What's new

Hot sauce junkie

yep...

Attachments

• 15148313194371596197249.jpg
    15148313194371596197249.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
You guys sure like to live dangerously with all these really hot hot sauces. I still like to taste my food without burning off a layer of taste buds. :)

I use Frank's Red Hot, Valentina's, and the Trader Joe's Green Dragon sauces.

I just saw this thread pop up in my feed, and I thought about the bottle of Reaper Sauce sitting in my fridge and my mouth instantly started salivating. Good stuff! A definite kick, but great flavor to boot!

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I have a few pepper growing and made my first small batch of hot sauce from them this weekend.
Crazy Kiwi Hot Sauce. Basically it's a mustard hot sauce. Pepper where scotch bonnets, Nebru 7 pod (cross scotch bonnet & 7 pod), habaneros and a Hungarian Yellow pepper.
The scotch bonnets where very small but there are bigger ones on the plant growing.

It has a good heat level with a building heat and a nice flavor.
I gave some to a work mate to try. He spread it on toast like peanut butter............I did warn him but some people need to learn the hard way. Yep hot but great flavor, just use less next time. :)

@oc_in_fw It's almost time to make a batch of the world famous Big O's.

20180316_160422.jpg

20180317_140034.jpg

20180317_141541.jpg

I always have salsas in the fridge, red and green, chunky, medium and hot... Colorado and New Mexico faves, mostly for chips and salsa when friends come over, and as a condiment for cooking. Plus bushels in zip locks of medium to hot Hatch roasted green Chile's. I love spicy foods.

Have tried a bunch of bottled hot sauces over the years, some good, some not so good, some REALLY hot... too hot.

There are two hot sauces in my fridge at the moment... large bottle of Tabasco and a small bottle of Pickapeppa... and am out of the Tabasco Chipotle. These three plus the salsas are what I truly enjoy. The super hot stuff... made from exotic ghost and other nuked peppers... I'll pass on the butt burn in the morning. YMMV.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Picked a few more peppers today.
Time to make some Big O's with a kick. I stayed true to Owens, @oc_in_fw recipe with just two slight changes. I used a mix of Nebru 7 Pod and Habanero's. I also added a few kaffir lime leaves from my tree as well and the lime zest & juice from some normal limes.

20180324_101257.jpg

Taste test did not burn me but has a growing heat, this is Big O's for the heat lovers. :)
Oh and the Big O's flavor I've come to like.

20180324_114826.jpg

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I need some help. I seem to have some dried Guajillo, Ancho, and Pisallo peppers. I'd like to make some not too hot sauce I can use on eggs in the morning or on a steak or hamburger. Chicken or chicken wings.

Any place to start on this would help.

Are there any fans of Indonesian Sambal ?

I keep a jar of Sambal Olek around. Presently use it to flavour cubes of tofu i'll add to a vegetable stir fry, use it in asian style noodle soups (ramen) and before i started using Sriracha, provided the heat in the sauce i mix up for my vegetable stir fries. Otherwise gets used randomly in Asian influenced dishes.
dave

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Made some hot sauce today from some Nebru 7 Pods and Scotch Bonnets.
Crazy Kiwi Mustard Hot Sauce. I think this one is quite nice. It's not as hot as I was expecting but still has a good amount of heat.

I've made this a few times before but have wanted to make it with the Scotch Bonnets for a while now.
As the Nebru 7 Pod is a cross between a Scotch Bonnet and a 7 Pod, giving it the bonnets flavor and the 7 pods heat, it did not take away from the flavor I was looking for in the sauce.

This one is a keeper in my books.

20180428_142446.jpg

20180428_163051.jpg

One of the best I've tried lately is Dirty Dicks hot sauce (for flavor).

I also received a PIF here for a homemade reaper sauce that was some quality flavor.

Some other good ones are:

High River Foo Foo Mama Choo
Torchbearer Zombie Apocalypse (pretty hot)
High River Rogue (somewhat hot)
Mad dog 357 w/ No. 9 plutonium is insanely hot, but really good flavor
Adoboloco Hamajang is crazy good (pretty hot)

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I made some Kiwifruit hot sauce today with a wing it reciepe.
Oven roasted some Nebru 7 pods and Habaneros and a head of garlic. Fried a chopped onion.
Blended all about with some apple cider vinegar, bush honey, juice of some lime, green kiwifruit, salt, pepper and ground ginger.

Placed some in a jar straight after blending and retuned the rest to the stove top to simmer for 10 minutes. That gave two totally different tastes.
I think the one straight from the blender had a fresher flavor.
The stove top one got a bit of brown sugar and a touch more ground ginger.

A taste test after they have aged for a week is needed before final judgment is made.

20180527_143203.jpg

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Picked up these today.
The bufalo hot sauce is tasty but very low on the heat. Perfect as I needed a low heat sauce for a change of pace.

20180706_152658.jpg

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Will you make a sauce from your pickings?
I'm going to make a salsa with a few of the tepins this weekend. The last one I made I couldn't stop eating it. SWMBO said it was the best I've ever made, simple, fresh and deliciouso. It helps to have fresh garden tomatoes and peppers for the task. I'll post my recipe in my salsa thread. The rest will go in the freezer until I have enough for at least two bottles of hot sauce.

Top Bottom