What's new

How Bad Are The Cowboys?

So I am a fan of the Cowboys, but how bad are they? What will it take to turn this team around? Not this season, but for any hope of sustainable improvement with a plan for the future. My thoughts are this, without sounding mean, Romo getting hurt is the best thing for the team. He is not the guy. He's damn sure no Troy Aikman, or even a Quincy Carter. This should force us to find an interim, cuz the backup is 38 for goodness sake.

At every level this team is a nightmare. Poor coach, lousy GM, Lousy owner (oh wait, they are the same person), not deep at all, I wish Jerry Jones would just swallow his pride, and beg Jimmy to come back, and get the hell out of the day to day for the team. He can do his pizza and wing commercials, and write checks. Leave the management of the team to more competent people.

Totally Frustrating isn't it? I too feel your pain!

Go Rangers!! At least one Texas team is performing at Championship level.

Being a Lions fan I have no sympathy for you..:tongue_sm. I do agree that though that JJ needs to take a step back and get a good GM in there if he wants to make things happen ( I hear Parcells may be available ).

I'm a positive person...

Most of the ESPN commentators last night picked the Cowboys to win the game. Obviously the Cowboys have done a lot of things correctly. And, with a few bounces and luck (Tashard not fumbling, for example) our record would be much better and we wouldn't be wringing our hands.

I'm a negative person...

I think everything above is largely true. We don't have heart, don't seem well coached, and so on.

Which probably means...

I am a psychophrenic person! :)

I want to gloat. I want to enumerate every negative detail of the Cowboys organization. When done with that I want to talk so much smack that you'd have to speak Vulcan to understand what I'm saying. But...

I hate it when cowboys fans do that to me on the Giant's nfl boards so I'll mind my P's and Q 's.

I will say this though.

Dallas has potentially a player who can surpass Jerry Rice. I know, I know, it's early, he's only a rookie. I said it before the draft and I'm saying it know. Bryant is a beast. No two ways about it.

Your owner is as much to blame for the state of affairs as is Wade Phillips.

You have a kicker that should be a linebacker!

The Giant's are undefeated in the new Texas stadium, They also have the win in the first game ever played in the new Texas stadium. The NFL gave Dallas the opportunity to repay the favor to the giants at the request of Jerry Jones no doubt, but they were unsuccessful as the Giants got the first win in the New Meadowlands stadium.

Sorry had to get that dig in there :p

I want to gloat. I want to enumerate every negative detail of the Cowboys organization. When done with that I want to talk so much smack that you'd have to speak Vulcan to understand what I'm saying. But...

I hate it when cowboys fans do that to me on the Giant's nfl boards so I'll mind my P's and Q 's.

I will say this though.

Dallas has potentially a player who can surpass Jerry Rice. I know, I know, it's early, he's only a rookie. I said it before the draft and I'm saying it know. Bryant is a beast. No two ways about it.

Your owner is as much to blame for the state of affairs as is Wade Phillips.

You have a kicker that should be a linebacker!

The Giant's are undefeated in the new Texas stadium, They also have the win in the first game ever played in the new Texas stadium. The NFL gave Dallas the opportunity to repay the favor to the giants at the request of Jerry Jones no doubt, but they were unsuccessful as the Giants got the first win in the New Meadowlands stadium.

Sorry had to get that dig in there :p

So true.

Disclosure: I am a Giants' fan. However, the Cowboys should have won the game with the those turnovers. What shocked me was that when Romo went out, the offensive line went on vacation. They gave Mr. Backup no protection at all.

I am a Redskins fan and I will give you an objective assessment.

1. Wade Phillips and Jason Garrett need to go. Both of them. Actually, I'd go ahead and dump the defensive coordinator, as well. They got lit up by the Giants.

2. I think Tony Romo needs to go. Proponents always cite his gaudy statistics, but HOLY CRAP, the guy has been playing with some of the best receivers in the league for his entire career. When he first started he had Terrell Owens, one of the best receivers in NFL history; Jason Witten, one of the best tight ends in the league; and I think he had Terry Glenn or Joey Galloway, both of whom are good. Now he's playing with Witten; Miles Austin, one of the best receivers in the league; Roy Williams, who SHOULD be one of the best receivers in the league; and Dez Bryant who is a rookie phenom. Of course he's going to put up great numbers. The thing is, he finds ways to lose games, whether it's an INT or a botched hold.

