What's new

Hotel Hacks

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I always cover or put rolled-up facial tissue in the door peep hole. That's because you can look in through the things just as easily as you can look out.

When I travel, I always set my wrist watch alarm as a back-up. So far no trouble setting the alarm clock in the rooms.
I do cell phone and request a wake up call. Most chain hotels have an automated system for this (used to be the front desk clerk).

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Want to keep beer cold when there is no refrigerator? Put it in the sink and fill it with ice from the machine down the hall. If you have to wash your hands, use the tub.

there are a couple online services that you can use for free to setup a wake-up call too which can be a nice backup. My SIL is a flight attendant and insists on not walking on the carpets barefoot. makes a little path with spare towels. Another good tip she led me on to is to put the remote in a plastic Ziploc bag. That way its still easy to push the buttons, but less germy.

Some good ones here guys. Not walking barefoot on carpets reminded me a couple of years back I was in London for business, and staying at a Novotel - quite a decent hotel you would think. On day 1 I went shopping at lunchtime and brought a ready to wear shirt and unwrapped it, took all the pins and plastic clips M&S insist on using off so I could get it laundered. I accidently dropped one and didn't notice I had. Day 3, I was putting my shoes on and spotted it under the bed. I decided to leave it there and see if it got swept up.

It was still there when I checked out on day 6...

I have wanted to get a Styrofoam cereal bowl from the breakfast nook early in the morning to use as a disposable lather bowl, but my need to travel decreased a lot about the time I began shaving with a double edge razor.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Alarm Clock - Just bring your own (whether it's your phone or another portable alarm). I never depend on the one in the room. Actually, I've noticed that more and more rooms do not even include them, so you may very well be out of luck if you were counting on one there. If you do have to depend on an in-room alarm, be sure and test the thing before relying on it.

Plugs/Chargers - It almost goes without saying that we never have enough plugs and chargers, especially if you have more than one person in the room. Some newer hotels and some renovated ones have a good number of convenient places to plug this in, but a lot of hotels still do not. I keep SOMETHING LIKE THIS in my travel bag. It plugs in to any wall outlet and the cord ensures that I'll have a convenient place to plug it. The fact that it has a "wall outlet" on it ensures that I'm fine even if I have to unplug a lamp to get to a convenient plug. It packs easily, and it's cheap enough to just keep it in my travel bag. While I often also travel with a small battery/charger, this thing is easier to deal with.

Don't Forget - Toss a Post-It pad in your bag, too. When it comes to keys, chargers, stuff in the safe, a pillow you may have brought, or whatever, write your room check-out list on a Post-It and put it on your door (or doorknob or door latch or mirror or whatever you need to put it on and all the above).

Germs - Wash your hands and relax.

I have wanted to get a Styrofoam cereal bowl from the breakfast nook early in the morning to use as a disposable lather bowl, but my need to travel decreased a lot about the time I began shaving with a double edge razor.

Go with face lathering and avoid the bother, altogether.

For charging a smartphone, tablet, camera batteries or other low power devices, I keep a short 6 foot extension cord in my carry on, since the outlets are sometimes in bad locations or without enough free space to connect a wall wart.

I also carry a small US-EU Flat to Round Power Plug Convertor Adapter, it is small enough to leave in the travel bag so it is never forgotten. That adapter plus a ink pen w/cap to depress the ground prong to unlock the plug will get your universal voltage power charger working in many parts of the world.
proxy.php

proxy.php

I spend about 200 nights a year in hotels in various cities around the world. I also dead head a lot on passenger planes as I position for my working flights.

I never go anywhere without a flash light and an emergency escape hood. Most people die from smoke inhalation not the fire itself. I have had to evacuate from one high rise hotel fire already. Aircraft fill with smoke at an alarming rate.

Breath of Life Emergency Escape Mask (BOL001) | SurvivalMetrics.com | Survival Metrics, LLC - https://www.survivalmetrics.com/store/Item/id-breath-of-life-escape-gas-mask-urban-survival

For charging a smartphone, tablet, camera batteries or other low power devices, I keep a short 6 foot extension cord in my carry on, since the outlets are sometimes in bad locations or without enough free space to connect a wall wart.

I also carry a small US-EU Flat to Round Power Plug Convertor Adapter, it is small enough to leave in the travel bag so it is never forgotten. That adapter plus a ink pen w/cap to depress the ground prong to unlock the plug will get your universal voltage power charger working in many parts of the world.
proxy.php

proxy.php

What about difference in power frequency? 60 Hz in North America, 50 Hz in the UK, and Japan has both 60 and 50 Hz. Converted to DC shouldn't matter, since it's, well, DC, but don't know.

I spend about 200 nights a year in hotels in various cities around the world. I also dead head a lot on passenger planes as I position for my working flights.

