What's new

House smells like Williams Mug Soap

Some people have reactions to Arko. I was fine with it for the first month or so but then started getting irritation and red spots. Now if I use Arko I make sure to use a LOT of pre-shave oil.
I think Arko sucks the oils out of your skin so adding some oil beforehand helps.

Some people have reactions to Arko. I was fine with it for the first month or so but then started getting irritation and red spots. Now if I use Arko I make sure to use a LOT of pre-shave oil.
I think Arko sucks the oils out of your skin so adding some oil beforehand helps.
I wondered if it wasn't a reaction to the soap. The only reason I think it's razor burn is that I only feel it were I shaved, and not on other parts of my face/neck.

I agree that it's very drying.

Eight years ago I had the very same experience with Col Conk. It was the first and last time I tried shave soaps (for eight years)

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Arko can be drying to some (I have no issue with it). Good prep and perhaps making a wetter lather than you are used to could be an adjustment to consider.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
It does not hurt that my skin is like old leather on my face, but I find face lathering with Arko gives me the best shave possible. And wellkomen to B and B my friend. 99.3% of us here are lovely folks. Keep an eye on @rockviper though.... He hides in crevices and bites!

Throw a puck in the laundry washing machine and another is the dishwasher and see what happens. Of course, pics will be necessary (including those with SWMBO's scowl!)
Probably something similar to throwing one in the microwave for 10 minutes, just less of a fire hazard.

Tried Williams today. Very nice smell. Used it in my Old Spice mug. Face felt great afterwards.
I also really liked how it made my face feel. I know I've only tried three soaps, and all three are budget soaps, but Williams is my favorite thus far.

I also really liked how it made my face feel. I know I've only tried three soaps, and all three are budget soaps, but Williams is my favorite thus far.

I have tried around ten. Williams isn't the best, but it does punch quite above it's cost, IMO. The face feel was quite surprising at the cost!

After reading this, I’m going to have to open one of my pucks over the holidays and try it out. I was trying to wait because I already have 16 soaps plus 14 samples on a daily rotation. I guess Williams can be my 31st day soap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I broke a puck out tonight and tried it for the first time. It worked great. I scraped some off in my scuttle and whipped up a very good lather with my Omega Pro 49 Boar. I had enough lather for 3 face passes and 2 head passes. I will say the lemongrass is strong in it though but not displeasing. I have other shave products with lemongrass so it didn’t bother me at all. It will stay on my list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two more shaves w/ Arko. Well, 1.5 shaves at least. The next day after getting burnt I really only took some length off the stubble. That was all I had the bravery to do.

This morning was better. I was still very cautious and a bit irritated from two days ago, so I wasn't quite going for the usual closeness. No further irritation, but I still haven't quite gotten the hang of lathering with this soap.

I think my first shave with Arko was too wet. I'll have to pay attention next time I use Williams or VDH, but I think both those soaps like more water. For me, there seems to be a pretty narrow bubble between too dry and too wet. More practice is needed.

I know a lot of people really like Arko so I really want to give it the benefit of the doubt before I make a personal verdict and move to the next soap. A buddy sent me some Prorasso, so that's next.

I am always reluctant to purchase shave soaps and creams made in Mediterranean countries like Turkey and Italy. Thus, I avoid products like Proraso, Cella, and Arko. It is not that they are bad soaps; but they were designed for folks with Mediterranean type skin, which is far different than my sensitive Scots-Irish complexion. If you are getting razor burn, it may be that you are using a soap that does not provide enough cushion/protection for your face.

Two more shaves w/ Arko. Well, 1.5 shaves at least. The next day after getting burnt I really only took some length off the stubble. That was all I had the bravery to do.

This morning was better. I was still very cautious and a bit irritated from two days ago, so I wasn't quite going for the usual closeness. No further irritation, but I still haven't quite gotten the hang of lathering with this soap.

I think my first shave with Arko was too wet. I'll have to pay attention next time I use Williams or VDH, but I think both those soaps like more water. For me, there seems to be a pretty narrow bubble between too dry and too wet. More practice is needed.

I know a lot of people really like Arko so I really want to give it the benefit of the doubt before I make a personal verdict and move to the next soap. A buddy sent me some Prorasso, so that's next.

You may find you will have to experiment for quite some time to get the correct combination that works for you. Don't become frustrated, let it come. Also good idea to let all heal if you can before trying again, if you can.

You may find you will have to experiment for quite some time to get the correct combination that works for you. Don't become frustrated, let it come. Also good idea to let all heal if you can before trying again, if you can.
Great shave this morning. Finally got the Arko shave everyone talks about. For me, the answer for my Arko troubles was more product. With more product, it's easier to dial-in the right amount of H20 because it takes more to make it "too wet". I also found it to be a lot less drying.

I am always reluctant to purchase shave soaps and creams made in Mediterranean countries like Turkey and Italy. Thus, I avoid products like Proraso, Cella, and Arko. It is not that they are bad soaps; but they were designed for folks with Mediterranean type skin, which is far different than my sensitive Scots-Irish complexion. If you are getting razor burn, it may be that you are using a soap that does not provide enough cushion/protection for your face.
I hadn't thought about this, but makes sense to me.

I too am a Scotch-Irish descendant. I face lather with extreme caution. So far I haven't had too much trouble with a bowl or palm lather. Come to think of it, I face lathered only when I received my Arko burn.

I too am a Scotch-Irish descendant. I face lather with extreme caution. So far I haven't had too much trouble with a bowl or palm lather. Come to think of it, I face lathered only when I received my Arko burn.

Some people get what I call "brush burn" from synthetic brushes combined with unlathered soap. The slightest lather prevents it. Might try wetting the Arko with hands, slightly lathering, and see if this helps. I don't have/nor have used Arko, but assume you can get at least a small amount of foam by hand rubbing.

My eyes are blue and I have a ruddy complexion. I have a heriditary condition called rosacea. My skin is quite thin and the blood vessels are just beneath the surface. That makes my skin highly sensitive. I cannot use a prickly, scritchy brush. I bowl lather and then paint the lather onto my face to prevent brush irritation. I like using high quality soaps that provide excellent slickness, excellent cushion, and excellent post shave conditioning. Also, as a senior citizen with a white beard, my beard is tough, so I have to have a blade that is both sharp and smooth, whether it is a straight razor or a DE.

Top Bottom