What's new

How are you supposed to tell razors apart? Where are the tier lists?

Lots of great answers, and I struggled with this same issue... so I started reviewing the "top" or favorite razor post threads and compiling the data... Razorock Game Changer ranks among the most popular. Gillette Tech does too...

Lots of great answers, and I struggled with this same issue... so I started reviewing the "top" or favorite razor post threads and compiling the data... Razorock Game Changer ranks among the most popular. Gillette Tech does too...

Two of my favorites, along with the Feather ASD2.

To the OP:

To me, they are all very similar. You should be able to get a good shave from any properly designed razor that is not damaged or defective.*

Prices increase with material, workmanship, and brand, like most tools (cars, watches, knives, guns, flashlights, etc, etc, etc...)

The question you need to answer is:

What is it worth to YOU?

*Edit to add: There are differences in aggression, which may require a learning curve, after which the user may conclude that a razor does not suit them. Of course the only way to find out how hard you want to work is to try some different razors.

Last edited:

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
There is no definitive guide. Hardware is subjective. Preferences change over time. My first stainless steel razor was a RazoRock Mamba 70. But I found, over time, that it was too mild and I began to purchase razors that upped the efficiency and aggressiveness. It's a journey, not a one-shot purchase. Enjoy the ride!

Hi,

The only Tier I ever saw was from Gillette long ago.

They had A Razor. That was it. We now call it the Old Type. Some variations of them, but essentially the same shave.

Then, they made a better one. Called it the New Improved. See? KCG *told* you it was on a higher tier! ;)

But, wait! Then they came out with the New. Newer than the New Improved, so now that's better. First a shorter comb, then a longer one.....

No. Not done yet! The Aristocrat! The first twist-to-open.

I have them all up to this point. The best shaver of the bunch is.....the original one. The Old Type. However, it does tend to bite. Takes some time to learn it. And that's where the improvements came in. Each one does well, actually, but are less likely to bite in turn.

But, Gillette wasn't alone here. There were plenty of other razor makers and they all kept coming out with New and Improved models as time marched on.

One can easily go nuts trying them all to find the one that's best for their face....

Stan

Great question!

For me there are only two razor tiers: keeper or PIF!! KISS!!:popc::popc::popc:

Price has little to do with this classification. My ’daily driver’ is a Wolfman while my ‘travel razor’ is a Lord.

My S-tier is the Timeless Slim OC, and it will kill many people trying it.
That's why it is so hard to make S-lists.

My selection of razors is based on buying and trying them all. Unlike many I don't sell excess razors, I keep them. That's unfortunately also true for flashlights, knives, trailrunning shoes and mountaineering boots.

I'm way too deep into the flashlight collection! Knives too, mainly custom or near customs.

Razors, two Gillettes, a handful of Edwin Jagger, a pair of Muhle, and a pair of Fatips. All of them have different features that appeal to me. Some days, I want super aggressive, some days I am best off with a mild one. These days I'm trying to find a sweet spot in the middle with the Edwin Jagger 3one 6 and Muhle Rocca.

Flashlights for me are all over the place. Do I want an SST-20 Deep Red for camping or to avoid insects? Do I need to find a stray cow and need a somewhat floody throwy option? The LEP is fun but, what in the world will I do with it once playtime is over? Or do I want my 1/2 mile/1 km thrower to find someone or something wandering around or lost?

Knives, whether field-oriented or Japanese kitchen knives, I'm in pretty deep there too!

As a newcomer to razors, but not collection hobbies, the information available isn't overwhelming so much as incomplete. Everything seems to talk about individual razors in a vacuum. Few comparisons to other razors. Subjective terms and opinions being given with not even abstract ratings, much less concrete data. Even the marketing materials don't seem to give much more than a few sentences that offer little specific to the model.
First, each of us has different skin, whiskers, and facial features which means what is awesome for me may not be so for someone else.

A new user like yourself is best off starting with something mild and average to learn their face "map" and what works well for them and what doesn't. Even different shave soaps, cremes, or gels can make a razor that works for one terrible for someone else. Same for blades with some being milder than others and some being so sharp and hard to use that I won't buy them anymore.

With an Edwin Jagger 89 available on Amazon for $25, that is a super easy place to start. Huge numbers of people are very happy with the EJ89 or its Muhle R89 twin. I used an EJ89 for many years as my main razor.

Today, I'm looking for something a bit more aggressive because my whiskers seem to have gotten tougher over the years so, I benefit from something a bit more aggressive. After a long camping weekend with a heavy growth of tough whiskers, my super-aggressive Muhle R41 works exceptionally well.

While I could learn to daily shave with my Muhle R41, why would I do that when a less aggressive razor works so well for me? My threshold is, with two passes of my razor, do I get a DFS or BBS shave? If I need three or more passes, I have the wrong razor in my hand!

Lastly, there is the artistry and pride of ownership for some people and with some razors.

I'm not much into gold and such lavishness but, stainless steel to me is super nice. I like a heavier razor as well so, stainless steel helps there too!

The Lambda Athena in Marine Brass is the one I'm looking at now because it looks so nice, has good shave reports, and it is made from MARINE BRASS!

I suppose it’s like anything else. “It depends.” “You can’t define it, but you know it when you see it.” Finally, “trial and error.”

Top Bottom