I never go anywhere without a flash light and an emergency escape hood. Most people die from smoke inhalation not the fire itself. I have had to evacuate from one high rise hotel fire already. Aircraft fill with smoke at an alarming rate.

Breath of Life Emergency Escape Mask (BOL001) | SurvivalMetrics.com | Survival Metrics, LLC - https://www.survivalmetrics.com/store/Item/id-breath-of-life-escape-gas-mask-urban-survival

I always carry a small flashlight. I wear one, anyway, because it's so handy at work. I carry a single AAA LED Maglight in the pocket of my sleeping shorts even at home. Have never heard of an emergency escape hood before now.

BTW, everyone here familiarizes themselves with the escape plan on or near the hotel room door, right?

A friend was once on a vacation to Mexico City when the earthquake hit in 1985. They made it down safely, then realized they left their passports in their room.That's something else to think about.

Want to keep beer cold when there is no refrigerator? Put it in the sink and fill it with ice from the machine down the hall. If you have to wash your hands, use the tub.
The sink is a little small. I always used the tub for beer and washed my hands in the sink.

Some good ones here guys. Not walking barefoot on carpets reminded me a couple of years back I was in London for business, and staying at a Novotel - quite a decent hotel you would think. On day 1 I went shopping at lunchtime and brought a ready to wear shirt and unwrapped it, took all the pins and plastic clips M&S insist on using off so I could get it laundered. I accidently dropped one and didn't notice I had. Day 3, I was putting my shoes on and spotted it under the bed. I decided to leave it there and see if it got swept up.

It was still there when I checked out on day 6...

I wear cheap beach sandals (not flip-flops) as slippers most of the year, anyway, and carry them on trips. Easy to buy in the summer; not so easy the rest of the year.

If you want a real horror story, look up accounts of guests who've found dead bodies in their rooms.

The sink is a little small. I always used the tub for beer and washed my hands in the sink.

You can fill a trash can with ice and water especially if it has a plastic bag as a liner. Spin each can of beer for a few minutes in the ice water. I don't know why, but the spinning rapidly cools the can.

What about difference in power frequency? 60 Hz in North America, 50 Hz in the UK, and Japan has both 60 and 50 Hz. Converted to DC shouldn't matter, since it's, well, DC, but don't know.
Most of those small USB chargers operate at 50/60 Hertz and a range of voltages. My dual port USB wall wart operates between 110-240 Volts AC and 50/60 Hz and has always worked. Had an issue in Kenya where the voltage is 240, where it worked in a couple of places but refused to operate in another where I suspect the line voltage was a little more than 240V.

But as you note, it is always best to check your gadget's needs before traveling.

Last edited:
Most of those small USB chargers operate at 50/60 Hertz and a range of voltages. My dual port USB wall wart operates between 110-240 Volts AC and 50/60 Hz and has always worked. Had an issue in Kenya where the voltage is 240, where it worked in a couple of places but refused to operate in another where I suspect the line voltage was a little more than 240V.

But as you note, it is always best to check your gadget's needs before traveling.

Oddly, this was on my mind because of a group of Chinese who came to visit America, and didn't realize the difference in voltage and frequency until they got here.

As soon as I get to my room will unpack my suits hang them on the shower curtain rod and then get the shower running as hot as possible for ~10 minutes. That will take out any wrinkles from being in the suitcase. I long gave up being too skeeved out by walking barefoot on the carpet. That said will do my best not to touch the bedspread particularly near the end (where some people will sit with their bare asses). Normally never have any need to use the in room phone but will give the TV remote a few passes with an alcohol wipe. Unless it comes with a disposable plastic liner will NEVER use the ice bucket. With the exception of a few hotels where I know they change the glassware everyday I'll take a couple of glasses and wash them with some dr bronner's I keep in my dopp kit. Will run a couple of cycles of just water through the coffee machine.

In my checked luggage I'll always throw in a pouch that includes a assorted office supplied like a few post-its, paper clips, a small stapler, a compact roll of packing tape, a couple blank UPS & FedEx waybills and a few tyvek envelopes.

My dopp kit has a Leatherman (with a corkscrew), a Nitecore Tube, extra collar stays, a pair of cheap cufflinks, small selection of first-aid items.

Not hotel related but instead travel related. Read recently suggestions from TSA on expediting travel. The one that stuck out to me was to take a picture of your checked bag. If it is misplaced it makes it easier for TSA to find it and get it to you. Went on to say that all bags are black. So to describe it as a medium size black bag - well, that does not help as much as an actual picture.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Always use the kettle to boil a pot of water as soon as I check into the room. Old habit from early Asia travels. Power would often go out and water service was often spotty. At least I had clean water. The first pot I use to rinse drinking glasses and coffee cups in the room.

Top Bottom