What's new

How boars break in

I have a couple of synthetic brushes but don’t care for them. Just a personal preference. I don’t believe natural hair will ever be duplicated.

Have you tried the latest generation of synthetics, e.g., Tuxedeo, SynBad or Cashmere? The earlier synthetics were Stone Age in comparison.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
No I haven’t. I’m really happy with my boar brushes. They work well and I would rather buy straight razors than brushes when what I have work well.

I have a yaqi 24 , an Edwin jagger silver tip, a Kent -bk-8, a semogue OC, a pur blaireau and a razorock hulk.

I love my Edwin jagger and Kent , feeling wise but the Kent is very wide . I like boar because they seem to stay very warm . I don’t mind spending good money in just one brush instead of a variety however maybe a variety may suit me better ??

True, but why do it when you can get a latest generation synthetic that works perfect out of the box and better as well IMO across the spectrum? I used boars and one badger years ago, but these latest synthetics leave them gasping for air quite frankly.

Variety. I agree with your opinion on synthetics. They outlather any natural hair. But take your favourite food and try to eat it every day. I wonder, will it still be your favourite after some months?

I have a couple of synthetic brushes but don’t care for them. Just a personal preference. I don’t believe natural hair will ever be duplicated.

Goes to show we all have differing tastes that can change over time.

I'm happy to share my morning shaves with my horsey, oinkers, Bruce and I'm eagerly awaiting my badgers and another syn.

Mawashi

Yes, boars work well. However, these newest synthetics work better. Try one. They cost less than $20.

+1 I was scared to buy new synthetic after the traumatic experience with the S-brush. Then i bought Yaqi... A whole new world...

Goes to show we all have differing tastes that can change over time.

I'm happy to share my morning shaves with my horsey, oinkers, Bruce and I'm eagerly awaiting my badgers and another syn.

Mawashi

You are well put in the path towards shaving nirvana, Mawashi! :001_005:

+1 I was scared to buy new synthetic after the traumatic experience with the S-brush. Then i bought Yaqi... A whole new world...

You are well put in the path towards shaving nirvana, Mawashi! :001_005:

Hey BF,

I certainly hope so and now that I have a slightly better idea of what I prefer I can start to build a proper brush collection.

The brushes I see myself having are:
Omega 11126
Omega 10275
Semogue 1800
Yaqi High mountain Silvertip
This suspiciously looks like a smaller Bruce.
SG$ 18.07 | 22MM Synthetic Hair Milky White Resin Handle Men's Shaving Brushes
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/8eBxNp

I'll add a couple more once I try out those I've yet to receive lol.

Hey BF,

I certainly hope so and now that I have a slightly better idea of what I prefer I can start to build a proper brush collection.

The brushes I see myself having are:
Omega 11126
Omega 10275
Semogue 1800
Yaqi High mountain Silvertip
This suspiciously looks like a smaller Bruce.
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/8eBxNp

I'll add a couple more once I try out those I've yet to receive lol.

Your link points me to Aliexpress home page, where it doesn't show any brush.

Like many have said, use it every other day and let it sit near a window for 48 hours between uses. I did this with a Semogue 1800 and it went from good to great in 30 days (15 shaves). The wet/dry cycles is the key.

Your link points me to Aliexpress home page, where it doesn't show any brush.

I hope this works BF.

I think I’ll add $20 and buy another straight razor instead.

Same here Steve however, now that I have enough of daily drivers I really want to get something a little more exotic like kamis, large Swedish blades and prettier razors lol. Those need a lot more than an extra $20 lol.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur

I hope this works BF.

Same here Steve however, now that I have enough of daily drivers I really want to get something a little more exotic like kamis, large Swedish blades and prettier razors lol. Those need a lot more than an extra $20 lol.
I have come to love the Swedish blades and Soligen second although I do have a couple of Sheffield that are excellent. As far as size goes, my preference is 4/8 - 5/8 if you find an Eskiltuna blade in good condition, get it and worry about scales later. Just search the bay for Swedish brands and you will likely come up with something affordable. Or you could contact JR and he may have some. I got a couple from him.

Hi Steve,

Many thanks for you reply. I have gotten stuff from Jr before but its unlikely I'll be doing so moving forwards for several reasons I can share in a pm. As for blades, I am in the 13/16 to 16/16 camp as I just prefer larger and wider blades.

I also prefer really hard, sharp blades as I have the sort of whiskers that blunts blades pretty fast.

So I will be searching for reasonable Tanifuji and Swedish steel lol.

This thread was an interesting read. I have a Proraso Pro that is breaking in nicely but far from what I've seen in this thread. I just cant keep away from my badgers.

As far as the side discussions go.... no to synthetics and yes to straights. :001_smile Solingen, Sheffield........what about España? :thumbup:

This thread was an interesting read. I have a Proraso Pro that is breaking in nicely but far from what I've seen in this thread. I just cant keep away from my badgers.

As far as the side discussions go.... no to synthetics and yes to straights. :001_smile Solingen, Sheffield........what about España? :thumbup:

I get the love for straights and badgers lol. I love my boars but the feeling of a nice badger is something different.

But, the newer generation of syns are quite different, the Bruce feels pretty awesome when face lathering. Given its price its like a ready to go badger like brush that's cheap to boot.

I'm just happy to get enjoyment in almost equal from all my brushes so far.

Happy shaves,

Mawashi

Top Bottom