3. I think they need to settle on a running back. This so called three headed monster is pretty pathetic. They haven't had a good RB since Emmit left town. Julius Jones was supposed to be the heir and they dumped him for Marion Barber, whom they've dumped for Felix Jones.

I can't agree that Jerry Jones is a bad owner, or GM. The Cowboys team is loaded with talent both drafted (Witten, Bryant, Demarcus Ware) and acquired from other teams (Williams, Keith Brooking). The problem is Jones inability to coexist with a strong minded coach, which is why Jiggly Puff currently occupies the position. Losing Bill Parcells was a huge mistake.

I think the Cowboys need to completely overhaul the coaching staff and hire a coach who has some gumption. Someone with a history of success. Bill Cowher comes to mind. Give someone like that a chance with this existing team (including Romo) and his adjustments and I think the Cowboys will be a great team.

Bill Cowher comes to mind. Give someone like that a chance with this existing team (including Romo) and his adjustments and I think the Cowboys will be a great team.

Bill Cowher could get these underachievers to another level, but I've read recently that he would have a big problem coaching for an owner like Jerry who is WAY too hands-on. Reminds me of the George Steinbrenner Yankees when George made them sign players like Sheffield who was a hitter but NOT a good character guy. They finally got it together when Cashman only agreed to re-up his contract if George agreed to be a (nearly) hands-off owner. Jerry is the closest thing to Steinbrenner in football,but he needs to let the football people manage the team.

Disclosure: I am a Giants' fan. However, the Cowboys should have won the game with the those turnovers. What shocked me was that when Romo went out, the offensive line went on vacation. They gave Mr. Backup no protection at all.

I'm a Giants' fan, too. I think Steve Young summed it up best in his post-game analysis. When Romo went down, the Cowboys still had a commanding lead. It wasn't their offense but their defense that gave up and quit. From my perspective, JJ had nothing to do with that. Phillips prides himself on being a defensive wizard, and it was the defense that failed the team.

Now, if you want to trade Bryant to the Giants so the Cowboys can make a fresh start, I'm sure that could be arranged.

I'm a Giants' fan, too. I think Steve Young summed it up best in his post-game analysis. When Romo went down, the Cowboys still had a commanding lead. It wasn't their offense but their defense that gave up and quit. From my perspective, JJ had nothing to do with that. Phillips prides himself on being a defensive wizard, and it was the defense that failed the team.

Now, if you want to trade Bryant to the Giants so the Cowboys can make a fresh start, I'm sure that could be arranged.

This is cryptic. If you check the stats while romo was in the game, they were not productive. Sure they scored 13 pts, but its off 3 turn overs, 2 of which were inside the NY Football Giants rec zone.

There offense was going no where with or without Romo. Dez Bryant was the ONLY thing worth mentioning on their entire team, both before and after Romo got punted from the game. Even though the giants have one of the top recieving cores in the league, though they may not be household names yet, I'd still trade a first round pick Plus players/money for Bryant.

On a side note, I think that makes 5 QB's in 7 games that the giants sent home packing with clean legal hits.

Bill Cowher could get these underachievers to another level, but I've read recently that he would have a big problem coaching for an owner like Jerry who is WAY too hands-on. Reminds me of the George Steinbrenner Yankees when George made them sign players like Sheffield who was a hitter but NOT a good character guy. They finally got it together when Cashman only agreed to re-up his contract if George agreed to be a (nearly) hands-off owner. Jerry is the closest thing to Steinbrenner in football,but he needs to let the football people manage the team.

Totally true and that's the point: if the Cowboys are to succeed, Jerry Jones needs to chill out and let the coach coach. And it needs to be a good coach.

