What's new

Hot towel first? or Preshave first?

I changed from what I was doing in November. I now wet my face, apply the small amount (4 drops) of oil to my face and begin with the hot towel applications (usually 4). My favorite oil is Stirling unscented. Its thicker than the locally bought oil I had been using and leaves an after shave effect that I really like. It takes me about an hour to shave and I love it. LOL.

Interesting. In barber school, I was not taught to use pre-shave oil. I know there are barbers who do use oils during a shave, but to be honest I have never seen a shave performed using oils. In school, I was taught hot towel, shaving cream (which is pre-mixed soap dispensed from a lather warming machine), hot towel, shaving cream, shave, then a final hot towel. For shaving my own head, I put a hot washcloth on before shaving. Where I work now, we do not perform hot towel shaves, we just apply lather and shave with a cartridge razor. This saves time and reduces risk of cutting. I’ve been working at this shop for three years, and have not cut anyone with a cartridge razor yet.
I do an extensive lathering routine when I shave my friends. Very reminiscent of the 60s. They all love it. Lather applied by hand.

Newbie to B&B here but not to SR shaving.
Using a Feather SS and Soap Opera (Madison, WI) preshave oil, shave cream and post shave lotion (all unscented).

I usually do a hot towel first, then apply preshave oil. But I've seen some people recommend the hot towel after the preshave oil.

I've tried both ways and find advantages and disadvantages to both. Wondering if there is a consensus. The local barber when I was growing up always hot toweled first, back in the day when haircut and shave was routine.

(Lets keep this focused on the hot towel routine please, I know lots of folks don't believe in it...)
Everyone seems to find their own path as regards pre-shave routine. I have tried many and I still go back to basics -- hot water splash. And it works great for me. Having said that, I do enjoy Proraso preshave creams. A little treat.

Top Bottom