What's new

How bad did I do??

I ran across this site on Friday and decided to grab some stuff while I was getting my haircut today. There weren't many local spots that had shaving gear (at least that I could find) and I didn't particularly want to wait for mail order on the first go around. I ended up finding a store that carried Art of Shaving stuff. The brush seemed over priced but the rest appeared ok.

Brush - $100 (fine not silver)
Soap - $40 with bowl (is cream better?)
E. Oil - $22 (is this needed?)

I am planning to stick with my Sensor razor until I get a Merkur HD. I tried to do a search to see if there were any reviews but the search engine kept looking for shaving instead of Art of Shaving.

So to all of you seasoned pros - did I just get had or is this stuff ok? I would really like to know before I potentially mess up my face! lol

Steve

Welcome to B&B Steve. It's good to have a fellow Texan on board. There is a shop near Rice called British Isles that carry Trumpers, Taylors, etc.

AOS soaps are good. The shave brush is overpriced but adequate. As far as shave oil, I don't use it so I can't comment. Good luck.

Thanks for the tip! I work near the store so it should be easy to pick up some stuff. Any suggestions on which of the two brands tends to be better (Trumper or Taylor)? And is soap or cream better in general?

Texas Bubba said:
Thanks for the tip! I work near the store so it should be easy to pick up some stuff. Any suggestions on which of the two brands tends to be better (Trumper or Taylor)? And is soap or cream better in general?
Welcome to B&B!

Both brands are excellent are very similar to one another. The Taylor's is typically quite a bit cheaper. As far as soaps versus creams go, the two have different qualities that give each a different set of strengths and weaknesses. Creams typically lather a little bit easier so may be a better choice while you are starting out.

Steve, it's a matter of personal preference. Excellent shave creams to start with from both companies include Trumpers Coconut oil or Violet and from Taylors Acocado or Almond. Taylors is the better value costwise.

As far as soaps try SaintCharles.com or Mama Bears shave soaps. Boths soaps are made by members of this forum. Both are excellent.

Welcome to B&B!

To comment on your questions. . .

The brush, as you suspected, is probably a bit overpriced but should serve you well.

You'll find both cream and soap fans on the forums, but as Kyle suggests, creams are a tad easier to lather up, especially in the beginning stages of one's addictio. . .I mean experience with wet shaving, so you may want to start out with a good cream. Taylor's works well and is less expensive than Trumpers, but you can't go wrong with either, IMO.

I don't use shave oils very much, and haven't found them to make a big difference when I do. If you can return the shave oil and get some cream that would be a good move.

Have fun, and check back to let us know how you're doing!

As a new wetshaver as well (about 2 months in, maybe), I can heartily reccomend the Shaving Mall section of the site. I was able to buy a nice Merkur Long Handle razor for $20 shipped, as well as a number of other soaps, creams, blades, colognes (check out the Decant Club) for a fraction of the price.

Top Bottom