What's new

Hotel coffee

No, I am not talking about that flavor crystal "stuff" that is in some hotel rooms.. I am looking for suggestions on what I can do that is pretty compact, good, and doesn't make too much of a mess. I have seen suggestions for via, aeropress, french press, and even brink a kettle. Whatever solution I use will need work with both 120/240 voltage.

I generally roast my own beans and have a small hand grinder. I picked up an expandable holder and paper filters (minimize mess). I don't have a good solution to heat the water. Ideal is when there is a tea kettle in the room (not as often as I like) and sometimes a coffee maker can be jury rigged to make hot water but the machines are normally pretty dirty and it takes awhile to get clear water out of them. I have seen the little immersion heaters but don't have any first hand experience with them. But I am thinking that an immersion heater would require two cups (one to heat the water and the other below the filter to contain the coffee).

Is there a small dual voltage tea kettle or is there a better way to make water hot? Also I would be interested in changing from pour over to another approach if it does not generate too much mess. I tried french press in a mug but I make too much of a mess when dumping the leftover grinds.

Thoughts?

Ruckin.

I think a small water kettle, or some other water heating methond, and any of the suggestions mentioned in the OP, esp Aeropress or French Press for compactness. I would choose Aeropress over fp for the simpler (and fun "pop!") cleanup. Really can't go wrong.

I have a water kettle in the back of my vehicle that goes with my travel coffee kit. In the kit is a Lido 2 grinder and a jewelry scale with some jars of coffee and I use the Bobble Presse brew mugs for making the coffee. These brew mugs work great, you put in the ground coffee and hot water and let it steep and then press down the inner sleeve. They keep the coffee hot for hours, sometimes too hot, so I like to use slightly cooler water or leave the inner sleeve off until the press. It's my grab and go coffee solution at home, too, I can grind up 18 grams and throw it in the mug, pour in hot water from the water cooler up 3/4 full and head out to the car while it's still brewing and just press down the inner sleeve when 5 minutes is up. I've gotten a hot water fill-up from Carl's Jr and even Starbucks (with purchase for my family) and brewed coffee out of the back of my car on road trips. The picture below is from a recent camping trip.

I have an immersion heating coil and you could us it in the stainless steel cup of the Presse and then just pour in the coffee and press it down. The coil may even pack inside the Presse, I like the fact that I don't have a separate cup from the brewer but if you're making coffee for more than one you'll want more than one Presse or just decant the coffee into small cups. Clean up is a bit more involved with the Presse too, you'll need to clean out the coffee grounds when you're done drinking. I usually rinse, swirl, and send them down the commode or in the garden or plants, since other's have reported that dumping ground coffee in hotel room trash cans has gotten them dinged for smoking in a non-smoking room as the ground coffee sometimes gets mistaken for cigarette smoke smell. I like the kettles better than the immersion coil, sometimes they're likely to burn out. Bonavita makes a dual voltage 0.5 l travel kettle (and a cheaper 120 V only, so make sure you get the dual voltage) and a search of Amazon for "dual voltage travel kettle" brings up some other candidates. I got my kettle at a thrift store and use it for 120 V only.

$Travel Kit (Custom).jpg

I have the Bonita 0.5L in 120V and love it. Heats up quickly. Plastic lid, but other than that everything touching the water is stainless steel. Heating element is enclosed. Do a price comparison and see if it's cheaper to buy the 120V version and an international plug adapter, rather than the 120/240V model.
Amazon has the kettle for $40 or less, when it's in stock. Tends to sell out quickly, and then they pop up on eBay upwards of $60.

Wow. Lovely kit! I have the Hario Mini Grinder. If I actually had a reason to travel anywhere I would definitely opt for this kit, cap and all.

Okay so I am going to be the outlyer here but, I don't travel a lot for work (2-3) times a year, but when I do I usually bring an electric kettle. Does it take up room? A little. I have forgotten once to bring one. So I remembered a trick from my Marine Corps days. Bring a metal cup, preferable stainless. Turn the hotel iron upside down and stabilize it. This can be done with towels, books, or other objects. The iron when set to high can boil water. On a less hygienic note...I have made grilled cheese sandwiches, soup, ramen, and other snacks and meals off of an iron before...

Don't Judge! :001_smile

Okay so I am going to be the outlyer here but, I don't travel a lot for work (2-3) times a year, but when I do I usually bring an electric kettle. Does it take up room? A little. I have forgotten once to bring one. So I remembered a trick from my Marine Corps days. Bring a metal cup, preferable stainless. Turn the hotel iron upside down and stabilize it. This can be done with towels, books, or other objects. The iron when set to high can boil water. On a less hygienic note...I have made grilled cheese sandwiches, soup, ramen, and other snacks and meals off of an iron before...

That's a good trick! I'll have to try that one just to say I've done it.

So you are the reason I ironed melted cheese into my shirt! :angry: . Actually I like the idea... I travel 10-12 times a year (mostly US or Europe). I know it is bad but I normally end up checking my bag as I bring DE blades or a shavette. I currently use a porlex grinder and a silicone filter holder and a small ziplock for the beans. I will need to check out the dual voltage kettle and maybe get an aeropress to play with. I know that when I was using a french press the maids were not happy with the messy coffee grounds. Does the aeropress eject an espresso like puck?

Ruckin.

The aeropress ejects the grounds, along with the filter, in a dryish puck of coffee grounds. Wherever it lands it will surely fall apart into more of a pile, but it is stupid simple to point it to the trash can and ring it every time. And I love the satisfying "pop" that you hear when you do it. :tongue_sm

Haha I did that too for cup ramen... I just used aluminum foil as a barrier ... When I travel it's usually to work at a pharmacy so I have access to simple house goods anyways

I don't have much to suggest, as I would be inclined to take relatively full gear (electric kettle) if traveling by car, but nothing if traveling by plane due to space restrictions and weight. And live with whatever the hotel provides or else seek from outside. Whether traveling for work or pleasure, I don't spend very much time in the hotel room in the morning before heading out for coffee. :)

That said, I have been interested in bringing freshly roasted coffee, either pre-ground or whole bean. My question related to that is does the TSA view this as "food" if brought on in carry on luggage? In other words, will airport security confiscate whole bean/ground coffee carried in one's laptop bag? I believe they will at international crossings, but I am not sure about US domestic flights.

I've never had a problem with carrying on coffee, a grinder, Aeropress, etc. on domestic flights, but they do frown on brewing coffee in-flight these days.

I used to use the Aeropress at work and even with using a reusable metal filter instead of the paper filters cleanup was a breeze; I'd remove the lid and then wipe the coffee off the metal filter by pulling it sideways holding it against the Aeropress and then pop the grounds puck into the trash. Another advantage is that brewing coffee with the Aeropress is much quicker with no requirement for a fancy goose neck kettle.

If your room has a stove or you can find an acceptably-sized portable hot plate, you should consider a moka pot.

Makes a lot of sense. Maybe I need one if it isn't messier. Tips on which one to buy?

Doesn't matter. I've had mine for nearly ten years and it hasn't changed at all. There's one version. Different shades, maybe. I've seen some clear and some tinted gray or brown. Just find one and go for it. I think $25 to $30 is the going price, same as ten years ago.

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. But please keep in mind that if the new ones are better you know I'm gonna have to upgrade. :001_tt2:

Top Bottom