I'm a stick user, so I don't have this issue, I just put the last of one stick onto the next.

Don't bowl latherers often plaster small samples into the bottom of a bowl? If the soap is too soft for this I would think that you could treat it like a cream or soft soap and just put a snurdle into a seperate bowl to lather. I use creams and soft soaps by just rubbing a snurdle into my stubble with my fingertips and then face lathering.

I get 'using it up' before starting another soap.

It's hard to tell from the pic how much soap is in the cup but here are several options you can try.

Grate the soap using something from your kitchen (like you'd grate a carrot with) and press it into the cup/bowl of your choice. Grating the soap allows it to conform to the shape of the bowl that you're using, making it much less prone to moving around.

Remove the soap and install it on top of the new soap that you're going to use (grated or ungrated). This way you'll use up the older soap layer first. You may get a little blending of scents as you finish the old soap and start the new one but it's an option depending on the scents and if you like them paired together.

Put it aside to combine with other scraps and samples to make a Frankensoap. Something fun to do and almost a rite of passage for the die hard soap fans.

Pull it from the cup and stick it to your shower bar soap to use it up in the shower. This will allow you to jump to your new soap right away without wasting the old one by throwing it away. I don't do this often but I have retired poorly performing shaving soaps to use in the shower. Many that I didn't enjoy shaving with are quite nice in this regard.

Pull it and put it into a screw top travel container/shave stick container to use in your travel kit.

Some might recommend heating it up in the microwave but I'm not a fan of that. Heating a soap at best diminishes the fragrance and at worst ruins the soap. I'd rather grate it myself.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
My grandpa had a mug full of small soap pieces. Shave soap AND bath soap. Eventually he would use them to shave with. Never compressed them as far as I know. Just tossed them in a mug and when he had enough in there he would load his brush like any other soap.

Put your remnants in a plastic leftover dish until you have enough to make another puck. I use a cheese grater from the Dollar Store. Just keep it out of the kitchen...
Here’s a recent creation:
proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Put your remnants in a plastic leftover dish until you have enough to make another puck. I use a cheese grater from the Dollar Store. Just keep it out of the kitchen...
Here’s a recent creation:
proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yup. A shredder is a great idea!

Top Bottom