If you want an example of how much a coach matters in professional football, look at the Redskins in contrast to the Cowboys. The Cowboys are probably the most talented team in the league on paper. They're strong at pretty much every position, with the exception, possibly, of safety. They have the most talented group of receivers in the league. They have three good running backs. They have a talented quarterback. They have one of the best pass rushers in the NFL in Demarcus Ware. The Redskins? They have McNabb. The running back is a former practice squad guy. The receivers are tiny and the number one, Santana Moss would be a number two or three on most other teams. They second receiver is an unknown guy from the Intense Football League. The O-Line is porous. The defense, prior to the Bears game, was giving up 420 yards a game. The second worst amount in 32 years. But the Redskins beat the Cowboys, are 4-3 and find a way to win games, even though they've yet to dominate anyone. It starts with Shanahan who knows what he's doing. He doesn't throw a screen pass at the end of the half when his team is leading.

There's no reason the Cowboys should be this bad. Is this was the post Triplets Cowboys with Quincy Carter, it would be acceptable. But this team is way too talented to suck like this. And they do suck, badly, no matter what Wade Philips or Jerry Jones say about the team "playing better than their record suggests." It starts with Philips who is in over his head and was hired because he's a diffident push over who defers to Jerry Jones, in sharp contrast to his predecessor Bill Parcells. He's too nice, just like Norv Turner in San Diego.

What will it take to turn this team around? Not this season, but for any hope of sustainable improvement with a plan for the future.

I think the only solution is a large car accident that includes Jerry Jones. I live in Dallas, but am a Denver Broncos fan. My heart breaks for my friends who I have to hug and console year after year. I do know from personal experience that Jerry Jones is one of the biggest jerks out there.

Mike

I am a Redskins fan and I will give you an objective assessment.

1. Wade Phillips and Jason Garrett need to go. Both of them. Actually, I'd go ahead and dump the defensive coordinator, as well. They got lit up by the Giants.

2. I think Tony Romo needs to go. Proponents always cite his gaudy statistics, but HOLY CRAP, the guy has been playing with some of the best receivers in the league for his entire career. When he first started he had Terrell Owens, one of the best receivers in NFL history; Jason Witten, one of the best tight ends in the league; and I think he had Terry Glenn or Joey Galloway, both of whom are good. Now he's playing with Witten; Miles Austin, one of the best receivers in the league; Roy Williams, who SHOULD be one of the best receivers in the league; and Dez Bryant who is a rookie phenom. Of course he's going to put up great numbers. The thing is, he finds ways to lose games, whether it's an INT or a botched hold.

3. I think they need to settle on a running back. This so called three headed monster is pretty pathetic. They haven't had a good RB since Emmit left town. Julius Jones was supposed to be the heir and they dumped him for Marion Barber, whom they've dumped for Felix Jones.

I can't agree that Jerry Jones is a bad owner, or GM. The Cowboys team is loaded with talent both drafted (Witten, Bryant, Demarcus Ware) and acquired from other teams (Williams, Keith Brooking). The problem is Jones inability to coexist with a strong minded coach, which is why Jiggly Puff currently occupies the position. Losing Bill Parcells was a huge mistake.

I think the Cowboys need to completely overhaul the coaching staff and hire a coach who has some gumption. Someone with a history of success. Bill Cowher comes to mind. Give someone like that a chance with this existing team (including Romo) and his adjustments and I think the Cowboys will be a great team.

As a Cowboys fan, I could have not diagnosed this disaster any better. Well said, my good man!

Jason Garrett is absolutely awful. Jerry Jones wanted to select Mendenhall in the 2008 entry draft, but Garrett talked him out of it and pressured him to select Felix The Fumble Cat Jones.

The coaching staff isn't tough enough to handle all the talent (and egos) that the Cowboys have. The Boys need to find someone who isn't afraid to bench a player here or there. Mike Jenkins, although a former Pro-Bowler, has been penalized nth amount of times this season and is still getting starts! We need a disciplinarian in there as a head coach.

Jason Witten is only a shadow of his former self. I would really like to see the Cowboys pick up either a tight end or a defensive lineman in the upcoming draft.

I feel like I'm conducting an autopsy on this team.

My new answer to this question is - terrible. Absolutely terrible. Shockingly terrible. 4 touchdowns and a nearly flawless rating for David Gerrard. 135 yards for Jones-Drew. Forget about the absence of Romo and Kitna stinking it up, the Cowboys suck on defense. This is a bad team, but also a deflated one. They've given up. I would be surprised if they won three more games this year.

Last edited:
Top Bottom