What's new

Hot Sauce.

I'm in the market for some hot sauce. There's a store down the street that has a huge selection and I'd like to try out some new ones. Unfortunately, none of the clerks know much about them. I'm a fan of very spicy food, but I'm not necessarily looking for the hottest sauce possible--although I would be willing to pick up a bottle of that too. I've spent years zapping things with Tabasco and Texas Pete, and I periodically try other ones too. Any suggestions for something that is both hot and flavorful?

Check the ingredients listings on the bottles. Anything that list a pepper that is hotter than a cayenne could be in the scorch-your-mouth category. Cayenne is the pepper used in Franks Hot Sauce, or a "Louisiana" style hot sauce. Look for other things listed in the ingredients that would add flavor. For instance, Franks has garlic in it, which I like. I like to look for carrot based hot suaces.

Last edited:
Tapatio and Sonoran are my favorite sauces to splash on foods.

Tapatio is pretty available (at least here) Sonoran may just be a regional thing here in AZ and the southwest.

Melinda's is my favorite- Flavor first then heat.

full

These are the Extra hot, I prefer the original.

Last edited by a moderator:
I go for all sorts of hot sauces, as there are a great many available in Southern California. The one I use the most as a go-to standard is Cholula, which seems to have more flavor than burn, but both are very nicely balanced. Cholula has less of a vinegar aspect than sauces like Tapatio, and I prefer it that way. If I'm looking for a proper burn then I go for any mango habanero sauce I can get my hands on.

Oh, there's also Sriracha sauce, or Tuong Ot Sriracha I think the name is, which is a Vietnamese hot sauce, great with lots of things (eggs, stir fry, burritos, etc) and can really bring both flavor and fire. Look for the red bottle with a rooster on it.

Last edited:
If you like tabasco, the tabasco chipotle sauce is great. Depends on what you are putting it on also. I have tons of hot sauces. The siracha sauce is great if you are eating asian, noodles, or things like that.

La Guacamaya is good. I find it a little different from the usual red pepper hot sauces like Frank's.
Brazos Legends are ok too. SWMBO bought me a sample pack. I like the yellow pepper the best.
A long time ago I remember trying Dan T's Inferno white hot cayenne.
That stuff was hot!

EDIT: Cholula was the other one I was thinking of (Thanks Miles) that's good too.

Oh, there's also Sriracha sauce, or Tuong Ot Sriracha I think the name is, which is a Vietnamese hot sauce, great with lots of things (eggs, stir fry, burritos, etc) and can really bring both flavor and fire. Look for the red bottle with a rooster on it.

+1 for Sriracha. It's great stuff. Sambal Oelek is more of a wet chili paste that also packs a nice punch, but doesn't have the garlicky balance that Sriracha has.

If you like an addictive, spicy snack, you can get Sriracha coated peas (I think they're chickpeas) as a variation Wasabi peas.

+1 for Sriracha. It's great stuff. Sambal Oelek is more of a wet chili paste that also packs a nice punch, but doesn't have the garlicky balance that Sriracha has.

If you like an addictive, spicy snack, you can get Sriracha coated peas (I think they're chickpeas) as a variation Wasabi peas.

Oh yeah, that rooster stuff is good.

El Yucateco is my favorite, hands down. With a bottle of El Yucateco Green Habanero, El Yucateco Kutbil-Ik, some Sriracha and Louisiana Hot Sauce, you have every application covered!

Last edited:
Melinda's is good and they have different heat levels so you can get a bottle that's just right.

Check out Matouk's Flambeau Sauce if they have it. It's really nice, one of my top 5 hot sauces.

Marie Sharp's hot sauces are pretty good too.

Ring of Fire Original Habanero is my wife's favorite.

Edited to add my favorite hot sauce. Its hot but the flavor is really good. the bottle is a pain in the neck and I usually decant it into another bottle.

proxy.php

Last edited:
This is the stuff on the table at the Mexican place I love, I only use a little dab, but I find it has a wonderful peppery flavour to it.
proxy.php

Thanks for all the great suggestions! Right now, I've got a couple of Tabascos, Texas Pete, and Melinda's. I'm going to head down to the store tomorrow with my list in hand and do some shopping.

TheShaun

Bejeweled
El Yucateco is great. All their options offer something and none are unbearably hot. Excellent sauces. The green is my fav.

Top Bottom