What's new

How bout something different - Motorcycle Riding Gear

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Picked up my first motorcycle yesterday. Now I’m interested in some clothing for the ride.

Jacket - Summer & Winter
Pants - Summer & Winter
Gloves
Footwear

Whatever else I might need (besides the helmet since I got 2 already). So what are some good brands?? And what do y’all wear

Thanks!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Jacket - Summer & Winter
I'm fond of the traditional diagonal cross chest "biker" motorcycle jacket in leather. There are many manufacturers from big bucks to relatively inexpensive. Mine is a Wilsons Leather brand and it is quite sturdy. I wear it spring through fall, (I don't ride in winter) with the jacket fully zipped or fully open depending on the temperature.
P0.jpg

Pants - Summer & Winter
Jeans (mfg of your choice, but boot cut is important) If you like you can get a set of leather chaps to put on over the jeans, I have a pair of chaps, but it is very rare that I use them at all. They do provide additional protection, but they are quite warm, and a bit of a hassle to put on and take off.

Gloves
Get motorcycle gloves, not just leather gloves. Motorcycle gloves have the fingers pre-curved, so it isn't more difficult to hold the grips or brake or clutch lever. I've never used the exo skeleton type that have impact resistance, but some people like them. For me they are to bulky and heavy. Get two pair, one lighter weight for summer riding, and one pair with gauntlets that keep the air from being scooped into your jacket cuff opening and chilling you to the bone.

Footwear
Oil resistant sole over the ankle boots. Some have an extra strip of leather on the top of the foot to reduce wear from the shifter. I personally prefer boots with a zipper on the side. Struggling with laces or with pull ons at the end of a long ride isn't something you want to mess with. I have the Harley Brosner boots and they work a treat for me.
images.jpg
images-1.jpg

Picked up my first motorcycle yesterday. Now I’m interested in some clothing for the ride.

Jacket - Summer & Winter
Pants - Summer & Winter
Gloves
Footwear

Whatever else I might need (besides the helmet since I got 2 already). So what are some good brands?? And what do y’all wear

Thanks!
Sending you a PM

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I was just watching a video about different jackets. I think I want to go with leather. Just because it’s classic and will last for decades. I know they make some with removable lining too. So good for summer & winter. Not that I will ride in WINTER but I just mean when the weather is cooler, 50’s maybe. Down here there are times in December - February where it’s not unusual to get a sunny 50 degree day where a ride in the fresh cool air is doable.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I don't care what anyone says, leather is a bikers best friend and always has been.
There are modern abrasion resistant fabrics out there, but at the end of the day it's protection and style, and none of the bullet proof fabrics really have all that much style.

Bear in mind I am saying this from an older guy view point, someone of a younger age may very well prefer a younger more "dashing" style jacket.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I’m pretty sure the pro riders wear leather. I think they just call it “leathers”. That’s gotta be an indication that leather is timeless

This time of year a heated vest and a couple of different weights of gloves (different levels of insulation) is useful. Though exactly what you will want and need depends of whether your bike has a fairing and how much protection from the elements it provides. A rainsuit can be invaluable if you plan to travel very far from home in sketchy weather.

I have had several leather MC jackets over the past 30+ years. The only time I went down on the street, I was wearing a Pakastani leather jacket that I mail ordered from JC Whitney. I was glad I had it on.

During police motor school, I hit the pavement a time or two. I sure was glad I had on leather gloves and a jacket.

The best riding accessories I have bought are heated gear. I have ridden thousands of miles under 32 degrees. It feels good even on a 50 degree day, though.

My saddlebags always have 2 or 3 weights of gloves and a rainsuit.

Last edited:

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I have a Fox Creek Leather jacket from my riding days. That thing is THICK, literally a suit of armor right down to the custom fit. Saved my hide when I went down once. Fox Creek is probably the best value for the quality that I know of, and I highly recommend them. Great gloves too. Motorcycle Leather Apparel & Biker Accessories | FoxCreekLeather - https://www.foxcreekleather.com/ Whatever brand of jacket you get, just make sure it’s actually designed for motorcycling. The thin, supple leather on fashion jackets won’t do you any good, even if it’s otherwise quality full grain stuff.

If I stuck with riding, I would have looked for a perforated leather jacket for summer. The venting on my Fox Creek was okay, but still got pretty toasty in hot weather. I did have some perf leather gloves that were great and I still wear for mountain biking.

I always wore jeans when I rode. That was pretty dumb. I should have invested in better leg protection, at least some leather chaps or Kevlar jeans (like Draggin Jeans).

For boots, I always wore my old black combat boots that I couldn’t wear with my uniform after the Army went to desert tan suede boots. So that was cool, I guess. My favorites were my tanker boots. No laces to worry about, and they certainly looked the part of big Schitt-kickin’ moto boots.

As you probably know, you can pay as little or as much as you want for a new pair of boots. My recommendation is to, at a minimum, get over-the-ankle boots in the best leather you can afford. I prefer a resoleable welt (ie Goodyear, Blake, stitchdown) for a solid long term investment. You can’t go wrong with established American-made brands like Red Wing or Thorogood.

The kit used to be a full face helmet, decent gloves with some Kevlar on the palms and reasonably stout footwear. Belstaff Trialmaster jackets - one in dark green waxed cotton and one in brown leather depending on weather. Stylish in an odd sort of way. Late in teh game, I bought some Draggin jeans were pretty good - better than plain old jeans during the inevitable spills.

For some reason I lost interest in riding after having owned many bikes since I was about 16. I haven't had any interest since I sold the last one a few years ago.

I always (and I mean *always*) wore a Langlitz Cascade jacket with matching western pants. I can still remember sliding along the road, keeping the bike at arms length praying it didn't flip on top of me, thinking "this is going well." Barely scuffed the leathers.

First set was insulated brown cowhide. Handsome and heavy. I eventually traded that off for black goatskin: thin, flexible, tough.

On some foul days I occasionally thought maybe someday I'd try an aerostich jumpsuit, but I never got around to it.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I didn’t realize how expensive the gear would be. But I should have expected it. Holy crap!

Go to a bike week somewhere...There are tents upon tents of people selling leather at the swapmeets.

I believe Draggin Jean's is in the process of going out of business.

I have been to Fox Creek Leathers a time or two. They sell nice stuff.

I recently pared down my motorcycle jackets from half a dozen to three. I keep a canvas and leather Harley brand jacket that I have ridden so many miles in that the wind has destroyed the armpits from flapping. I keep a HD unlined leather jacket that is cut like a shirt and snaps closed. I also kept a nice HD jacket that retailed for $460. I got it for half price at a surplus tent sale at a HD dealer during a bike week.

This place had been around a long time. They have a pretty good selection of leather.

Top Bottom