What's new

How are DE blade manufacturers surviving?

I don't know. I would think that manufacturing DE blades depends on a lot more heavy, expensive machinery than soap manufacruring. It may not be profitable to keep such machinery operating for a niche market only.

I'm not pessimistic though, I think that DE blades will remain popular enough for the foreseeable future.

Good point. The raw materials are also cheaper for soap. The point is, uh... stop poking holes in my example! :tongue:

DE manufacturing will slow down greatly when cartridges are made available for equal or lower pricing throughout the rest of the world where DE reigns supreme champ. Eventually, DE will become a niche market in the rest of the world, much like it is for us here in North America (or Europe). That's when real money will be made on DE products for those who prefer it just like if you were to go look for some antiquated tech. it would cost higher than when it generating peak sales volume.

Not all of the world is made up of the Western world.

People in third world countries cannot afford cartridges, so they probably use DEs or straights. I guess in this case, they're better of than we are...

Pretty soon we will be a third world country and then will have more choices of DE blades to choose from at our local store. There is always something to look forward too. I just hope they will also carry Trumpers soaps.

Pretty soon we will be a third world country and then will have more choices of DE blades to choose from at our local store. There is always something to look forward too. I just hope they will also carry Trumpers soaps.

Does this qualify as a legitimate excuse for stocking up on shaving products? :w00t: I hope it does!

Pretty soon we will be a third world country...

Don't you hate when someone takes your reply before you are done reading the thread? :lol:

But hey, if it also gets rid of all the Walmarts and their ilk, I'm all for it. I really miss the small corner shops and the Ma & Pa stores that used to be around.

Cheers.

As far as I know DE shaving is still the major way of wetshaving worldwide.
Besides all these guys here at B&B who order in bulk probably buy enough even for their great-grandchildren.
Most blade manufacturers make also a lot of other (industrial) blades besides DE-blades.

We do?:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Yes, yes we do! :lol::lol:

I know I do lol. I just hate to find a blade that works well for me and then discover that they are discontinued :frown: I figure it's worth a little stockpiling upfront to avoid the issue. :001_smile

DE manufacturing will slow down greatly when cartridges are made available for equal or lower pricing throughout the rest of the world where DE reigns supreme champ. Eventually, DE will become a niche market in the rest of the world, much like it is for us here in North America (or Europe). That's when real money will be made on DE products for those who prefer it just like if you were to go look for some antiquated tech. it would cost higher than when it generating peak sales volume.

Interesting point. So I wonder how many current DE shavers, would switch back to cartridge shaving, if cartridge shaving was cheaper.

I suppose some would say with their various AD's, cartridge shaving was cheaper.

I might have to break out the M3 tomorrow, just to remember what it was/is like.

Interesting point. So I wonder how many current DE shavers, would switch back to cartridge shaving, if cartridge shaving was cheaper.

I suppose some would say with their various AD's, cartridge shaving was cheaper.

I might have to break out the M3 tomorrow, just to remember what it was/is like.

I wouldnt know how many DE shavers who are "Born Again" DE shavers would switch. Though in India the 2 blade swivel cartridges are becoming very cheap for all time DE shavers to give it a try.

The shave - terrible !!

Most blades are manufactured in Asia and Eastern Europe where DE razors are still used. Additionally, labor costs are more affordable in those areas.

It sucks that the proliferation of multi-blade cartridges may someday impact the availability of quality DE blades :mad5:

Careful.

The straight razor crowd will read all this and come crowding with whispered promises of complete salvation from the blade chase.

I ended cartridge shaving 2 decades ago and will never return; I'll go str8, or end up with a full beard instead of a goatee. Disposables with one (or maybe two) blades I might survive, but 5 blades? NEVER!!!

I wouldnt know how many DE shavers who are "Born Again" DE shavers would switch. Though in India the 2 blade swivel cartridges are becoming very cheap for all time DE shavers to give it a try.

The shave - terrible !!

I bought some Indian 2-blades disposables just because I could get them for 59 (euro) cents per ten. I survived and even the cheapest DE-blades bought in bulk are more expensive, per blade as well as per shave. But the quality/price ratio makes DE-shaving a winner easily !

I've got enough good blades, between Derby, Feather, Israeli Personna, and Gillette Super Bleu(try 'em if you haven't) mass purchases, to last me until I'm old enough to pull off the Billy Gibbons beard. And I've got more on the way.

Stockpiling. :cool:

Where does everyone get these large stockpiles of blades anyway? Do they come primarily from ebay or other websites? I'd like to know so I can start stockpiling too. It sounds kind of, I don't know, necessary. :laugh:

They all survive because of the money that I have spent over the last six months on this crazy hobby.:001_smile

Amen to that!

Also...this is a great thread because I was wondering the same thing...but it is SO true that the Western world is not THE WORLD and as such, DE's will probably be made for awhile.

Where does everyone get these large stockpiles of blades anyway? Do they come primarily from ebay or other websites? I'd like to know so I can start stockpiling too. It sounds kind of, I don't know, necessary. :laugh:

You can buy most of your favorite blades by the hundred from WCS, Classic Shaving, etc. You can probably also contact them for larger quantities.

I buy most of my Derby, Feather, and red pack Personna blades on ebay by the thousand. From some vendors, it just makes sense to buy in large numbers. Like my last BIC purchase, $18/100 or $40/500. I just couldn't pass it up.

Just search "double edge razor blade" on there and I'm sure that you can find your favorite blades in massive numbers.

Top Bottom