What's new

How are you guys making them last?

Been at this DE shaving for a couple months now, and I have read quite a bit on different blades through other forums...but I have one question for many of you. How do you possibly make blades last for more than one or two shaves?? I have seen people say they get 5 or more shaves out of a blade, some have said 3, many say two. I get one tremendous BBS shave out of one blade and then if I go to use it again all it is good for is a WTG pass...if I attempt XTG or AGT after that, it gets ugly. I have used Derby, Gillette 7 o'clock blacks, Feathers, Astra SP, Gillette blue silver, Personna reds, Lord platinum and cheap no name store brand blades...and it is universal. One shave and toss or else pay. How are you guys swinging the multiple shaves...are you not going for BBS everytime? Is that the key? I appreciate any input, because while I have compiled a little variety pack of blades, I am looking to buy in bulk soon and if I am chucking them after one use anyways it will play a role in the decision making. Thanks guys.

I don't try anymore! I haven't found one yet that works that well for more than 3 shaves, so I just avoid the problem. Use twice and toss it. If I'm using one of my prized vintage Spoilers, I'll go three shaves because they stay sharp all the way through the third no problem, but other than that, twice is always it. SEs last 3 or 4 shaves, so you might try that route if your curious. SE shaving is really different as far as technique goes, but you might give that a shot if you're curious. There are a lot of older SEs out there, so you wouldn't have to spend a lot to try one. Different variations of the GEM 1912 are my favorite.

I generally get 4 shaves from a blade, and I always try for a BBS shave. This is probably just another example of YMMV.

Typically I get:

7 +/- shaves out of a DE blade.

14 +/- shaves out of a SE blade.

As many as 25 shaves out of a shavette blade in a Cobra.

I always remove the blade after shaving, pat it dry on a folded towel, and store it on empty unfolded DE blade wrappers marked 1 though 6 for the number of shaves on the blade sitting on that numbered paper. The SE bades make it through the wrappers twice the DE only once.

I will admit that some blades don't make it through even once and I have been known to remove a new blade after a couple of strokes and put it aside for another try in a different razor.

proxy.php

My guess is your beard or style limits you to a one and out shave. You say Derbys work for you- so get 400 Derbys on Amazon for about $26 and it still only cost you about $2 a month for blades. 400 Astras would be aboyt $10 more- still a bargain.

I think its which blade works for a given individual. I have been keeping track of shave quality and performance, so far for me with my new EJ the IP Red has given me the best performance with 5 shaves, Crystal, 2 shaves is it, I know its a popular blade but I didnt like them in my vintage gillettes or my new razor. Personna Med, I got my third today and going for 4 tomorrow. Sometimes I get a wild card thrown in like the time I got 8 shaves from a Wilkie but usually 4 from them. Im starting to notice a cream vs soap pattern also as well as brands of soaps and creams but thats another study. Lots more blades to try but thats what we are here for :blink:

Since I shave my head and face, I count each shave as 2.... I have found the Rapira's to work best for me and they get tossed after each shave.

Tom

I am 75 years old and have an average beard.

My DE blades always last 7 days. My SE blades last 5 days, and my Injector SE blades last 7 days.

I wash my face twice in soapy water. I lather up and wait 2 minutes. I re-lather and then shave a 3 pass/4 pass shave.

When done, I blot dry the razor and I shake the water out of the razor, blow through it with my breath to further reduce moisture, and then I store the razor and blade in the bedroom, away from moisture. I do not loosen the blade.

Works for me.

I just go with the feel. If the blade feels not fine anymore, I toss it, regardless of brand or how many shaves I got out of it. But I keep track of the performance of blades. Minimum was once, maximum was 6 shaves. Most are 2 to 5, depending on how they perform.

At the onset, let me say that my goal is to have close, enjoyable shaves. Period. If a blade doesn't feel good, I have no trouble changing mid shave. I have a medium beard (however that is actually defined) and would often get three great shaves from a blade and then it was gone. I used Gillette Bleue Extras for several years and found I was able to easily get double that. I started to experiment with a wide variety of blades and found that some blades yielded better results than others, but again, my goal was great shaves, not longevity. I have found that the Gillette 7 O'clock series has given me outstanding results both in great shaves and longevity. I do not change blades or razors with each shave but rather stay with the combination I have selected for the life of the blade. I like to keep it simple. I am surprised that the OP only gets one or two shaves out of the Gillette 7 O'clock Blacks. My experience has been quite different but that is where the ever present YMMV comes in I suppose.

Regards,

Doug

OldSaw

The wife's investment
For years I only used a blade for 2 shaves and stocked up on Red IP's when I got them for $10 per hundred shipped.

Now days I routinely go a week on a single Feather. BBS is not a problem at all. It takes a little more touch up toward the end, but it does not cause damage like some blades after that many shaves.

I think prep is the key, regardless of which blade you settle on. If I take a shortcut on prep, I can tell that that blade has been compromised the rest of the week. My prep is fairly simple, very similar to santamariasteve, wash, lather, let sit, re-lather if necessary, shave. On weekdays I sometimes only do two passes, XTG and ATG/XTG, which is nearly BBS but faster.

I pretty much use a blade for three shaves than replace them. I'm sure some could go further but I like to experiment and look forward to my next combination.

I strive for the BBS shave every time (My personal Mileage always varies).

Recently I started using a plastic (snap lid) bowl with about 2 inches of 90% alcohol in it.

After shaving and thoroughly rinsing the razor, I swish the razor and let it set in the alcohol while I clean up the rest of my shave gear. Then I put the razor away and seal the lid on the alcohol for the next time.

I have an impression that this give me at least one extra shave.

I always go by the feel because I've found quality can vary a lot between blades. (With the exception of maybe Feathers) There were quite a few times where one blade in a pack would only give me 1 or 2 shaves and the next blade in the pack lasted me 6 or 7 shaves.

Basically if it's uncomfortable and tugging, I know I need a new blade. The more you shave the more you learn to feel when your blade is finished.

Last edited:
How do you possibly make blades last for more than one or two shaves??

Beats me. 2 & out is my rule. 3 seems to be hit or miss and my motto is "better to toss a blade 1 shave too early than 1 shave too late". After going 2 & out for a couple of years, I recently purchased some 7 O'Clock Blue and have been going 3 shaves with good results. If that continues I will push them up to 4 and see how they do.

I have had similar results with all of the blades I have tried. I can usually get 3 out of all blades with the exception of a Merkur. Those are a one and done for me. Derby's, Feather, and Personna Reds have all worked particularly well for me. I too have only been at this for a short while and read a lot concerned with matching the blade to the razor. There is apparently a magic combination that, once you find it, will become clearly evident to you in terms of comfort. I would imagine that would increase the longevity of your blades too. I usually go no more than 3 shaves due to the increased possibility of developing folliculitis. Nasty stuff.

Turtle has the right idea by keeping the blades dry after each use. Keeping them dry prevents microscopic erosion & rust on the edge, which gradually reduces sharpness. That factory new edge becomes less straight and more jagged the more it is being used. With a straight razor, a strop is used before & after each shave to maintain it's sharpness. I've stropped blades, and I do get more shaves per blade when doing so.

I agree that individual blade quality can vary.

I also think that some are more picky about feel than others. I have a heavy beard but don't mind most blades for 6 or 7 shaves.

Once got 14 shaves out of a Feather blade in a Tech when going for a record. After about 10 shaves it remained pretty much the same...pulling. I got bored after 14.

Top Bottom