What's new

How boars break in

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
E007B2E7-6978-4C06-9120-13C186CAB18B.jpeg
Thanks @olegunnar , looks like lots of split ends on that one. And @rockviper says he can see lots of split ends on his B&B.

Like I said, 'maybe it's something about the way I use the brush.' The splits do occur, but I'm pretty convinced that they then shed one or more of the branches on my Omega boars.
Red = 10 years daily use >3,000 shaves, Black about 1 month sporadic use.

Red brush is softer and bristle ends all split but have never noticed pieces of broken bristle but then never paid attention to it. New brush is getting softer but not close to the old one. The loft on the Red is noticeably shorter so something is going somewhere.

Both are Omega Pro 10048s

Last edited:
Thanks @steveclarkus that's a good data point. Especially the shorter loft point. It looks to me like the black brush shows more split ends. Hard to tell in a picture though.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
88F2EBBC-2345-4F24-9744-8BEDBDA57BEA.jpeg
Thanks @steveclarkus that's a good data point. Especially the shorter loft point. It looks to me like the black brush shows more split ends. Hard to tell in a picture though.
looking at the individual bristles, not many have split yet but they will and the brush will feel softer as they do. I also have a new 49 in the same condition which I’ve used more because I really like the ergonomics of the longer handle. Makes me feel in charge of the soap I guess.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Well Victor, you have got me really going on this but I did find something interesting. I managed to get a single bristle wrestles out of the red brush. The end of that bristle had four splits going down about 1/8” and no evidence of a broken split. I tried to pull the splits farther down the shaft but no luck - they wouldn’t break off either. I couldn’t get a photo to show it though.

Steve

Ha! It is weirdly interesting isn't it? What got me going was my well used 10104 that is soft as a feather and I believe a wear induced shortened loft with very thin tips on almost all of the bristles, but relatively few splits. My new B&B with only 5 shaves on it actually shows more splits.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Ha! It is weirdly interesting isn't it? What got me going was my well used 10104 that is soft as a feather and I believe a wear induced shortened loft with very thin tips on almost all of the bristles, but relatively few splits. My new B&B with only 5 shaves on it actually shows more splits.
The bottom line on this subject is that boar brushes evolve into something wonderful with long term use and patience. What I now wonder is how many boars are discarded in a search for the perfect brush while the perfect brush was just a few hundred uses away.

I've always liked things that showed the passage of time and use. The fact that the brush keeps improving sets it apart from most things that wear.

The bottom line on this subject is that boar brushes evolve into something wonderful with long term use and patience. What I now wonder is how many boars are discarded in a search for the perfect brush while the perfect brush was just a few hundred uses away.

Being somewhat impatient I decided to break in boars my way and I'll say if I didn't at least try that I may never have thought boar brushes were something I'll enjoy.

Yes indeed. Guilty as charged. Except that I don't discard anything, I just put it to the side. I've learned that a well used good boar is better than an excellent new boar.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Being somewhat impatient I decided to break in boars my way and I'll say if I didn't at least try that I may never have thought boar brushes were something I'll enjoy.
I also “assist” in the break in. Whenever I wander into the bathroom, I brush my new brushes with a stiff hair brush as they dry. Brush up the bristles to separate them then give the top a good brushing. I also vigorously rub the tops on a terry cloth.

I also “assist” in the break in. Whenever I wander into the bathroom, I brush my new brushes with a stiff hair brush as they dry. Brush up the bristles to separate them then give the top a good brushing. I also vigorously rub the tops on a terry cloth.

Don't quote me on this as I can't verify the evidence but my ex used to tell me not to rub your hair vigorously while drying as wo water it causes a lot of friction and can break or damage the hairs.

The break in process while showering seems more natural and less damaging as the soap lather lubricates the hairs but only the tips scrub and split. Just my 2¢ worth on the subject lol.

Happy shaves,

Mawashi

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Don't quote me on this as I can't verify the evidence but my ex used to tell me not to rub your hair vigorously while drying as wo water it causes a lot of friction and can break or damage the hairs.

The break in process while showering seems more natural and less damaging as the soap lather lubricates the hairs but only the tips scrub and split. Just my 2¢ worth on the subject lol.

Happy shaves,

Mawashi
Thanks for the advice but my brushes have more hair than I. Lol

True, but why do it when you can get a latest generation synthetic that works perfect out of the box and better as well IMO across the spectrum? I used boars and one badger years ago, but these latest synthetics leave them gasping for air quite frankly.

True, but why do it when you can get a latest generation synthetic that works perfect out of the box and better as well IMO across the spectrum? I used boars and one badger years ago, but these latest synthetics leave them gasping for air quite frankly.

Variety. I agree with your opinion on synthetics. They outlather any natural hair. But take your favourite food and try to eat it every day. I wonder, will it still be your favourite after some months?

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I have a couple of synthetic brushes but don’t care for them. Just a personal preference. I don’t believe natural hair will ever be duplicated.

Top Bottom