What's new

How Bad Are The Cowboys?

Did anyone watch the post game press conference with Wade?

I believe Michael Irvin made a lot of great comments afterwards. He commentated that when your coach comes out for a press conference after taking a "40 burger" and all he can say is the same things hes been saying all along it's over.

"if I knew how to fix it I would have already", if this isn't giving up I don't know what is.

"I called the same plays for the past 4 years", Some where there is a famous quote that says the definition of insanity is doing the same things and expecting a different result.

"it's the same coaching and players for the past 4 years", and when asked if he lost his players in the locker room "All I can do is look forward and continue to tell them what to do" then it's obvious the players don't want to play for him. Irvin flat out said if you can't rally around the coach, who are you supposed to rally around? Although players are paid professionals and should be self motivated, there is a lot to say for "winning for the gipper"

Too many years of having superbowl expectations in the preseason and only winning one playoff game, has decimated the heart and confidence of the team. If you heard this man at the press conference you would have been pissed off, I'm a Giants fan and was livid for Dallas fans. This guy sounded like a broke man. Like his wife left him and took everything including his manhood. He sounded like he was going to cry. Let me be clear, the guy in charge of "America's team" looked like a 5 year old, talked like a 5 year old, shunning responsibility, showing no passion, no anger and had a defeated aura about him. He looked like saddam when they pulled him out of the backhouse ditch. He even blamed his choice to challenge the touchdown on "the guy upstairs".

If that was Parcells, Cower or Coughlin, they would have looked like Roosevelt leading his Rough Riders, foaming at the mouth and calling players out in public. They would have taken responsibility and refused to be a part of it. They would have benched players, starters even. They would have aired so much laundry the players would be ashamed of themselves and show up in practice ready to impress. Those who didn't, they wouldn't want on the team anyway. Instead, Wade breeds complacent failure, and has done so his entire stay in Dallas.

You can't be the leader of the team, if you have no balls. This is football not croquet. Furthermore, in the past 3 or 4 games Wade has made so many coaching faux pas. Miss managing clock and making stupid calls either to spark some players up or because he really isn't a good coach. He did it again last night with 2:04 on the clock. He needs to go there is no discussion left at this point. I'm curious to see if Wade is gone by 5pm today.

Now, a lot of people want to put the blame on players, and they are to blame for loosing. It comes down to the individual's performance on the team. If you fail to play your best and take a loss, then you were out maned and every man has his day. You accept a loss on these terms. If you played at half speed and take a loss, then shame on you. I understand they are broken and lifeless, but you get paid a league minimum of $325,000 to sit on the pine and wear a shiny helmet. A lot of those guys last night with their tails between their legs get 10 or more million dollars a year to play a game.

"Shame on you" as Deon said. They are as much to blame as Wade Philips.

Deon was poignant last night when discussing cutting players who aren't professional and give up. These players are the front runners that have become the cowboys. He said "you can't cut 53 players, but you can cut 23 no problem" Trim the fat.

Lastly back to Jerry Jones. Jerry's expertise is as GM. His sons manage the business side of things, but hes an excellent GM. He has brought in a few guys like Jimmy and Bill who were also great talent guys as well as football masters. These guys very rarely made a mistake managing a game. Can you say that about Wade? Jerry is a typical alpha leather boot cowboy. He's in charge and everyone is gonna know it. But he was a good enough GM to know that guys like Jimmy and Bill who are control guys and know their profession will lead to success. Jerry made a bad call on Wade and needs to own up. He should have cut wade in his second year when he inherited a great team and did nothing with it. If your in charge, then your to blame here. This is your bed, lay in it. I don't like Jerry, never have. He leads to dramatic a football life for me. I prefer the men of old, strong, quiet, and feared. However, I'm sure some of my dislike is because I'm a Giants fan and Jerry is great at managing salary and talent.

This is not the first time I've seen the Cowboys like this. I remember a few years where they had more then 12 losses. I remember 1-15 and I loved it, as I do love this current flop. So long as they loose next week, I hope they get their act together because I used to take pride in knowing the NFC Beast was the number one division year after year. Your stinking up the place, Fix it. Just don't fix it till after next week.

Everyone keeps pointing to the Bills and saying they haven't won a game.

The big difference is the Bills care and are playing hard.

The Cowboys don't seem to give a hoot at this point.

I can't see the Bills losing out the rest of the season and I can't see the Cowboys winning any.

Jerry,

Amidst all the media calls for Wade's head, you need to stand firm. The middle of the season is not the time to make rash decisions. Removing the head coach now would do nothing but satisfy the knee-jerk reactionaries of the professional critics. More disruption is not what is needed at this time. What is needed is a measured response to apparent lack of focus on the current team. If the players will not play for this coach what would make you believe that they would play for a marquee name. With a marquee contract!Besides, given the state of the CBA negotiations, is it wise to pay a large salary to a big-name coach who might not have players to coach?

There is no need to upset the trajectory of your team at this point in time. However, if you decide, against your better judgment as stated by you numerous times over the first half of the season, to make the decision to remove the head coach please do so after next week's game against the NY Giants.

