What's new

Hot sauce junkie

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Picked this one up today. It's made in South Africa, with a medium heat and very tasty.

20171027_151225.jpg

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Looks interesting

A few interesting ingredients listed. It list a brine, so assume the peppers are soaked in it first.
Parsley, Thyme and Oreganum.
They don't say what the pepper is but my guess is piri piri. Now as always YHLMV but 3.85% chilli.......needs a bit more heat. Still a very nice sauce.

20171027_193627.jpg

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Strange, usually the chili is listed as the first ingredient.

Not always but normally closer to the top than this one. If I made it then it would be on the top but that would change the flavor of the sauce.

On a side note, I got this from the South African shop in Petone. I've never taken the little woman there before, as they are closed Sunday and we do our own things on Saturday. Well that was a expensive trip. :)
I also picked up a boerewors sausage that should go well with this hot sauce.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Not always but normally closer to the top than this one. If I made it then it would be on the top but that would change the flavor of the sauce.

On a side note, I got this from the South African shop in Petone. I've never taken the little woman there before, as they are closed Sunday and we do our own things on Saturday. Well that was a expensive trip. :)
I also picked up a boerewors sausage that should go well with this hot sauce.
I picked up one of my favorites that I have not had in my collection for quite some time due to all the influx of other brands. It's fiery hot hot but delicious.

El Yucateco.jpeg

61fKUNOfEPL._SX522_.jpg

I just picked up a bottle of sauce that a guy makes locally. There no ingredients list, but as vary as I can tell it's just Trinidad Scorpion peppers and vinegar. Man that's some good sauce. And TONS of heat. Just a few drops will do ya. I love the flavor from that family of pepper.

I bought some peppers from him too. Harvested the seeds and I'll be planting them next year to make my own sauce.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I just picked up a bottle of sauce that a guy makes locally. There no ingredients list, but as vary as I can tell it's just Trinidad Scorpion peppers and vinegar. Man that's some good sauce. And TONS of heat. Just a few drops will do ya. I love the flavor from that family of pepper.

I bought some peppers from him too. Harvested the seeds and I'll be planting them next year to make my own sauce.

Growing your own peppers and making hot sauce is so much fun. The Trinidad Scorpion sauce sounds great.

I have a few pepper plants that I hope to make some nice sauce out of this summer.
Trinidad Scotch Bonnets, Nebru 7 Pod - a 7 pod Jonah crossed with Trinidad Yellow Scotch Bonnet. Then I also received from Aaron @DoctorShavegood some Tepin and filius blue pepper seeds. Now I just needs a good summer to get things growing. :)

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
That's a nice sauce for sure.
I've been reducing my rotation of late and will build it up again soon, just keeping it fresh.
I'll pick up one of those some time next month. BBQ season and hot sauce. :)

I'll be putting some on some pizza tonight.

I have a heck of a time growing peppers. My chili tepins and pequins turned out great this year but my other sweet and hot peppers just gave me fits.

Is that the regular Red Yucateco? The label looks a little different than the one I get up here. It also looks different color.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Is that the regular Red Yucateco? The label looks a little different than the one I get up here. It also looks different color.
There are 7 different flavors in the El Yuchteo family. The one I got is the Salsa Kutbilik. The one you may be referring to is the Salsa Picante, which has a more red colored sauce.

Red Sauce

Other night Granddad splashed some 'Blair's' on his rice dish like ketchup not knowing it's usually a toothpick head drop of sauce to a large crockpot of chili ratio. Let out a little yelp but did just fine. Marine of course. Happy 11/11...
upload_2017-11-11_7-57-40.png

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Spotted this green sriracha, so it is my first hot sauce purchase of 2018.

I taste tested a normal one and this green one back to back and can taste the difference. The difference is subtle, very mild heat wise, smooth with that sriracha flavor profile.

20180101_105720.jpg

Several sauces made with Carolina Reapers can be found at Pucker Butt Pepper Company. The company was founded by the developer of the Reaper.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Sounds good

Waiting for the plant to grow is the hardest part.
Aaron sent me a few seeds which I'm looking forward to trying, tabasco, filius blue & chiltepin pepper. Thanks again, Aaron.
I also have a couple of habaneros, a scotch bonnet, Nebru 7 Pod (cross Scotch Bonnet & 7 Pod for some real heat), Sannam (Indian chilli, it was a freebie) and a Hungarian yellow.

Should make for some interesting brews. No fixed plans yet.

These are the filius blue & chiltepin pepper from, Aaron. Picking just a few months away till sauce time.

20180101_155825.jpg

20180101_155859.jpg

Top Bottom