What's new

House Find! Straight Razor....

I was going through some old family boxes and ran across a box marked Pyramid Brand. In it was a straight razor. It was made by the Crane Cutlery Co., USA. It looks in near mint condition. So I took and old toothbrush and scrubbed it with Dawn. It is razor sharp and looks hardly used. The total length is 9 inches and the blade is three inches. Is it stainless or chrome? IDK. There are no dings in the blade or pitting. The handle is plastic. Since I've been a DE shaver for the last 10 years+ (Merkur 34c, trumpers, shark blades, rooney badger brush) maybe I should take the plunge and use this. It looks ready to go.

What do you think? Do you have any info on Crane Straight Razors?

IMG_0138.JPG
IMG_0139.JPG
IMG_0137.JPG
IMG_0140.JPG

OOOH that looks nice. I recently acquired a Crane, it looks very much like that one. I know Crane is a popular knife brand and is known for having good steel. I like to peruse the eBay listings for random razors, I don't often see Crane's listed but when they are they get snapped up quickly. I don't know that they are necessarily "Valuable" but they tend to fetch a decent mid-range price. I'll have to consult my little handbook but I think Crane and "kissing crane" are the very same company but the "kissing crane" are stamped with a logo that looks like two cranes kissing.

I would say you have a very solid find there. If no body else offers, I'll hone it up for you so you can give it a try.

Does it need honing? It seems awfully sharp. I will try it out tonight and see....

If it has been sitting for a while I would at least strop it a lot to clean up the edge and make sure their are no small burrs that might give you a nasty irritation. If something is out of order you will find out when she tares up the strop. Even newspaper our your jeans will work as a temporary solution. It will also help to remove any fine rust on the edge.

My bet is it will need honing, but it is possible it was put away ready to go. You MUST strop that blade before using. In the absence of a leather strop you can use a few layers of news paper laid flat on a paper note pad which is flat on the counter. You run that edge SPINE first over the paper, applying only enough pressure to keep it flat against the surface. Do 20 times in each direction and if the edge is otherwise sharp you will be ready to go. A news paper strop before and after each shave can go a long way to keep that edge nice and sherp

Check in over in the straight edge forum, plenty of advice and support over there.

*If you have never used a straight before there is one thing you MUST rememeber (there are many things but this is the biggest). ...keep the spine very close to your face. If you lift that spine too far away (as we ALL do at some point or another) you will pay for it in irritation or blood. When we are new at it we tend to think we need to feel the edge scraping over out skin, we don't.

Well the shave didn't go well...It didn't cut my whiskers at all. I guess I need it worked on....

Well the shave didn't go well...It didn't cut my whiskers at all. I guess I need it worked on....

Great find! You have a quality razor there. If you like I will hone it up for you no charge just shipping. I am not a professional honer but I enjoy it and am getting pretty good at it :) PM me if you are interested and we will set it up.

I have quality stones and a plethora of finishers to chose from lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great find! You have a quality razor there. If you like I will hone it up for you no charge just shipping. I am not a professional honer but I enjoy it and am getting pretty good at it :) PM me if you are interested and we will set it up.

I have quality stones and a plethora of finishers to chose from lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beat me to it didn't you..... :001_tt2::001_tt2::001_tt2::001_tt2::001_tt2:

@jay29
Nice find! Take Sdm84 up on his offer and c'mon over to the straights forum and introduce yourself. There is a lot of information to be had.

I took Sdm84 on his offer. I started a conversation with him. It was found in my maternal grandfather's belongings. I assume it was his. They are all passed so I cant ask anyone. It does need attention. I would have had better luck shaving with a butter knife.

Top Bottom