What's new

Houbigant Fougere Royal

Yes. Fantastic fragrance. I am sure it is not like the 1800s version, but it is really good. I normally dislike Fougeres, but this one is superb. Here are my notes from when I tested the fragrance last year before I bought a full bottle:

"The history of this fragrance and this house is well known, so I won't belabor the heritage.

The fragrance opens with a big blast of soft citrus and sharp lavender and then goes into a green middle that also features sage, cinnamon and florals. The base notes of oakmoss and amber round this out beautifully.

I have never been a huge fan of Fougeres, but I like this a lot. The only other similar scent I have liked has been Floris Santal. And similar to Floris, what stands out here is the quality of the components and the fact that it all seems natural/botanicals derived.

I think this is probably too old school to be worn by a younger crowd and really does well with a suit and tie. But it also seems at home for a night out on the town. It is much more manly than it may seem on first sniff as my kids and wife all commented on how awesome it smelled like a man that came in from the woods. Something I didn't pick up on at all.

Longevity is merely average, so I don't expect this to last more than 6 hours or so and sillage is also moderate. At $60, I consider this to be a fantastic price for a modern-classic masterpiece."

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Fougere Royale is magnificent in both interations aka Eau de Parfum and Extrait! The EdP is lighter and more effervescent while the Extrait is a deep, rich affair but never heavy. I love them both but the Extrait is a budget buster at $600.00 MSRP. It can be had cheaper but the way to get it is in purse spray form. A 10ml vaporizer can be had for $14.00 with a bit of hunting (I think...No sure what the stocks are like anymore). I loaded up when I had the chance!

EDIT: Looks like the sellers have gotten wise to my tricks as the purse sprays have jumped to about $30.00 for 10mls.

Last edited:
It's quite nice and one that I enjoy wearing. The classic fougere by which all others are judged.

With any cologne it's best to secure a sample and wear it at least a few times before purchasing a bottle. Once you do then look on sites like MaxAroma and Fragrancenet and find the largest coupon codes to apply.

Top Bottom