What's new

How about a photo of your favorite brush at the moment?

I doubt if many could pick one overall favorite brush, but if not, what is your current favorite?

I'm currently working my way through a puck of DR Harris. I exclusively face lather. I've discovered that boars work particularly well on DR Harris when face lathering, at least for my face and my water.

I have several boars, but this one rules them all when face lathering DR Harris: A dymondwood-handled boar with an Omega knot, from Bob Farvour at Bardstown Custom Shave. Whatever happened to Bob? He made a mean brush. His badgers were good brushes too.

The handle is blue-tinted dymondwood, a resin-impregnated wood product that seems to be used mainly in gunstocks. Bob couldn't remember what Omega model he used as a donor for the knot, but my best guess is something like an Omega 11121, based on the knot's dimensions.

The dymondwood handle is dense, heavy for size, and simple, and it fits my hand perfectly. If I ever buy any more custom brushes, I'd jump on another dymondwood handle in a flash, if anyone else is turning them.

I apologize for the crappy photo. In real life the brush is a beaut.

$brush.jpg

Out of my rotation of.....
Aluminium Handled Chinese Synthetic Silvertip
Black Handled Dark Badger from England
Vie Long 4101 Professional (60% Boar/40% White Horsehair Mix)
Unbranded Wood Handled Chinese Horsehair
$20161030_085213.jpg

My current favourite is the Chinese Horsehair
I snapped it up at auction from ganvillage_green on eBay for only €3,75 with free delivery from China to Spain, although they are only around €5 at full price.
I'd read a lot of positive remarks about Horsehair and bought it just to see what all the fuss was about
It's turned out to be a bit of a diamond in the rough, when I first got it, it was a bit stinky and the bristles were a bit scratchy, but a good wash with baby shampoo soon defunked it and it softened within a couple of weeks.
It exploded with lather every time I used it, so much so that it just blew me away and convinced me that Horsehair was the way forward
Now, about a year down the line, it's still got plenty of backbone, and it's got the floppy characteristics of Horsehair, but it also feels kitten soft when I lather with it - whether in a mug or face lathering, and it's equally good in a circular or painting motion.
It's my brush of choice to test lather unfamiliar soaps with
If the seller had put it up for auction for any less, he may as well have just given it away - For the price it's unbelievably good value for money
It outperforms my other 3 brushes too !!

Here it is in action.....
View attachment 703671 $20160906_090227.jpg $20161017_103355.jpg

My favorite brush is always the one I use now. For this week it happens to be the Geoff Anderson 2 bander in a shavemac one off handle:

View attachment 703682
Shave of the week with shave #58 on a Black Indian 7 o'clock​

While my 3 Thater brushes get the most use overall, my very favorite combination is Harris Almond soap and a T&H 1/2 (Rooney) Silvertip brush. Every time I use them together (like this morning), I wonder why I bother using anything else. I got the brush as T&H was phasing out Rooney-made brushes in early 2013.

$IMG_0407.jpg

$IMG_0142.jpg

This Ever-Ready 200 that I just finished restoring yesterday is my current favorite. I just love the lime green color on it.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
The photo's from when I first got it, but the 2016 Rudy Vey Group Buy with the Shavemac 2 band silvertip is probably my favorite right now.

$2016-04-18 Rudy Vey Group Buy.jpg

Top Bottom