What's new

how are synthetic brushes?

I had (and traded) a RV with Muhle V2 knot recently. It was super soft and still had plenty of backbone. It lathered well with both soaps and creams, and of course had the quick drying benefits of synthetic.

On the minus side--and the reason I no longer own it--it didn't seem to absorb water and lather nearly as well as my badgers. I'd sometimes get watery lather run onto my hands which I never had with a non-synthetic. Of course it may have been that I just needed to adjust my lathering technique, but I love my badgers and think I'll stick with them.

Just my experience mind you, and others really love the synthetic.

In response to the question you posed, they don't. Much like a boar doesn't compare to a good badger, the same goes for synthetic, horse, mixed knots and whatever else you want to try and lather with. The fact is that all fibers/bristles have their own unique characteristics and will perform differently based on such. I have tried Gen 1,3 and 4 synthetic brushes and they have come a long way in softness, water retention and resiliency. However, they have a long way to go before I consider them a good replacement for my favorite badger brushes.

I beg to differ. I would say much like a good boar doesn't compare to a good badger. I no longer own a badger brush. I always reached for my Semogue Boars and may never own a badger again. With that said, I will have my first foray into the synthetic market tomorrow with a new Muhle Black Fiber. If I enjoy it, I will go for one of the higher end synthetics.

I beg to differ. I would say much like a good boar doesn't compare to a good badger. I no longer own a badger brush. I always reached for my Semogue Boars and may never own a badger again. With that said, I will have my first foray into the synthetic market tomorrow with a new Muhle Black Fiber. If I enjoy it, I will go for one of the higher end synthetics.

Different words same result, you don't care for badger because you prefer the way boar performs for you and I don't care for synthetic.

Actually, I do enjoy an old butterscotch and black nylon brush on occasion. It isn't soft at the tips like modern synthetic brushes, but the knot performs very similar to a good boar or horse hair brush. Not all nylons work as good as this but they're worth a try for 5 bucks when you run across one.

yeah, i just got my muhle synthetic, and it does feel very different. maybe it will break in better, but the lather it made was better than any lather I've experienced.

Synthetics, for me, are the way to go. I agree with blzrfn that each bristle type has its own characteristics, so comparing boar, badger and synthetic is a little bit apples to oranges. But my favorite brush, and the only one I'd need, is my Muhle silvertip fibre. And I'm not even sure whether it's v1 or v2. It just lathers like a monster and requires nothing more than a rinse when I'm done. I also like my somewhat softer muhle black fibre. Event though it was less expensive, I don't think it's any less a brush. Softer and a bit floppier than the STF.

They are different. They hold less water/lather and are kind of springy, but they also have more backbone and softer tips than natural hairs.

IMO, the only ones worth trying are the Muhle brushes. They are just better in every respect than the other synthetics.

Certainly worth a try and I can see why some people love them and some people hate them. There are days that a synthetic will whip up a ton of lather in no time for me, and there are days that I miss how a badger will soak up a ton of lather and feel like a cloud.

... IMO, the only ones worth trying are the Muhle brushes. They are just better in every respect than the other synthetics...

I respectfully disagree, I've used; Current Gen. Muhle STF2 & Black Fibre, Current Gen. Omega 46186 & 343178, a Current Gen. Pur-Tech & a Current Gen. TGN Synthetic. After a month long use of each brush, and they all had their pluses and minuses, my Synthetics of choice were the Pur-Tech & TGN.

The WD synthetic brush is the best buy for the money JMO, I gave mine to mine to my son but kept the Muhle V2 in 23mm knot they are both great brushes. If you can afford it the Muhle is the best IMO.

I just bought it last week, don't know for sure but it's about dead even with the Pur-Tech I bought last month. The TGN is the 23 mm knot, it has a glue bump which reduces the lof ~10-12mm and they call it a three-band; http://thegoldennib.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9_89&products_id=760

Thanks for this! I am myself gravitating more and more towards the Pur Techs, glue bump and all. My latest Pur Tech (26 mm) does NOT have the glue bump and I kinda miss it... It does affect the backbone to the stiffer!

Ahhh... A synthetic brush is how I started 27 years ago. Not a bad option at all. In all honesty, I've been eyeballing the Simpson Chubby 2 Synthetic (google it), which is not yet on the market and is being tested as we speak. The testers are giving it rave reviews so far. If the price point is not insane, I might be adding another brush to my arsenal as soon as it hits the shelves.

Today, I tried my new brush with the Whipped Dog Synthetic (24mmx58mm) on Stirling Ozark Mountain. I just loaded it for about a minute and had enough loaded on the brush for a great 3-pass shave. It has also done very well with La Toja Cream, Tabac, and LA Shaving Soap this week.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Synthetics, for me, are the way to go. I agree with blzrfn that each bristle type has its own characteristics, so comparing boar, badger and synthetic is a little bit apples to oranges. But my favorite brush, and the only one I'd need, is my Muhle silvertip fibre. And I'm not even sure whether it's v1 or v2. It just lathers like a monster and requires nothing more than a rinse when I'm done. I also like my somewhat softer muhle black fibre. Event though it was less expensive, I don't think it's any less a brush. Softer and a bit floppier than the STF.

ive be noticed the "floppiness factor" as well with the black fibre. Both are great, I just use the black if I'm in "a painting mood". :001_rolle

The TGN knots were close enough to Gen 4 to not notice a big difference but the difference between TGN and Muhle is the glue bump. I don't like them so I didn't bond with the TGN.

Top Bottom