What's new

How bad can a chip in a blade be before it can't be restored

I'm looking at a Kampfe Lather catcher set right now and the seller is sending me some pics of the blades. The set obviously needs to be restored before it could be shave ready. But my question is how bad can a set be before the blade is too far gone? One of these pics show a blade that's really bad. Can it be brought back or would these be unreasonable to ask someone to restore?

Screen Shot 2021-01-13 at Jan 13, 2021      2.52.16 PM.jpg

No idea on this specific set, but I would guess the sides can be smoothed out and the center portion used

I've done some work on SE wedge blades. I think they can all be sharpened.

But ...

The the lower left and the upper right may no longer fit the blade retention system (blade stops) with chunks missing along the sides and/or corners. Depends on the design of the razor.

I've done quite a few wedge sets. Your chipped upper right is shot for the Kampfe, but may work with one of the other wedgies, if you're collecting them.

I can't for the life of me remember the names, but there are 2 or 3 razors that have the adjustment screws at the back, and I've salvaged a couple of chipped blades for those. It may also work in a Wilkinson Empire, but you'd probably have to thin the spine out a good bit.

Like any rabbit hole, you can follow it waaaay down there...:bored:

Top Bottom