What's new

How bout something different - Motorcycle Riding Gear

I like the look of leather but even perforated leather can get pretty toasty. I have a set of Scorpion touring gear right now and love it. The winter liners for both the jacket and pants are nice and toasty, and they both have really good venting for hot days. I ride year round and this set has been awesome for all conditions—plus I’m a big believer in ATGATT.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I like the look of leather but even perforated leather can get pretty toasty. I have a set of Scorpion touring gear right now and love it. The winter liners for both the jacket and pants are nice and toasty, and they both have really good venting for hot days. I ride year round and this set has been awesome for all conditions—plus I’m a big believer in ATGATT.
The helmet I bought is a Scorpion EXO Covert. I’ll have to check out their gear

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Scorpion makes the 3 in 1 helmets that are Harley Davidson logo.
It’s a real nice helmet. I put it on and was thinking oooooo this is going home with me. There is a big Harley dealer in the city I work in. One of these days I’m gonna stop in there. Maybe this weekend. I like those boots you posted

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I been looking at motorcycle boots for the past week! It’s worse than trying to decide on a pair of shoes!!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Alpinestars seems to be a really great brand. Very popular.
BILT doesn’t appear to be that bad either and less pricey.

But dang, so many options and styles and brands and blah blah blah

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member

If you decide on a style or brand, check out Zappos.com - a lot of times they have last years model at considerably less money than the boot shops.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Finally settled on a pair of riding shoes. I swear I looked at 100 different pair. Decided on the look of a sneaker over an actual boot. More new school riding gear I guess.

E5FE6201-9046-400F-A413-4F40B3E7F22E.jpeg

Generally, a very thick leather jacket except on very hot days, when a much cooler fabric and Kevlar jacket is used.
For the bottoms, ALWAYS an Kevlar armoured set of riding pants. Chaps, the sort which don't protect one's bottom, seem rather pointless. If you have to slide, your bottom is precisely the body part you want to slide upon, and that needs to be armoured as well.

FWIW, I own a BMW and a Honda. Motorcycle gear is about protection and safety, not style or fashion. I'm willing to leave the dressing up like a pirate to the Harley owners.

I ride in full Motoport Kevlar with various liners, or Langlitz Leathers Custom Jacket, KEVLAR lined jeans with Wesco Boss Engineer Boots. My third Langlitz, stretching back to 1979, current one built for me by Jackie, Ross's daughter, designed by Jackie and me in 1993. Still fits perfectly. AGATT.

BiLT is the Cycle Gear house brand. I used to work for CG and I was around when the brand was developed. It's designed to be entry-level and when you keep costs low, you do the same for quality. I'm not saying they'll fall apart when you look at them, just that there are better options.

Alpinestars is general good if you get the higher-end stuff. Make sure to keep their leather hydrated. IMHO, Dainese is a little better.

I have three sets of kit:
  • Johnson Leathers (from San Francisco) custom two-piece - all leather
  • Dainese jacket and pants - mix of leather and D-stone textile
  • Firstgear jacket and Joe Rocket pants - textile (and very reflective)

The kit I wear is dependent upon the weather, but I'm always protected. I went down (thanks to Cal DOT spreading road-colored pea-gravel in some corners with no warning signs) at 30-ish mph in the textile stuff and had one slightly blown seam on the jacket and no damage to the pants. I had a little friction burn on on forearm - that's it. I still use the gear.

Also:
  • Helmet - always Shoei, currently an RF-1200
  • Gloves - many: Racer High Racers, various Helimot
  • Boots - Sidi Discovery, re-soled once
  • Safety Vest - BiLT, because it's about visibility, not protection; worn with the leathers
You can look at Aerostich suits, too, and you might be lucky enough to find your size in a used one in a color scheme you can live with. I'll have another A-stich at some point.

Good gear is expensive, but can last a lifetime, or several crashes, or both. And as someone said, it's way cheaper than medical care or a funeral.

I think I want to go with leather. Just because it’s classic and will last for decades. I know they make some with removable lining too.
Leather might last for decades, but I've found that the zips and linings don't if used every day. Worth factoring into your cost/value calculations. Also it tends to shrink over the years. 🤷😀

Back protector.
Good point. I forgot to mention that I ride with a T-Pro Forcefield back/chest protector (EX-K Flite)...every ride. Some jackets come with integrated back protectors, and most of those are little better than double-ply cardboard. Ditch one of those and use a T-Pro or Dainese insert, or a separate protector like mine, instead.

Leather might last for decades, but I've found that the zips and linings don't if used every day. Worth factoring into your cost/value calculations. Also it tends to shrink over the years.
Linings and zips can be replaced. They'll wear out on any gear that is used daily. It's just that it's worth replacing on (quality) leather gear. With textiles, not so much, unless it's an Aerostich. Just one guy's opinion...

Top Bottom