What's new

Hot stuff!

I was reading Holyhabenaros hall of fame post and I noticed that he collects hot sauces. I thought it would be interesting to see what everyones favorite hot sauce is, My vote is for the MELINDA"S line very nice pepper flavor and moderate to high heat with no vinegar bite- they use lime juice for acidity.For a vinegar based, the old standby Tabasco is hard to beat.
Jim

I will never be without Tabasco in my kitchen. Other standby's include Cholula, Blairs Death sauces, and Dave's Insanity sauce. Also, I grow a variety of hot peppers in my garden as well

Cholula is definitely a staple around my house. Yet so is Sriracha. I find Srirach to be addictive and I end up putting it on everything.

My favorite hot sauce varies with what food I am putting it on. All of my favorites are homeade and a couple of them are recipes that were passed down from my parents.

I view Tobasco & Dave's Insanity, as mentioned by Scotto, as good ingredients, but nothing special by themselves. Also mentioned by Scotto, fresh peppers make all of the difference in a hot sauce. Some of my favorite peppers to include are:
Habanero
Cayenne
Jalapeno/Chipotle
Poblano​

Scotto said:
I will never be without Tabasco in my kitchen. Other standby's include Cholula, Blairs Death sauces, and Dave's Insanity sauce. Also, I grow a variety of hot peppers in my garden as well

Blairs Death sauces, and Dave's Insanity sauces are great... and Mad Dog too!

Being a traditionalist, I'm still addicted to Tabasco. I still remember vacationing in Michigan when I was 10 and asking the waitress for Tabasco on my eggs. She looked at me like I was from Mars or something. I really got hooked while I was in the Navy since the food was so unbelievably bland. I would use Tabasco on every meal just to make the food slightly more interesting.

Although there are a lot of good hot sauces, I usually don't need them for the food my wife and I cook. During the cooking process we add all the heat we need via chiles and chile sauces. :mad5:

I highly recommend that any and all chile heads visit the Hatch Chile Festival held every Labor Day weekend in Hatch, N.M. It's the chile capital of the world and the food is unbelievable.

This is my favorite. I used to order it off ebay by the Case, but can't find it any longer for the right price, and I'm running low on supply and having to ration:

View attachment 1118

Marie Sharp's Fiery Hot Sauce :yikes:

Nestled in the foothills of the Mayan Mountains, Marie Sharp's factory still creates products the old-fashioned way: using the freshest vegetables and the finest ingredients. This classic sauce uses a carrot base and is carefully blended to achieve a delicate balance between flavor and heat..

Ingredients: Select Red Habanero Peppers, Fresh Carrots, Onions, Key Lime Juice, Vinegar, Garlic, Salt

inkling said:
...I still remember vacationing in Michigan when I was 10 and asking the waitress for Tabasco on my eggs. She looked at me like I was from Mars or something...

Whenever I make eggs (especially scrambled eggs) I add cayenne pepper to the raw eggs rather than adding hot sauce after it is cooked. However, if you try to order this in a resturant you will either (a) be told "no" or (b) be taking your life in your hands - some people don't know how much to use it... if you are eating out, use the tabasco but if you are cooking teh eggs at home try the cayenne; trust me.

NMMB said:
Whenever I make eggs (especially scrambled eggs) I add cayenne pepper to the raw eggs rather than adding hot sauce after it is cooked. However, if you try to order this in a resturant you will either (a) be told "no" or (b) be taking your life in your hands - some people don't know how much to use it... if you are eating out, use the tabasco but if you are cooking teh eggs at home try the cayenne; trust me.

I use cayenne pepper with my eggs too. Besides adding a good flavor and heat, its also known to "move the bowels."

TraderJoe said:
I use cayenne pepper with my eggs too. Besides adding a good flavor and heat, its also known to "move the bowels."

Thanks for sharing!:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

NMMB said:

That's a great idea! I usually add a bit of oregano while I'm cooking eggs, so I'll put in some cayenne at the same time. Speaking of culinary adventurism, tonight I made my first batch of Machaca beef and my made-up recipe worked pretty well (it usually takes me a few tries to get a new recipe just right). My two toddler daughters didn't care for the heat though, so they were stuck with PB&J's. :001_rolle

A big hot sauce fan here, and I have and love almost every sauce mention here already. But, without a doubt, the absolute best sauce for pure flavour has to be this novelty-packaged Blasting Sauce...it was literally gone within 36 hours.
proxy.php

Highly recommended.

roughrider said:
I love this stuff. It's called Sriracha. You see at most asian restaurants.

proxy.php

When I lived in Halifax I frequented a Chinese take-out where I fell in love with this sauce (I put it on my noodles and, from time to time, would put it on the chicken rather than using one of the sweet sauces most North American Chinese places have)... Honestly though, I never thought of using it for anything other than Chinese food (weird associations, I suppose)

Top Bottom