Respectfully,
SmoovD

/Go Big Blue!

Everyone keeps pointing to the Bills and saying they haven't won a game.

The big difference is the Bills care and are playing hard.

The Cowboys don't seem to give a hoot at this point.

I can't see the Bills losing out the rest of the season and I can't see the Cowboys winning any.

I was going to say the exact same thing. After the Jaguars trounced the Cowboys, Jags' quarterback David Gerrard said that the Cowboys didn't seem like they were putting in any effort. Like they were just out there because they had to be, going through the motions.

What I think is interesting is that the two coaches on the hot seat - Brad Childress and Wade Philips - are polar opposites. Childress is a disciplinarian who has alienated his players, while Philips is a push over who, while they may still like him, his players are unmotivated by him. It's a testament to the need for equanimity and balance in today's NFL. An example of this is Tom Coughlin. He's notoriously difficult and has a tendency to irk his players. This is his natural way, I guess. He's like a drill sergeant. However, he's smart enough to realize that this sort of attitude doesn't work, so he's able to temper himself and find the right balance. At the beginning of the season, people thought he was done and Cowher would be the Giants coach, but Coughlin pulled it together and now the Giants are stomping their opponents.

Right now the Cowboys are the worst team in the NFL, which is really unbelievable. I don't know how you can fire Wade Philips right now, because who replaces him? Do you go with an interim guy? One of the coordinators? As all the talking heads have said, there's the uncertainty of the unresolved collective bargaining agreement hanging over this. If he hires a prestigious coach, which seems unlikely mid-season, who knows when that guy even coaches? I don't even know who's out there. Cowher? Schottenheimer? I'm sure there are coordinators on other teams who are considered qualified candidates. I was thinking that it'd be amusing if Jerry Jones fired Wade Philips and then tried to coach the team himself. I don't really know what else you do. Honestly, I think you fire Philips, install Jason Garret as the interim coach and if he can't pull anything out of this team, fire him and blow everything up. Start all over.

This team is the worst in football right now.

So I am a fan of the Cowboys, but how bad are they? What will it take to turn this team around? Not this season, but for any hope of sustainable improvement with a plan for the future. My thoughts are this, without sounding mean, Romo getting hurt is the best thing for the team. He is not the guy. He's damn sure no Troy Aikman, or even a Quincy Carter. This should force us to find an interim, cuz the backup is 38 for goodness sake.

At every level this team is a nightmare. Poor coach, lousy GM, Lousy owner (oh wait, they are the same person), not deep at all, I wish Jerry Jones would just swallow his pride, and beg Jimmy to come back, and get the hell out of the day to day for the team. He can do his pizza and wing commercials, and write checks. Leave the management of the team to more competent people.

No sympathy from Saints Country, unless you likewise go 20 years without a winning season. :lol:

I'm a Giants fan and am usually happy when the Cowboys lose. I'm hoping they'll lose one more next week at the Meadowlands. However, that's too good a team to be 1-7. A change was necessary and should give them the turnaround they need.(not right away, please) There are some great coaches roaming free out there and Jerry has the cash to get a good one. Now if he would get a good general manager and leave the guy alone........

I'm very much a non-Cowboys fan - I've been known to answer the "Who's your favorite NFL team?" question with the response "Who is Dallas playing this week?"

But, even as biased as I may be in my preference, I try to be balanced and unbiased in my judgement, and there is no way, barring injuries, that any Cowboys team the last 20 years should have more than 1 or 2 losses, based on the talent they get every year. While I do laugh at how terribly they're playing this year (not how terrible they are, again most teams would love to have half the talented players they're spoiled with), it is almost sad.

I would agree that Jerry Jones is the biggest problem with them; he is the biggest reason I'm not a Cowboys fan.

They're going to have to rebuild from the ground up to get back to where they're "supposed" to be....of course, I'm in no hurry to see it happen :biggrin1:

I'm a long-time Cowboy fan living in Giants territory. My take on this is that I agree the coaching staff has to take the blame, but for things to get this bad with the Cowboys, the players need to man up. Everybody talks about all the talent on the Cowboys, but those guys are not playing up to their talent level. The secondary is suspect, OL is patchwork/injured, the RB trio has done nothing, and the defence can't force turnovers. Only question remaining now is how high of a top-10 pick they stoop to.

I'll tell you what my take on it is. The Cowboys got lucky with the Herschel Walker trade and everything came together, and Jerry Jones has thought ever since that he can wave the magic wand and order up a Super Bowl with a coaching change. I became convinced of that because of Jimmy Johnson. He did a fine job coaching Oklahoma State, but didn't become reknowned until he got the Miami job. Then he goes to the Cowboys and wins the Super Bowl after the Walker trade. Then he goes to the Dolphins and becomes human again.

Who was it who said that it's better to be lucky than good?

As a Packers fan I will never get tired of watching the Cowboys come to Lambeau and get smoked.

By the way, Jerry Jones is not even close to a bad owner. This guy has done far more good for the Cowboys and the NFL than bad. He just needs to get out of his own way.

Sorry, Jones is the problem. Who fires a coach that wins Back to Back Superbowls? Who hires a corner (Neon Deion) tht blows our salary cap and then plays one third of three seasons. The list of stupid stuff jerry does just goes on and on...

As a Packers fan, I can see how you would think he is the best thing since sliced bread though...

Lastly back to Jerry Jones. Jerry's expertise is as GM. His sons manage the business side of things, but hes an excellent GM. He has brought in a few guys like Jimmy and Bill who were also great talent guys as well as football masters. These guys very rarely made a mistake managing a game. Can you say that about Wade? Jerry is a typical alpha leather boot cowboy. He's in charge and everyone is gonna know it. But he was a good enough GM to know that guys like Jimmy and Bill who are control guys and know their profession will lead to success. Jerry made a bad call on Wade and needs to own up. He should have cut wade in his second year when he inherited a great team and did nothing with it. If your in charge, then your to blame here. This is your bed, lay in it. I don't like Jerry, never have. He leads to dramatic a football life for me. I prefer the men of old, strong, quiet, and feared. However, I'm sure some of my dislike is because I'm a Giants fan and Jerry is great at managing salary.

Fixed that for ya!!

I'll tell you what my take on it is. The Cowboys got lucky with the Herschel Walker trade and everything came together, and Jerry Jones has thought ever since that he can wave the magic wand and order up a Super Bowl with a coaching change. I became convinced of that because of Jimmy Johnson. He did a fine job coaching Oklahoma State, but didn't become reknowned until he got the Miami job. Then he goes to the Cowboys and wins the Super Bowl after the Walker trade. Then he goes to the Dolphins and becomes human again.

Who was it who said that it's better to be lucky than good?

Really? I think there was a little more than luck involved in that run. Where Jimmy Johnson excelled was maintaining discipline, and getting players to give their best. That is what great coaches do. To call it "luck" is a little shortsighted. The reality is this: Jerry Jones was a new owner, and did a great job with the trade. He did not have an ego telling him at that time it was all him, and no one else helped out. The second super bowl was his downfall. He is an egotistical jack-***. I mean look at his pick at QB. Romo sucks. He was Jerry's boy.

Jerry Jones kept on talking about how the culture of the team needs to change during the press conference in which he announced that he fired Wade Phillips. Yes, I agree wholeheartedly. The culture of the football team needs to change. But again, this is The Dallas Cowboys. The most glamorous team in football. They are tainted with the reputation of being full of over-paid underachievers, who are more concerned with the limelight than anything else.

Installing Jon Arbuckle, I mean, Jason Garrett, as the interim head coach (with a high probability of being the full-time head coach) doesn't fix anything. Yes, firing Wade was a good first step. But that should've happened after week 4. Hell, it should've happened 2 years ago. But I digress... Until Jerry Jones can relinquish his title of GM, step away from the football aspect of running the team and install a football-forward thinking man as GM we will not see a deep rooted change in culture. But this is a lot to ask. That's like asking an old king to surrender half of his kingdom. These old kings love their power. It's all they have left.

Last edited:
Jerry Jones kept on talking about how the culture of the team needs to change during the press conference in which he announced that he fired Wade Phillips. Yes, I agree wholeheartedly. The culture of the football team needs to change. But again, this is The Dallas Cowboys. The most glamorous team in football. They are tainted with the reputation of being full of over-paid underachievers, who are more concerned with the limelight than anything else.

Installing Jon Arbuckle, I mean, Jason Garrett, as the interim head coach (with a high probability of being the full-time head coach) doesn't fix anything. Yes, firing Wade was a good first step. But that should've happened after week 4. Hell, it should've happened 2 years ago. But I digress... Until Jerry Jones can relinquish his title of GM, step away from the football aspect of running the team and install a football-forward thinking man as GM we will not see a deep rooted change in culture. But this is a lot to ask. That's like asking an old king to surrender half of his kingdom. These old kings love their power. It's all they have left.

I would agree with that statement post Deion Sanders, but would be hard pressed to agree that the teams entire existence from inception could be characterized in this manner. The triplets were better described as overachievers. The individuals without a team mentality is a relatively new phenom. The general consensus agrees with you about Jerry though. This has been a long slow bleed, and I fear it will continue. His comment about not having enough fingers to point to what is wrong with the team is telling. All he needs is one finger, and the only place he needs to point it is in the mirror.

I believe Demarcus Ware was quoted as saying "we(the entire cowboys team) got our coach fired" and he was absolutely right.

Less then a week later, with the exact same coaching staff in place minus Phillips, somehow the cowboys are changing culture and all of a sudden know what they are playing for? There is not one change in the offense. Literally. But now they will be high powered? I think that locker room is full of guys who want to get fired up, cheer mightily about winning games for pride and respect. On the field, they are broken men who wish the games were not televised.

I call BS. Cowboys will be lucky to win 2 more games this year.

I predict another "40 burger" and Irvin is gonna talk a big fat heaping pile of dodo on Sunday night after the game.

They may be bad, but they're clearly much better than the Giants. The only good part of the game today was when the power at the Meadowland went out and FOX went to a different game.

Top Bottom